AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be nice if Alfaobd could just copy the mileage and hours from the PCM to the cluster. That would satisfy the legal aspect of changing a cluster and not aide in changing mileage to cheat a buyer.

I would hate to see Alfaobd get shut down for adding the mileage change functionality and eventually it will be if the capability is there.

This is where my concern is. If there is any backlash on Alfa then it goes away.
It is what it is at this point. Everyone has a different view on it but I'd hate to loose an awesome tool because a few people got stupid with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be nice if Alfaobd could just copy the mileage and hours from the PCM to the cluster. That would satisfy the legal aspect of changing a cluster and not aide in changing mileage to cheat a buyer.

I would hate to see Alfaobd get shut down for adding the mileage change functionality and eventually it will be if the capability is there.

+1!

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I also find this option appealing, really don’t care too much about it other than I got a cluster sitting the back seat itching to go in and Im being cheap and don’t wanna send it off to have it done, nor worry about getting it put in exactly at a certain mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree, if Alfa would simply copy the mileage and hours from the BCM/ECM (wherever that 2nd storage location is that is not the EVIC) into the EVIC and not allow the user to change the values, would be the best way and shouldn't have any legal issues.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Agreed, and best answer yet sir

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Even if he adds a disclaimer to his software about not being liable for any changes made. But I do agree making it be able to just copy mileage and hours and transfer it to the cluster would be a great option. I haven't seen anywhere in alphaobd that shows mileage other than that in the rf hub in system ID. But that only reads what the cluster displays. I verified with my current cluster and with my new cluster. Not sure why alphaobd reads it in kilometers but not hard to convert to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RamPL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if I seen is yet, is there any way to turn off MDS?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if I seen is yet, is there any way to turn off MDS?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I asked the developer a while ago but never heard back. The best bet might be to show him a log pulled from a truck that has been tuned and had MDS disabled. Not quite sure Alfa would have access to the setting, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm sure Alfa won't corrupt anything, but don't underestimate my ability to break things.

[emoji137]I'm one of the few who have had Alfa corrupt something.. twice.

Both clusters I have now read an insane amount of engine hours, I found a bug months ago with the app and thought it was caused by the second hand cluster... Until I did managed to do it to my factory cluster a month or so ago.

Doing something under the old IP settings would cause it to change languages and corrupt the hour meter. I think it was trying to disable the seatbelt chime.

I asked the dev to look into it, he said he thinks he fixed the issue and was going to try and add the ability to change the hours for the few users who accidentally had issues from the bug.

He added the bit there but it's bugged and doesn't work. Hoping there will be another update soon that fixes it so I can reset my hour meter.

I'm hoping it's stored on the PCM so I can get the exact number but I'm afraid I might have to do math to get an estimate. :(

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I asked the developer a while ago but never heard back. The best bet might be to show him a log pulled from a truck that has been tuned and had MDS disabled. Not quite sure Alfa would have access to the setting, though.

There's settings under the EcoD ecu asking if it has a turbo and if it has emisions equipment in the exhaust... Don't remember the exact options.

Ive wondered if I could remove the emisions equipment in the exhaust and disable it through Alfa to prevent the need to have the ECU re-tuned to run properly. Haven't played around with it because my trucks still under warranty but would love to know if it's possible.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Both clusters I have now read an insane amount of engine hours, I found a bug months ago with the app and thought it was caused by the second hand cluster... Until I did managed to do it to my factory cluster a month or so ago.

Doing something under the old IP settings would cause it to change languages and corrupt the hour meter. I think it was trying to disable the seatbelt chime.

I asked the dev to look into it, he said he thinks he fixed the issue and was going to try and add the ability to change the hours for the few users who accidentally had issues from the bug.

He added the bit there but it's bugged and doesn't work. Hoping there will be another update soon that fixes it so I can reset my hour meter.

I'm hoping it's stored on the PCM so I can get the exact number but I'm afraid I might have to do math to get an estimate. :(

I haven't seen anywhere in the body Control or rf hub logs where hour's are coming up, as I said in my last post only mileage I've seen is in the rf hub logs and that is reading from the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Dang, that stinks, man. I don't think I'll attempt it unless somebody else confirms it works. Not worth the worry for me. I'll just "pay to play" and get a pro to change the hours and miles. Thanks for the warning and I hope you get it resolved

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I suspect this isn't something that alpha will be able to do, as it's part of the PCM firmware, not the BCM. If he does find a way to talk to the PMC, I think it's likely to be only possible for the older trucks. I think it was in '15 that they started encrypting the PCM (not the same thing as the '18 security module). I believe that all the tuners that do it are using a complete custom PCM firmware that they build the option into.

-K

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I believe that all the tuners that do it are using a complete custom PCM firmware that they build the option into.

-K

I wonder if that's why they require the ecu be sent out for a tune

Pakkratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason for sending in the PCM is to Unlock it providing access to fuel tables, timing, mds activation, etc.

Once the PCM is unlocked then almost any adjustments are possible related to engine/transmission.

Of course with somebody that has no knowledge of tuning, this has it's own issues.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Pakkratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This of course refers to the 2015+.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am considering purchasing the OBDlink mX unit, I am curios if this will read ABS sensors and steering angle sensors things of that nature?

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone with a 2015 1500 Laramie with keyless go and remote start, will you please inbox me your VIN so I can search out a RF hub or connect to Alfa and read the hub part number. Preferably without air suspension. Thank you very much!!