AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in need of a OBD 2 scanner for use on my 2012 Ram 1500. Is the AlphaOBD MX+ a good choice? Or do they work better for 2013+ vehicles?

Here’s what happened to me...Today I had a check engine light come on and the lightning bolt flashing on my dash. Truck would idle at 1500rpm till I tapped the brake pedal. And this started to happened while on a 10,800’ mountain top with no cell reception! The lights came on seconds after I switched off the “4WD lock and into 4WD auto” I was afraid to shut the truck off so I drove down the mtn and got on the highway so I would be able to flag people down if necessary. I’d been off-road most of the day driving fast on some rough roads. So I wasn’t sure if it was something minor or something that would prevent the truck from starting or put me in a limp mode that would make me drive for hours at 5mph To get to a to a paved road with cell service.
Truck seemed to run fine on the highway except for the high idle and wouldn’t shift into 5th or 6th gear. Once I had a good cell signal I turned the truck off, and restarted it. Red lightning bolt no longer flashing, no high idle, truck ran perfect for the 350 mile drive home. The check engine light was still on, as expected. I noticed absolutely nothing wrong besides the check engine light being on.

And here I am... what does the code mean? I know the MX 2 has a lot of benefits over the standard scanners. But I seem to not have all those cool those functions available because it’s a 2012?

So should I find another OBD 2 scanner in the $100 range or go with the MX 2? Is the MX 2 a good diagnostic scanner??

I am a iPhone user by the way.

Last edited:

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in need of a OBD 2 scanner for use on my 2012 Ram 1500. Is the AlphaOBD MX+ a good choice? Or do they work better for 2013+ vehicles?

Here’s what happened to me...Today I had a check engine light come on and the lightning bolt flashing on my dash. Truck would idle at 1500rpm till I tapped the brake pedal. And this started to happened while on a 10,800’ mountain top with no cell reception! The lights came on seconds after I switched off the “4WD lock and into 4WD auto” I was afraid to shut the truck off so I drove down the mtn and got on the highway so I would be able to flag people down if necessary. I’d been off-road most of the day driving fast on some rough roads. So I wasn’t sure if it was something minor or something that would prevent the truck from starting or put me in a limp mode that would make me drive for hours at 5mph To get to a to a paved road with cell service.
Truck seemed to run fine on the highway except for the high idle and wouldn’t shift into 5th or 6th gear. Once I had a good cell signal I turned the truck off, and restarted it. Red lightning bolt no longer flashing, no high idle, truck ran perfect for the 350 mile drive home. The check engine light was still on, as expected. I noticed absolutely nothing wrong besides the check engine light being on.

And here I am... what does the code mean? I know the MX 2 has a lot of benefits over the standard scanners. But I seem to not have all those cool those functions available because it’s a 2012?

So should I find another OBD 2 scanner in the $100 range or go with the MX 2? Is the MX 2 a good diagnostic scanner??

I am a iPhone user by the way.
MX+ is IOS compatible.

AlfaOBD is not.

MX+ has a pretty nice diagnostic app, as a standalone. It really is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
^^^^^^^^^^^
What @diboblo said, plus there are still plenty of things you can use Alfaobd for on your 2012. MX+ is the best way to go, you'll never have a doubt, never need to upgrade and if has a 3 year warranty.

JustCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all. Let me premise with the all too common I am an idiot that plugged in an Alfa OBD and didn't back up the settings statement first. But I used it for the headlamp out code being given. Was able to get that working however the Alfa software changed a few things on its own that I didn't select. When I hit unlock on the key fob, my tailgate makes this clicking noise like its unlocking 3-4 times and the noise comes from under the dash as well. Also the passive lock door handle used to unlock all doors, now it only unlocks driver's door. Not a huge deal but I sure miss having it now. Anyone know which code in Alfa to fix that? I tried reversing the settings I changed, still didn't work. I also played with the settings on the radio head, none fixed either issue. I am sure it's in Alfa somewhere, just not sure which one. Thanks in advanced.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey all. Let me premise with the all too common I am an idiot that plugged in an Alfa OBD and didn't back up the settings statement first. But I used it for the headlamp out code being given. Was able to get that working however the Alfa software changed a few things on its own that I didn't select. When I hit unlock on the key fob, my tailgate makes this clicking noise like its unlocking 3-4 times and the noise comes from under the dash as well. Also the passive lock door handle used to unlock all doors, now it only unlocks driver's door. Not a huge deal but I sure miss having it now. Anyone know which code in Alfa to fix that? I tried reversing the settings I changed, still didn't work. I also played with the settings on the radio head, none fixed either issue. I am sure it's in Alfa somewhere, just not sure which one. Thanks in advanced.

Do you remember what you changed to fix the headlamp out? Did you only change that/those and exit out or did you look around?

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Mx is all you’d need and a little cheaper, And the MX+ is only useful if you use apps other than AlphaOBD.
Apple iOS is not compatible with AlphaOBD
I have the MX+, but never did use any other apps with my iPhone. I went and bought a Samsung Tablet to use when I want to change something in my Ram 2500

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mx is all you’d need and a little cheaper, And the MX+ is only useful if you use apps other than AlphaOBD.
Apple iOS is not compatible with AlphaOBD
I have the MX+, but never did use any other apps with my iPhone. I went and bought a Samsung Tablet to use when I want to change something in my Ram 2500

It doesn’t look like they sell the Mx anymore. Just the MX+
I think I’ll get the MX+. And like i mentioned earlier, it’s not so much for all the added functions of enabling & disabling. I need a good scanner to see why my check engine light came on.

JustCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you remember what you changed to fix the headlamp out? Did you only change that/those and exit out or did you look around?

I changed the HID lights equipped. I did not change anything else initially. I unplugged it and started experiencing a whole host of problems. I had no dual climate control, no power mirrors, no heated seats, my abs light and brake lights were illuminated, and a few other things. I think somehow the Alfa software had some preloaded settings that it swapped when we first plugged it in because I did not touch anything that resembled any of those. Did some research and was able to fix all of them one by one except the passive locks working correctly and the tailgate lock now making its extra clicking noise. Someone had discussed the tailgate lock making the extra clicking noise on here before, however it was never solved, the consensus was to turn the radio up louder. I'd prefer to solve it though.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I changed the HID lights equipped. I did not change anything else initially. I unplugged it and started experiencing a whole host of problems. I had no dual climate control, no power mirrors, no heated seats, my abs light and brake lights were illuminated, and a few other things. I think somehow the Alfa software had some preloaded settings that it swapped when we first plugged it in because I did not touch anything that resembled any of those. Did some research and was able to fix all of them one by one except the passive locks working correctly and the tailgate lock now making its extra clicking noise. Someone had discussed the tailgate lock making the extra clicking noise on here before, however it was never solved, the consensus was to turn the radio up louder. I'd prefer to solve it though.

That's odd. I don't know why alfaobd would have any preloaded changes set. You have to atleast hit start for any changes to take place on what ever you want to change. I do know that certain options will change a whole list of things, like country code. Although you might not find the exact match for your truck, I believe on post 1 there is vehicle logs that you can compare to and see if the proximity and tailgate options match

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I have AlfaOBD for my 2007.5/2008 3500 DRW. I was really hoping for being able to activate newly added foglights, resetting engine hours (just rebuilt the 6.7L) and various other items.
I was able to add the fogs, turn off the tip out on high beams, but the hours reset is a no-go for the 3gen, apparently. It's not an option to choose, like the 4G trucks, unfortunately, which really sucks.
Also, as an FYI, OBDLink LX is 'okay', but will not work with OBDLink's software on iPhone. Obviously, AlfaOBD doesn't work on iPhone. Luckily, I had an old LG G2 laying around.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to 'dump' available options/selections for a particular year model truck? Or is it all hunt and peck? I emailed the Dev, and haven't heard back for that, but did hear back about he "will look into the hours reset for the 3G trucks".. Guess I could buy an hour-meter in the interim.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@Rogan68 you will find better information for your 2007.5 in the AlfaOBD thread for 2012 and older RAM trucks. This thread is geared more for 2013 and newer, I don't have a link for that thread but if you search you'll be able to find it easily.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
LOL I post in there some, but even it is more geared to the early 4G, it seems.
And somehow (by mistake, mostly) I get back here, post, then realize (or get told) it's 4Gen, after the fact :(

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couldn't he just go to any dealer and have them flash it? Easy reset button.

I didnt back my stuff up either

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

JustCummin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's odd. I don't know why alfaobd would have any preloaded changes set. You have to atleast hit start for any changes to take place on what ever you want to change. I do know that certain options will change a whole list of things, like country code. Although you might not find the exact match for your truck, I believe on post 1 there is vehicle logs that you can compare to and see if the proximity and tailgate options match

Yea it stumped us as well. I was using an alfa obd with MX from a buddy at work. Maybe we hit a button on accident somewhere, but I didn't think so. The HID lights is the only one I recall pressing start on initially. Once all hell broke loose, obviously we had to press start on many others but did so one at a time as well. The only thing confusing to me during the vehicle selection was there was an option for 2013-2017 Ram and a 2016-2017 Ram. So maybe one is applicable and the other isnt? Anyway I did go to the dealer and they said they "reflashed" it. However nothing was fixed. They claimed the tailgate clicking was due to the actuator going bad. Hard to believe when the relay under the dash makes the same clicking noise in sync. As for the passive/proximity locks not unlocking all doors, the mechanic said maybe the door sensor is going bad...I know its linked to the Alfa program, just need to keep digging.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yea it stumped us as well. I was using an alfa obd with MX from a buddy at work. Maybe we hit a button on accident somewhere, but I didn't think so. The HID lights is the only one I recall pressing start on initially. Once all hell broke loose, obviously we had to press start on many others but did so one at a time as well. The only thing confusing to me during the vehicle selection was there was an option for 2013-2017 Ram and a 2016-2017 Ram. So maybe one is applicable and the other isnt? Anyway I did go to the dealer and they said they "reflashed" it. However nothing was fixed. They claimed the tailgate clicking was due to the actuator going bad. Hard to believe when the relay under the dash makes the same clicking noise in sync. As for the passive/proximity locks not unlocking all doors, the mechanic said maybe the door sensor is going bad...I know its linked to the Alfa program, just need to keep digging.

What year range you select won't affect anything. Just may or may not bring up certain options. It's weird but for whatever reason it does. The likelihood that both of those went bad at the same time right after making changes with alfaobd is very slim but could very well just be a rare coincidence.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not using the lx model for months love mine..

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat