All back new tires wearing on outer side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jholtzman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
2020 Ram 3500 Limited with Diesel eng. 57k miles - almost all highway. Now on 3rd set of tires. Last set had extreme wear on outer side of all four back tires. Now, with only 400 miles on new Cooper tires, definite outer side wear on all four back tires. Took to a truck shop who declared everything was within specs for all six tires. I also get a bad shake between 72-78 mph on the highway. Alignment allegedly checked good. Thoughts?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you are getting wear like that, and that quickly, there is clearly an issue. Could be caused by a whole raft of things. Go find yourself a good independent mechanic, preferably with an alignment rig, and ask him to diagnose the issue. Do not try to point him in a direction, just show him the wear and ask him to figure out what is causing it.

OP
OP
J

Jholtzman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Thanks. This is my next door neighbor’s truck so I don’t have all of the details but he brought it to an independent truck shop with an alignment rig last week and they could not find any problem. He tows occasionally and very occasionally has a camper on top of the bed but primarily drives on the highway without a load. Don’t believe he has tried his dealer Yet.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The fact the outside edges on all four are wearing makes me suspect either rims or the hubs they are mounted on but that is just a wld guess given what little info we have to work with. If he swaps the left 2 for the right 2, do the outside edges still wear. If he puts the two front with the front rims on the back do their outside edges wear.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I replaced my junk nexen fronts at 30k with coopers and the back 4 nexens are still original and wearing perfectly evenly though there getting down there in tread depth, knock on wood.

OP
OP
J

Jholtzman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I will follow up with him on what he has done WRT rotation pattern.

OP
OP
J

Jholtzman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just got pics of his tires and more info. OEM Nexens wore down at around 30k. No vibrations but bad outer wear. Second set of tires were Cooper and he got 24k with same outer wear pattern and this time vibrations between 70-80 mph. Wear was on all six tires, not just the rear axle. Third set with under 2k are also Coopers but dealing with bother outer wear and vibrations. I am including pics. He is taking truck intoIMG_3818.jpegIMG_3817.jpegIMG_3816.jpeg the dealer on Monday to see if they can figure out what is wrong. IMG_3657.jpegIMG_3657.jpegIMG_3500.jpegIMG_3499.jpegIMG_3819.jpeg

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tires all look overinflated to me. The only contact patch is the middle of the tires. The outer edges are scrubbing when they do make contact, like when making turns or sharp curves.

With the difference in height, scrubbing will occur on the outside edges, causing excess wear.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Outer edge tire wear on the rear tires is usually low tire pressure, given this is a dually how much weight is in the bed? May need to run more pressure when loaded.
If read a few people have had scrubbing issues with the front tires on duallys, but that usually just the outside edges of the fronts, not the insides.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outer edge tire wear on the rear tires is usually low tire pressure, given this is a dually how much weight is in the bed? May need to run more pressure when loaded.
If read a few people have had scrubbing issues with the front tires on duallys, but that usually just the outside edges of the fronts, not the insides.
Yup, was thinking underinflated, running harder on the edges. Over inflation give U uneven wear middle of tire. IMHO...

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Outer edge wear would be pressure...But OP said he's only getting wear on one edge, not both, and in the rear. I would suggest making sure that the back tires are equally inflated and as dumb as it may sound, in Florida we have roads that have crowns the king would be proud of...And they cause issues.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the rear tires. The outer edges are not touching at all. They look very overinflated.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is obvious wear on just one side of each tire. When its happening on the rear axle, that is indeed very odd. If it was just from tire pressure, it would be both sides. Maybe the axle housing is bent???

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The rear tires are under inflated. The pics show wear on both edges. The front is alignment related if it is just one edge. If both, then they too, are under inflated.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
On shaking, I know people swear by Coopers, but I have known several people who had multiple sets that would not balance.

Rear wear is likely an inflation issue.

My former '19 dually worked great with Bridgestone Duravis R500s, and Thuren alignment specs. Smooth, quiet, great wear.

I ordered my '24 with the Goodyear tire option to avoid having to swap out the Nexen garbage. Hope they work OK.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
He can do a quick, free check to see if its pressure related, google tire chalk test.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ASSume it has been checked on alignment rack so that leaves possible incorrect preload on wheel bearings on a full float axle allowing toe in