All terrain tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
I've been looking into getting all terrain tires for my 2017 ram 1500 2 wheel drive. Toyo open country or falken wild peak. Any feedback is appreciated!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Before this debate pops off the the 1 millionth time, either one would do fine. Both name brand and have a history of good performance.

Everyone will chime in soon with tons of recommendations and for whatever reason everyone seems to cling to their individual past experiences for one set that they loved or one set that are trash because they couldn't get them to balance, etc etc......... don't worry about it too much.

OP
OP
Lori

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
Ok! Lol Thank You!!

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rzr is right, lots of opinions here. I do not have any experience with Toyo, but I love my Falken AT3W's. but this particular comparison has been hashed out before. I hope this link works...

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best A/T I've had were a set of Pirelli Scorpions. Then the Coopers and now some Kenda Klevers

Good luck

Bourgeois

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Toyo. However, I have Venom Power Terra Hunter X/T A/T 285/45R22. Drive really good in all weather conditions and looks sporty. Little road noise but rides smoothly. Got 50,000 miles on them and actually shopping for a new set now. I purchased from Prioirty Tire online and had a Ram dealer install them for cheap.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends how you are goi going to use them. How much snow and or mud do you drive in?. I went with yokahama x-at instead of falken because falken are better in snow and the yokahama is better in mud. I dont deal with snow. If you dont do either i would go with yokahama g015 thats what mine came with they are ok off road and lasted 50k miles

OP
OP
Lori

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
Well I'm in southeast Arkansas! 2021 we got a foot of snow and ice, and two weeks ago we got hammered with ice. I have a 2017 Ram 1500. Ya never know!!

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Toyo. However, I have Venom Power Terra Hunter X/T A/T 285/45R22. Drive really good in all weather conditions and looks sporty. Little road noise but rides smoothly. Got 50,000 miles on them and actually shopping for a new set now. I purchased from Prioirty Tire online and had a Ram dealer install them for cheap.
Do you have any pics?

patzzoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you still have the factory tires that came on the truck? If so, almost anything will probably be better than those, the stock tires on mine and my father-in-law's Rams were the suckiest tires I've ever driven on a vehicle, particularly in the wet.
I don't have personal experience with the two tires you mentioned, but I doubt you can go wrong with either. My tire choices for any vehicles I own (two or four wheels) usually are determined by what is on sale or has the best rebate at that moment and I've never regretted it later on.
I will say that having previously driven my truck in the snow with the factory tires and then again recently with all-terrains (General Grabbers, in my case), the improvement is noticeable, particularly on ice.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before this debate pops off the the 1 millionth time, either one would do fine. Both name brand and have a history of good performance.

Everyone will chime in soon with tons of recommendations and for whatever reason everyone seems to cling to their individual past experiences for one set that they loved or one set that are trash because they couldn't get them to balance, etc etc......... don't worry about it too much.
Agree with rzr6-4...can't go wrong with either option. I have Toyo OC AT3s and love them...I would just go with whichever one you can get a better deal on.

Good luck!

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Currently running the Falkins, and am very happy with them. Previously had the Toyo Open Country AT II, and they were the worse tire I have ever driven when it came to wet roads, great everywhere else. The AT IIIs are supposed to be much better, but I chose not to chance it, plus I got a much better deal on the Falkins. The Falkins are louder than the Toyos, the ride is about the same, Toyos seemed to get better gas mileage but not by much (which gas mileage in my truck is always horrible).

There are several other brands out there as well that would more than likely meet your needs. Recommendation is to shop around, and do comparisons, don't just limit yourself to the two options.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Stock rims or aftermarket go with the tire that is best for their / your intended use.

If it takes more than 16 ounces of weight to balance any tire you purchase you can ask for a replacement because of dot industry standards , make sure you check the age and condition of your spare

If you’re using factory rims you can buy a non temp rim spare in place of a possible temporary rim spare to use in your trucks tire rotation and this can be used to save the best tire in future replacement’s
If you purchase the same size and type of tire again even better if you buy the same size and brand.
Don’t forget TIPM ‘s and their functionality
Tire centers are usually the best at supplying the correct tire components and correct accessories like lug nuts.

OP
OP
Lori

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
Looks like you still have the factory tires that came on the truck? If so, almost anything will probably be better than those, the stock tires on mine and my father-in-law's Rams were the suckiest tires I've ever driven on a vehicle, particularly in the wet.
I don't have personal experience with the two tires you mentioned, but I doubt you can go wrong with either. My tire choices for any vehicles I own (two or four wheels) usually are determined by what is on sale or has the best rebate at that moment and I've never regretted it later on.
I will say that having previously driven my truck in the snow with the factory tires and then again recently with all-terrains (General Grabbers, in my case), the improvement is noticeable, particularly on ice.
Yes! Original tires, just rolled over 49,000 miles this morning. I also have a 2014 ram 1500 I drive. Switch out every week!! Thank you!! I'm going with Toyo Open Country A/T 3. I can get them at cost with the company I work for!!

OP
OP
Lori

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
Agree with rzr6-4...can't go wrong with either option. I have Toyo OC AT3s and love them...I would just go with whichever one you can get a better deal on.

Good luck!
Thanks y'all. I appreciate your feedback. I'm going with Toyo Open country a/t 3

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could also recommend the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, I have them in 275/65R20. They look aggressive, but not too aggressive. And they do great in the snow (NE native here). Ride quality is great, not rough at all even though they are load E rated. Very quiet too.

Attachments

• IMG_3250[1].JPG
    IMG_3250[1].JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3251[1].JPG
    IMG_3251[1].JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Lori

Lori

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 2017
Engine
5.8L V8 Hemi
I could also recommend the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, I have them in 275/65R20. They look aggressive, but not too aggressive. And they do great in the snow (NE native here). Ride quality is great, not rough at all even though they are load E rated. Very quiet too.
I have cooper endeavor h/t on my 2014 ram. Love them. I'm a cooper fan!! Those were my first choice

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Op just a question if your truck is two wheel drive why do you want such aggressive tires. I would think that a more dedicated highway tire would be better. Unless you’re going to use them as winter tires but I think I would get winter highway tires instead