All terrain vs mud terrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For what it's worth, NTB has the really good b2g2 deals going on almost all the time. Even with stuff that isn't normally part of the b2g2 (like larger truck tires), they'll work with you. With my 37's they gave me one free ($375 tire), so I got the 4 tires installed, road hazard warranty, 3 year alignment package for $1750 out the door.

Thats a good deal. Ive been looking online all evening and havent found a better deal. I may call NTB and see if they will buy 2 get 2 either the st maxx or the toyos.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thats a good deal. Ive been looking online all evening and havent found a better deal. I may call NTB and see if they will buy 2 get 2 either the st maxx or the toyos.

Yeah my dad went in and got some 295/70/18 G2's for the b2g2 deal, even though they weren't listed as options for that deal. I've bought the last 4 sets of tires for me and the wife there, can't beat their deals. Discount Tire lost my business a while ago...they just don't offer any real incentives.

Jwolff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I liked the r/t's for the in between look but ended up with the at's cuz of concerns with road noise for my wife and the at's had a mileage guarantee. And since we are running high pressures in the rear and they will wear prematurely because of the tpms i figure get the guarantee.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly can't even hear my Terra Grappler G2's at highway speeds.
On my 1/2 ton over 65 they start to get noisy. Not M/T loud but they are noticeable. Ill buy them again, but no matter they are not as quiet as they claim.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the Nitto ridge grapplers and absolutely love them. Not noisy at all and they look amazing. Definitely a nice aggressive hybrid tire. I may try out the toyo R/Ts when these wear out but I definitely think you should look into a hybrid tire

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the Toyo MT's on my '08 and '10 CTD. There were great tires, no worries at all in any kind of weather or terrain. Did great in the snow as well IMO (Georgia, Tennessee, and Michigan snow).

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got the Nitto ridge grapplers and absolutely love them. Not noisy at all and they look amazing. Definitely a nice aggressive hybrid tire. I may try out the toyo R/Ts when these wear out but I definitely think you should look into a hybrid tire

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I really like those. I saw a truck with them at the boat ramp over the weekend. There is really no telling what I'll end up with lol. Leaning toward the Cooper's again. Gonna buy them at the end of the month right before I take off for Daytona. Want to get all I can out of the Firestones.

harry_pw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
A little late to this conversation... but my 2 cents:

Mud tires are great in deep snow and mud. I have mud tires on my wrangler for the summer because thats all they are good for. Drive with care in the rain/wet roads because sudden stops can send you slidin and you will be messing up your pants. Snow: forget about mud tires unless you are off roading in deep snow, since the snow acts like mud. I switch to ATs for the winter. So as somebody said, drive slower when the roads are wet with MTs. They are not the best/safest tire in the rain.

Harry

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I put 30k on a set of Toyo MTs on my Cummins with zero complaints, they worked just fine in the rain and good everywhere else as well. They also are quiet for a mud tire as there tread blocks are closer together then most other mud tires.

I had a set of Terra Grapplers, never again the only thing they do well is last a long time.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when i bought my 94 silverado it came with cooper discoverer stt pros 35's did great everywhere except rain i would just spin a bit but that might have been that they didnt have that much tread left on them

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I called to order the toyos and the owner of this shop is trying to sell me on the Mickey Thompson atz p3. Anyone run them?
Said they are more aggressive than the Cooper's and will last longer than the toyo. Said everyone he sells them to loves them.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Mickey Thompson I know is a very good brand

4.7 v8
Hi flow cat/flowmaster exhaust
7 inch lift/5 inch lift
20 inch falken wildpeak at3/33's

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Trying the Mickey Thompsons tomorrow. Going stock size. Interested in how they will perform on a work truck and how long they will last. They look really aggressive.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You really got to pay attention to what people who have 2500s' use and say. There is a HUGE difference between the two trucks.

You've got to find people who understand the weight and the solid front axles. People/shops who recommend tires like KOs or DC, MT are used to install them on 1500s or a IFS truck.

You have to find a harder compound tire. Toyo is really good and there are sites I can send you to show you 100's of people using them with 40-50K miles.

I've been around these heavy trucks for 15 years. I KNEW that Nitto was a great tire, but knew they wouldn't last. I tried them cause I liked them.. and sure as hell.. 30K and were replaced.

The new 4th gen radius arms are a little more forgiving than the previous control arm set up. People would get rid of their truck cause they'd put crappy tires on their truck and have death wobble. Fixed this issue myself on 4 trucks I've purchased used and I can't even count with friends I've helped.

Look at Cummins Forum and take a look around there.

Not taking a stab at this site, as there is some great info.. but geared more toward 1500s..

Just tying to educate you and save you some headache.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You really got to pay attention to what people who have 2500s' use and say. There is a HUGE difference between the two trucks.

You've got to find people who understand the weight and the solid front axles. People/shops who recommend tires like KOs or DC, MT are used to install them on 1500s or a IFS truck.

You have to find a harder compound tire. Toyo is really good and there are sites I can send you to show you 100's of people using them with 40-50K miles.

I've been around these heavy trucks for 15 years. I KNEW that Nitto was a great tire, but knew they wouldn't last. I tried them cause I liked them.. and sure as hell.. 30K and were replaced.

The new 4th gen radius arms are a little more forgiving than the previous control arm set up. People would get rid of their truck cause they'd put crappy tires on their truck and have death wobble. Fixed this issue myself on 4 trucks I've purchased used and I can't even count with friends I've helped.

Look at Cummins Forum and take a look around there.

Not taking a stab at this site, as there is some great info.. but geared more toward 1500s..

Just tying to educate you and save you some headache.

Well unless he's blowing smoke up my butt, the shop owner said he's been selling these to contractors and that the stiff sidewall and compound of them is good for heavy working trucks. Said guys are loving them They look a lot like the cooper stmaxx and are actually owned by cooper from what I've researched. He said they should last longer than the toyo mt tread wise. I guess I will find out. I'm not saving any money going with them and will be ipset not to get 40000-50000 miles out of them. They are I guess what is considered a hybrid tire like the toyo rt. I haven't found much about them but everything I've seen is positive. I actually read some good things about them searching Cummins forum.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
These are star fire tires. You've never heard of them before? Same here, they have time and time surprised me. Now I can compare them to general graber all terrains. The star fire 150 are cooper knock offs. They are highway tires. Every time I drive on our road that's washed out and ungrated since the day it was made. My star fires hook and slide around. I can break traction only while going up our steep driveway. I can climb to 3k Rpms and crawl up that drive way like nothing. My dad's 2000 reg cab short bed general grabber AT's struggles bad! Both trucks are 2wd and 5.2 liter. Difference is ass weight. So I told my 250 lb cousin to hop in the back. Because my 94 is a long bed and my dad's 2000 is a short bed. So I do the same way and still the same results. General grabbers slide like hell, breaks traction easily and takes 4,500 rpms to get up the same driveway. I don't like the looks of a cooper tire but you can bet your sweet ass I'm getting a set for my 94 when my tires go bad!

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got the Mickey Thompsons today. They hum a little over 55. Ran up to 75 mph with them. Feel just like the Firestones. Maybe a little softer ride but it could be from all the money I just spent on them. :roflsquared:

First thoughts, they are more aggressive than I would've thought. Just looking at them I think mud terrain. They look great. Im glad I went stock size. They look like they may be an inch bigger but I haven't measured them yet.

I'm traveling 400+ miles with them tomorrow so I will have a better grasp of road manners. The next week I will be towing my dump trailer so I will see how they do towing.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I would've been just as happy with the toyos but I really like the mileage warranty with the at p3.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better safe than sorry. I see a lot of wives complaining about noise from mud tires and exhausts and guys are having to switch them out. The a/t would probably be a wise decision my friend!

Hopefully you mean switch out their wives. If my fiance complained about noise I'd just tell her to drive her car then

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
:roflsquared: my wife knows she would be walking if she said anything about my truck,including what parts and mods i throw at it,or how much they cost.she did give me strange looks when i pulled out the back seat,but now she gets it,but she isn't happy that she has to lug around 2 car seats for the grandkids now,but to her credit she's kept quiet about it.the only time she ******* was with the ************* dura tracs that wouldn't stay balanced.it got to be intolerable for both of us after a while.

Last edited:

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully you mean switch out their wives. If my fiance complained about noise I'd just tell her to drive her car then

Lol.....Im in luck, my wife won't drive my truck! She wouldn't complain about the tires though, thats what the stereo is for!