AMP power boards stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I've been disconnecting my battery to trace a parasitic loss. I think it was because I left AUX switch #1 on, which is always hot. While figuring this out, and disconnecting my negative battery terminal multiple times, the AMP steps stopped working. They don't budge when any door is opened.

I've checked the 30A fuse (F15) in the fuse box and it's okay. Is there something else that might have got off kilter by disconnecting the battery? I've started the truck half a dozen times and everything else seems to be okay.

The steps were installed by the dealer about a year ago.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pull the fuse for the amp controller and the connections, let it sit for a minute and plug it back in. You should here it "arc". If not you may have fried your controller. Contact amp they should get you another one if so.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Thanks, mtnrider.

I had checked the factory fuse box, but after research I learned AMP also has an inline fuse on the harness, just below where it connects to the positive terminal array on the battery. The 30A bladed fuse looked okay, but when I replaced it the steps worked again.

Problem solved!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, sometimes when you mess around with the power the controller hangs up for some reason? Pulling that inline fuse usually resets it.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Nice when you get things working again! I did have to replace my controller once. The boards would not retract all the way sometimes. After I called Amp Research and told them my issue, they told me I needed to replace the controller.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Thanks oe542bob

Did AMP warrantee the controller?

"The 30A bladed fuse looked okay, but when I replaced it the steps worked again."

After giving it some thought, I don't think the fuse was bad. I think it was the pulling of the fuse that allowed the controller to reset itself.

I did use a multimeter to check continuity and the fuse was okay, but I still replaced it since I have a box of fuses I carry under the seat as part of my kit.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
No warranty was available in my case.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Follow up six months later:
I was swapping out OEM halogen headlamps and disconnected the negative battery post. AMP steps stopped working again. I was testing each new LED bulb and reconnecting the battery, and the steps began working again. They are finicky.

Mil T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've gone throught the same thing. I had to replace the controller. It seems it is sensitive to power spikes or disruptions through the system some how. I have noticed when I am working on electrical items that it does the same thing that yours is doing. Then it starts working again. I do have a question. Do your lights for the steps stay on for a long time or go out right away when the steps go up. Mine stay on for a long time.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I'll have to pay attention. They definitely stay on for a bit after closing the door.
There's so many lights that are on with a door open, or even after it closes. Not exactly stealth camping style.