Amplifier Input Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hessakia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a forum search and came up with many results, but none with my specific question (although I'm confident it has already been asked and answered).

I have a 2015 Ram Outdoorsman with the 8.4 Alpine system. Overall, I was not impressed with the quality of the Alpine system, so I began replacing speakers. I started with the dash speakers, then did the Pioneer swap for the OEM sub, and finally replaced the rear door speakers. After replacing these speakers, the stereo was "good enough."

For the better part of the last year, I've staring at an old Alpine SWR-12D that I had in my last car (300C). Eventually, I decided to buy the single 12" Ported Fox Box and put this woofer into the truck.

I'm using a Pioneer GM-D8601 to give the R Type 500 watts at a 2ohm load. For the input signal, I tapped the speaker in the rear passenger door, which is supposedly 'full range.' Using the single speaker tap, I mated into a pair of RCA cables for my amp to give it a L/R signal. For what it's worth, the bass is a lot louder with both RCA's hooked to the same speaker as opposed to just using 1 RCA.

The install went as well as could be expected and I'm mostly satisfied with the results---at least there is bass at high volumes now.

Now onto my question My current configuration uses the single 'full range' speaker to supply the input to the amp---would it be better to split this input, and say use one RCA from the rear door and the other from the stock sub woofer? If the rear is a true full range, it shouldn't matter much, but if there is some tricky crossover frequency, would I get a better result by using both the subwoofer input and back door signal?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I tried a forum search and came up with many results, but none with my specific question (although I'm confident it has already been asked and answered).

I have a 2015 Ram Outdoorsman with the 8.4 Alpine system. Overall, I was not impressed with the quality of the Alpine system, so I began replacing speakers. I started with the dash speakers, then did the Pioneer swap for the OEM sub, and finally replaced the rear door speakers. After replacing these speakers, the stereo was "good enough."

For the better part of the last year, I've staring at an old Alpine SWR-12D that I had in my last car (300C). Eventually, I decided to buy the single 12" Ported Fox Box and put this woofer into the truck.

I'm using a Pioneer GM-D8601 to give the R Type 500 watts at a 2ohm load. For the input signal, I tapped the speaker in the rear passenger door, which is supposedly 'full range.' Using the single speaker tap, I mated into a pair of RCA cables for my amp to give it a L/R signal. For what it's worth, the bass is a lot louder with both RCA's hooked to the same speaker as opposed to just using 1 RCA.

The install went as well as could be expected and I'm mostly satisfied with the results---at least there is bass at high volumes now.

Now onto my question My current configuration uses the single 'full range' speaker to supply the input to the amp---would it be better to split this input, and say use one RCA from the rear door and the other from the stock sub woofer? If the rear is a true full range, it shouldn't matter much, but if there is some tricky crossover frequency, would I get a better result by using both the subwoofer input and back door signal?
Rear is full range, but also stereo so you'd be better tapping both sides to feed your sub amp. You can use the factory sub wires instead, but it has a pretty aggressive subsonic filter so you will not get the really low frequencies off it.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting your signal from where you did the right thing to do, but i would also agree that you should use the signal from both r/l speakers.

OP
OP
H

Hessakia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only concern about getting a signal from the driver side pillar is that my power is run under the trim---I don't want to introduce interference by running a signal wire in close proximity.