Amplifier question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
For my next system I am planning on going with a pretty moderate set up, however deffinitely not audiophile.

I am planning on using deadening matt and doing the doors, inner doors, and rear, and possibly kick panels.

Then I am not sure which deck, but most likely a double din, with at least 8 eq bands, bt, and 4 volt outputs.

Then I will most likely be putting a pair of 3 way speakers, paired with most likely a single 10", possibly 12"

My question is, should I get seperate amps for the speakers/sub, wire them to one amp (is that possible?), or should I just run the speakers off the double din amp, and run the sub on its own mono?

Since I am not getting a bottom of the line headunit I was thinking the speakers (also not going crazy $$$ wise on these) should be okay on the headunit??

thoughts? suggestions?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're going through the effort of getting 3 way components for your fronts, most certainly you will want to amplify them.
Nothing sounds good off deck power at that level of components.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If you're going through the effort of getting 3 way components for your fronts, most certainly you will want to amplify them.
Nothing sounds good off deck power at that level of components.

oh well would you recommend a separate amp or run it off the same one as my amp? is that even possible?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You can do a 3 or 5 channel, they usually have a Class A/B, or nowadays full range class D for front, and has a sub portion for the subwoofer. So you dont have to have a seperate amp to run front, and rear. Just most 3 or 5 channel amps are limited on power. But one 10" or 12", seems like it would be fine.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
okay thanks a lot, I know you have a pretty audiophile background, have any recommendations for me?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
sure can help, how much power do you need and budget?

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I am pretty open to suggestions, I havent done a whole lot of research on any components of my future system other than the head unit.

Im not looking for a power house system, just a clean, sharp sounding system. The sub will be a closed box not ported, I am about 90% sure.

Anyone or yourself have any suggestions as to speakers, sub, amp?

this is my first time replacing speakers, so not really educated on them much, and my last sub came with the box from probox, so again, pretty uneducated.

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Do you know if you have the Infinity Sound system in your truck or not? I have Pioneers that are runnong of the stock Infinity amps that where there before.

If not I'd run two seperate amps, one to the sub and one to the speakers, since you are wanting to run only one sub, you dont need a very big amp... Ive got two 10" in an enclosed box and a 1000W amp going to them, both sub and amp are rockford fosgates.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
hmm I don't think I have the infinity speakers because I think they came with tweeters in the pillars right? and I don't have those

Tapatalk Addict

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I believe so, so then I would just go with a two amp set up then, put one underneath the driver side and one under the passenger side, for easy concealment, and can access the amps easily as well.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would personally run 2 amplifiers. What I normally do is get a healthy 4 channel, and Bi-Ampable components (Alpine Type X for example) and run the 'front' channel to the tweets and the 'rear' to the mid bass drivers. I never run a 'rear' speaker in a truck. Then a separate mono-block amplifier for the subwoofer. Never had an issue with type of setup, and I'll eventually get to it for this truck as well.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I know this is a couple weeks old, but ill put in my 2 cents. For a pair of door speakers and a single sub I'd look at a fairly large 4 channel. run the doors off of the front 2 channels and bridge the rears. there are several 4 channels out there that will do 125x4 or 125x2 plus 450 bridged on the rears. The MBquart onyx 4.125 will do that as well as several others

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2 amps. A JL Audio 500/1 Slash & a US Amps Merlin 4 channel under my seats. The Merlin is huge & the JL isn't small. I gave a Skar VVW 10 in a down firing slot ported box where the console was. I have Morel M12 tweeters & Exodus Audio 6.5 mids in my doors. Its a active setup ran by a Alpine 9887. The Exodus 6.5Anarchys weigh 8 lbs & are 3.5 inches deep. Their Xmas is 11 MM The Morel tweets fill the cab with highs. The sub box is tuned to 30 hz. It is the best sounding ported box I've ever built. It's loud & tight. I have friends with 2/10s that can't hear theirs with me parked by them. If your planning to run 3 way components up front run a active crossover setup. It gives you lots of tuning options. I had 2 sets of them over the years. Its tough to get them tuned in a small space.