Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Learning as I go...

Which oil weights should I go with in each company?

Amsoil:
Royal Purple:
Redline:

Additionally, are there any youtube videos specific to our truck for front and rear diff oil flush? Or a step by step thread in here that breaks it down? I'd like to do it myself but never have before. Thanks for your input.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hey bud,

it really depends on your climate. No matter what brand of oil you use, 0W-40 is specified for this truck. The oil should also meet MS-10725. if you are worried about a dealer denying something in the future.

I personally am going to switch from Redline to Amsoil, just to see if i hear a difference. Up to now i have been running Redline 0W-40. Its a good oil, but i think Amsoil has a better pour point at cold temps.

Regarding your question about the Diffs. It is SUPER easy. Simply remove the bolts from the cover, and it falls off. lol. These diffs dont use the old RTV sealing method. They have really good solid gaskets with a metal core. I just did both my diffs last week, piece of cake.

Since you have a power wagon, dont neglect to remove the metal build up on your lockers. THis happens to all of us, and should not be worried about. I will try to find the thread and post it here for you to look at

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Using Amzoil 0W40 in engine and
75W90 in rear diff.

Changing the diff oil is pretty straight foward as @LeesEvoX mentioned.

I used brake cleaner for the first change.

Truck is currently at dealer for a couple of recalls so they'll put Penzoil 0W40.
I'm not too fussy as long as oil is changed regularly.

IMG_20200728_145844.jpg IMG_20200728_151734.jpg

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hey bud,

it really depends on your climate. No matter what brand of oil you use, 0W-40 is specified for this truck. The oil should also meet MS-10725. if you are worried about a dealer denying something in the future.

I personally am going to switch from Redline to Amsoil, just to see if i hear a difference. Up to now i have been running Redline 0W-40. Its a good oil, but i think Amsoil has a better pour point at cold temps.

Regarding your question about the Diffs. It is SUPER easy. Simply remove the bolts from the cover, and it falls off. lol. These diffs dont use the old RTV sealing method. They have really good solid gaskets with a metal core. I just did both my diffs last week, piece of cake.

Since you have a power wagon, dont neglect to remove the metal build up on your lockers. THis happens to all of us, and should not be worried about. I will try to find the thread and post it here for you to look at

What are you doing with the gasket?

How did you clean the inside and remove the metal build up on the magnets?

I have zero mechanical experience and not afraid to say it. I'd rather be straight forward and learn and do it the right way versus act like a BA who can do anything and screw something up.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Also, are you guys ordering the Amsoil because I can't find anything 0w-40 on the shelf. thanks.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
What are you doing with the gasket?

How did you clean the inside and remove the metal build up on the magnets?

I have zero mechanical experience and not afraid to say it. I'd rather be straight forward and learn and do it the right way versus act like a BA who can do anything and screw something up.

No worries bud. But it is honestly a piece of cake. As long as you have a socket set you will be good.

To start, remove the fill plug. and have a pan under the diff. from there just release the torque on all the bolts, going in a star pattern like you do lug nuts. Then start removing the bolts starting from the bottom.

by the time you get to the last bolt, all of the fluid should have drained. Remove last bolt, and cover from the truck.

I opted to simply wipe the inside of the diff cover with a non lint rag (Or an old T shirt), and did the same with the plug, as i believe it was magnetic.

Then look at the locker magnet. you can find pics of this in the thread i linked. I just used a few Q tips to get this crud off, and wiped it down with the rag. i also shoved the rag in the bottom where some old fluid had pooled. I did not use any brake cleaner. Didnt see the point.

The gasket i can guarantee you can re-use. But please check it for cracks, or splits.

Put your cover back on, and put the top bolt in, just to locate it. Do the same for all other bolts, and then start tightening in a star pattern. I think the torque spec is 25ftlbs. But i just used a 3/8 ratchet for everything, and didnt go CRAZY with it. (I also checked them the day after).

After that, just fill the diff through the fill hole to like a 1/4" below the hole. (I just filled it up until it started weeping out the hole, then absorbed a little extra with a paper towel.

Put the fill plug in, and repeat for the front (Will take less fluid).

For amsoil. you will probably have to order online. i managed to find some diff fluid, but motor oil will be harder to find.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
No worries bud. But it is honestly a piece of cake. As long as you have a socket set you will be good.

To start, remove the fill plug. and have a pan under the diff. from there just release the torque on all the bolts, going in a star pattern like you do lug nuts. Then start removing the bolts starting from the bottom.

by the time you get to the last bolt, all of the fluid should have drained. Remove last bolt, and cover from the truck.

I opted to simply wipe the inside of the diff cover with a non lint rag (Or an old T shirt), and did the same with the plug, as i believe it was magnetic.

Then look at the locker magnet. you can find pics of this in the thread i linked. I just used a few Q tips to get this crud off, and wiped it down with the rag. i also shoved the rag in the bottom where some old fluid had pooled. I did not use any brake cleaner. Didnt see the point.

The gasket i can guarantee you can re-use. But please check it for cracks, or splits.

Put your cover back on, and put the top bolt in, just to locate it. Do the same for all other bolts, and then start tightening in a star pattern. I think the torque spec is 25ftlbs. But i just used a 3/8 ratchet for everything, and didnt go CRAZY with it. (I also checked them the day after).

After that, just fill the diff through the fill hole to like a 1/4" below the hole. (I just filled it up until it started weeping out the hole, then absorbed a little extra with a paper towel.

For amsoil. you will probably have to order online. i managed to find some diff fluid, but motor oil will be harder to find.

appreciate you bud!

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

Where do you recommend ordering from? Found the gear oil, just not the engine oil. Also, does the filter matter? If so, which one? If not, which one!?!

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Where do you recommend ordering from? Found the gear oil, just not the engine oil. Also, does the filter matter? If so, which one? If not, which one!?!

If you go Redline, you can order from Redline, or GotExhaust as noted below.

If you want Amsoil. just order direct from AMsoil. for me, i get next day delivery, as they have a warehouse in Dallas (Im in Houston).

For the oil filter. I use the Royal purple part number for the larger one is 20-820. You can find these at auto parts stores. Or you can be lazy (Like me), and order them from Amazon. lol.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you go Redline, you can order from Redline, or GotExhaust as noted below.

If you want Amsoil. just order direct from AMsoil. for me, i get next day delivery, as they have a warehouse in Dallas (Im in Houston).

For the oil filter. I use the Royal purple part number for the larger one is 20-820. You can find these at auto parts stores. Or you can be lazy (Like me), and order them from Amazon. lol.
Gotexhaust, Amsoil and Amazon for those items is exactly what I did after doing some price shopping!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Might be a bit difficult seen as the OP has a 2020 Power wagon though huh?

I don't think basic maintenance changed much since 2018. An manual and his owner's manual is a good thing.

The op is going to need to know what basic tools he needs and things like torque specs.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I don't think basic maintenance changed much since 2018. An manual and his owner's manual is a good thing.

The op is going to need to know what basic tools he needs and things like torque specs.

i do understand that. But most people wont have a need for a full manual. Thats the great thing about places like this! :)

Torque specs are always a good thing though.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Im an amsoil fanboy. I changed all my fluids to Amsoil last spring. Pays to sign up to be a preferred customer gets you a decent discount off their fluids for example the 0w-40 quart is $10 vs the normal$13.30

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I appreciate you guys...

If I wanted to go to harbor fright and get a jack, jack stands, a impact driver, torque wrench etc etc, what would you go get??? I'm trying to build up the garage and tool selection at the same time learning the things I wish I already knew...

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Im an amsoil fanboy. I changed all my fluids to Amsoil last spring. Pays to sign up to be a preferred customer gets you a decent discount off their fluids for example the 0w-40 quart is $10 vs the normal$13.30

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

all over it brother. thanks. what oil filter and air filter are you running?