And...She's Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Went out to the truck today to find her dead as a door nail. No dash lights, no sign of life. Both remotes do nothing. The truck is 4 months old with about 5,550 miles on it.

Drove yesterday and everything was normal except it kept asking to do a download. I denied it a few times until I got home. Left the truck outside and hit the button on the screen asking for permission for the download. About an hour or two later, brought the truck in the garage.

I shouldn't say no signs of life. There is a clicking sound coming from the dash in the area of the start button. The cadence is about once a second.

Called the closest RAM dealer and waiting for a call back. Any ideas?
either defective battery, it happens, or less likely something in the uploaded program is stopping the truck from recognizing input. Starting a car is no longer a mechanical function, but a computer controlled event. dibs on battery.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mass produced batteries can have a bad apple in the bunch. Hit or miss. I tend to agree with a bad battery. My wife and I went to have a picnic then drive through Cades Cove. After the picnic, we loaded up and turned the switch and it would just click. Couple of people tried using their battery boosters and that didn't work. Finally, a camper brought his diesel truck over and got it started. 2011 1500 Sport. They just have a load of load on them.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram Cares was contacted and rolled a tow truck. In talking to the dude that responded out, he said that the day before he had the same exact issue with another Ram where the owner also just did the OTA update. He said he was able to jump that one and get the guy going. So we jumped mine and she started right up. Left it idling for awhile and had no issue restarting it. I have an appointment with he local Ram dealership Wednesday for them to make sure there are no underlying issues and check if the battery is sound.

Wonder if the OTA thing is like a phone searching for a signal and was not done when I pulled it into the garage and it kept trying to install the update until the battery gave up?