Android Auto and data cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just a note that when Android Auto doesn't work correctly, the simple answer may be the correct one. In my case, I have only top quality data transfer cables in use to connect from phone to truck. Worked fine yesterday, today couldn't connect phone to truck. Replaced cable and all is fine. Who knows why, but it happens.

So after rebooting phone, re-pairing, and other quick fixes, try the cable.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi tron67j,

We're glad to hear things are working as they should now! If this continues to happen, you're welcome to PM our team anytime to check for any available resources or updates under your VIN.

Steph
Ram Cares

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check if there is dirt or lint in phone and/or the cable.

I agree with @crash68, keep the cable. If it's not damaged, it'll like work again.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could be anything, from maybe a dirty contact to possibly a broken wire. But I just replace as I have seen the same thing happen when connecting to computers, etc. either in my use or for others. Once I have a problem with a cable, it goes in the trash. I just don't need more things to store. :)

LAMartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if you ever solved your problem but I had the same issue after purchasing a new Android phone. It seems that the newer phones with more processing speed and larger screens need more power than one USB port in the arm rest can provide. I purchased a cable off of Amazon that has 2 USB A connectors on one end and 1 USB C on the phone end. So far this has solved all my issues. Except the issue that the first time i place a call i have no audio. If I hang up and redial it works and works every time after that.

WSeanMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is no rhyme or reason to it. i just drove to the store and all was fine, come back out and wont connect. this is a new cable. it makes me crazy. i just want music. my music...from my phone and now and then its just 'nope'. adds to a stressful day.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this issue with my 19 classic. Cables seem to last a few months and then they stop working. They'll go from connecting every time, to randomly, and only after restarting the phone, to not at all. Solution always is replacing the cable. So, now I ended up buying a wireless android auto adapter to see how that works.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this issue with my 19 classic. Cables seem to last a few months and then they stop working. They'll go from connecting every time, to randomly, and only after restarting the phone, to not at all. Solution always is replacing the cable. So, now I ended up buying a wireless android auto adapter to see how that works.
Ain’t that the truth! My 18 does the same thing on occasion. Both of my kids have aftermarket head units in their vehicles and they do the same thing. Nature of the beast I suppose. Let us know how the wireless unit works. I tried a cheapie CarPlay unit and it stunk. Lag and cheap graphics. Hope yours works better.