Any interest for paddle shifters? ( 8 speed )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just seeing if there would be any interest on paddle shifters for the 8 speeds.

I'm going to start tinkering around to see what I can put together with mostly OEM parts. I'm going to attempt to use paddles from the SRT 8's. Might require a wheel change. I haven't really gotten that far.

If there is interest I'll put together a how to. I'm determined to have paddles and get away from those stupid buttons on the wheel.

camsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now THAT sounds like a real mod... definitely will be following your progress. Afraid I can contribute pretty much 0 technical help, but I do wish you all the best with your project

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck man. A set of fixed paddle shifters would be pretty cool in a truck

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If there is interest I'll put together a how to. I'm determined to have paddles and get away from those stupid buttons on the wheel.

Put yourself in our shoes (Express Owners). They're on the end of the column-shifter stalk and even more useless and easy to miss shifts with.

Interested in seeing what you come up with that we can also put to use for the 6-spd.

OP
OP
The Unabomber

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We'll from what I've gathered so far it looks like the paddles from the 2014 Durango R/T will work.

The 8 speeds will most likely be the easiest to modify due to the shift buttons being right on the wheel itself. I'll start looking at wiring diagrams over the weekend and see what I come up with.

Mounting the paddles shouldn't be too bad I'm hoping. I don't really want to swap out the wheel. Really want to do it as cheap as possible.

In regards to the 6 speeds they will be more of a challenge. I believe they will have to be done in a similar fashion like the LX cars.

Fingers crossed.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Good Luck!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GOOD LUCK!

I'd hate to say it, but im sure there will be LOTs more than just a simple mod. like re-programming the computer (which this would be above and beyond the dealer level), clock spring change out, steering wheel shroud change outs. wont be a cheap one If it can be done

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
GOOD LUCK!

I'd hate to say it, but im sure there will be LOTs more than just a simple mod. like re-programming the computer (which this would be above and beyond the dealer level), clock spring change out, steering wheel shroud change outs. wont be a cheap one If it can be done

Yeah, I would think that would be the hardest part..
Gotta tell the trans some way that you are pressing the paddles to shift.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
HA. I am amazed at what people try to do.. This would be one BIG accomplishment, imo. I applaud you for trying something like this. I would absolutely love to have a paddle shifted 8 speed Hemi Ram!

Good luck, noble steed.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like 2 big buttons on the top of my dash. Since the ones for my 68RFE on the column shifter are complete **** and only work when they feel like it.

BIG, like 3" Diameter end of the world red buttons. haha

SonofaMitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you thinking about splicing into the wiring that is running to the existing GEAR (+) and GEAR (-) buttons on the steering wheel? Then running it to the paddle shifters? This seems like the most straight forward approach and it would allow use of either the paddle shifters or the steering wheel buttons.

This approach only allows the paddle shifter to mimic the existing functions of the gear (+) and gear (-) buttons. As long as you are ok with the way the buttons work now, this will do the same thing (only way cooler).

Now to find a paddle shifter...

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are you thinking about splicing into the wiring that is running to the existing GEAR (+) and GEAR (-) buttons on the steering wheel? Then running it to the paddle shifters? This seems like the most straight forward approach and it would allow use of either the paddle shifters or the steering wheel buttons.

This approach only allows the paddle shifter to mimic the existing functions of the gear (+) and gear (-) buttons. As long as you are ok with the way the buttons work now, this will do the same thing (only way cooler).

This seems like a good project. I might invest in it and make a T-harness. I can't stand the button shifters. They're very easily confused with the cruise control.

OP
OP
The Unabomber

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Correct. My issue is I don't like to hack and splice stuff up. I'll make a harness.

The 6 speeds will be possible. It will be similar to the solution for the LX Cars. Wireless so you don't have to mess with the clock spring etc and hard wire.

OP
OP
The Unabomber

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This seems like a good project. I might invest in it and make a T-harness. I can't stand the button shifters. They're very easily confused with the cruise control.

That'd be sweet. My goal is to make this plug and play for the 8 speeds. I'm waiting on paddles to arrive as we speak so I can start to play around.

Need to figure out what wheel shroud/surround to use and see how they'll mount. I think that's going to be the hardest part.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Unibomber,

I would definitely be interested the stalk rocker button absolutely stinks.

BTW As long as the circuit is open / close to signal the computer it should not matter what is generating the transition. On the 65RFE if you hold the button it will shift super fast, this is a very dangerous thing. We should be able to RELIABLY shift one gear at a time.
Thanks for working on this.
preachp