Anybody install JL audio 6.5" components?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had C5s almost ten years ago. Decent set but nothing spectacular.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was very happy with my C5s even with the passive crossovers. I upgraded to ZR525s and ZR800 but I kept the C5s for my next daily driver build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was very happy with my C5s even with the passive crossovers. I upgraded to ZR525s and ZR800 but I kept the C5s for my next daily driver build.

Where did you mount the 5.25s and ZR800? Im thinking the ZR650s in the front doors will be plenty.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Where did you mount the 5.25s and ZR800? Im thinking the ZR650s in the front doors will be plenty.

I have a full door pod with active crossover for the 800s, 5.25”, and tweeters. Front stage only, managed by a JBL MS-8 (old school I know), with a dual W6v3 ported 2.4cuin each sub wall.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I'd do your best to get those ZR800's in your front doors...they are absolute mid bass monsters and highly regarded in the industry. However, you will need a dedicated midrange to pick up the slack between the midbass speakers and your tweeters. The ZR800's don't like to play very high at all. Regarding the C5 components, I installed them around 7-8 years ago into my old mustang. I'm running them active with a Pioneer 80prs. They're decent with clean power. Not very memorable but they get the job done

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd do your best to get those ZR800's in your front doors...they are absolute mid bass monsters and highly regarded in the industry. However, you will need a dedicated midrange to pick up the slack between the midbass speakers and your tweeters. The ZR800's don't like to play very high at all. Regarding the C5 components, I installed them around 7-8 years ago into my old mustang. I'm running them active with a Pioneer 80prs. They're decent with clean power. Not very memorable but they get the job done

Sounds like i woukd be good to go with just the ZR650 component set in my front doors. Thoughts?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My thoughts are for the price of that component set, you could do much much better. Don't get me wrong, JL makes a high quality product, but in my opinion, that set is over priced.
You could get into a Dynaudio 242 system around the same price range I think?....And the 242 system would sound much better. I have owned the 242 system in the past and it is a great set. Just my thoughts though

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thoughts are for the price of that component set, you could do much much better. Don't get me wrong, JL makes a high quality product, but in my opinion, that set is over priced.
You could get into a Dynaudio 242 system around the same price range I think?....And the 242 system would sound much better. I have owned the 242 system in the past and it is a great set. Just my thoughts though

Hey im open to all brands and options. Kinda why i made this post. Ill check them out.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hey im open to all brands and options. Kinda why i made this post. Ill check them out.
with Dynaudio, make sure (if you buy) that you buy from a certified rep...woofers etc...is not a certified rep of Dynaudio. Dynaudio has a great warranty policy but you have to purchase from a certified dealer. I have a Dyn dealer who is local to me ftr.
Other great manufacturers that I like is
Hertz
HAT
Focal
Audison
Image Dynamics (their top line only)
Synfoni
Acoustic Elegance
just to name a few

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with Dynaudio, make sure (if you buy) that you buy from a certified rep...woofers etc...is not a certified rep of Dynaudio. Dynaudio has a great warranty policy but you have to purchase from a certified dealer. I have a Dyn dealer who is local to me ftr.
Other great manufacturers that I like is
Hertz
HAT
Focal
Audison
Image Dynamics (their top line only)
Synfoni
Acoustic Elegance
just to name a few

I have heard Hertz components are rated the best this year.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have heard Hertz components are rated the best this year.
And be careful with opinions haha. What sounds good is so subjective. People's hearing is different. Speakers sound different in various vehicles etc.. I know I am making this tougher lol. Best is to demo if possible. I personally like realism, warmth, dynamics, snap, and I also need a laid back speaker that can play very loud and not fall apart. Dynaudio does all this for me.