Anybody running helper air bag springs to help rake with tongue weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wondering if anybody is running helper air bag springs, and if they can share how they've been working for hauling and towing that would otherwise cause sag and negative rake.

I added Bilstein 8112 front coil overs and 8100 bypass shocks and a new spring in the rear on my 2020 1500, and figured the rear would be stiffer and I wouldn't have a sagging issue when hauling or towing, but that is not the case. The truck tows WAY better with this suspension, but I had my truck loaded up I'd say in the mid range of weight (full bed of gear, and a relatively light boat probably around 1500lbs with trailer) and I was at slightly negative rake. So, I ordered a set of the heavy duty (2,100lb) air lift helper springs and I'm going to see how they work. Was just wondering if anybody can share their experiences with them. Thanks

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are a ton of discussions on this. You will find those that say add 'em, and those that say find your real problem before throwing money around. I am in the latter camp. Odds are that if you are noticing that much sag, you are over your payload capacity. Weigh the tongue of your boat trailer fully loaded, and weigh your truck axles fully loaded. Find out if your numbers are within specs. If not and you just add bags, you are masking a problem instead of fixing it.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With our 2019 1500 5.7 3.92 4X4 we tow a small landscaping trailer on occasion for the "War Department's" paving project. I think she is going to pave the entire 3 acres LOL

Anyway the trailer loaded is over 1600 lbs with another 500 lbs in the bed of the truck and I see almost no sag. OOPS just noticed you have a 2018 RAM. You are in the 5th Gen Forum. Different truck. You may want to back up one generation.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are a ton of discussions on this. You will find those that say add 'em, and those that say find your real problem before throwing money around. I am in the latter camp. Odds are that if you are noticing that much sag, you are over your payload capacity. Weigh the tongue of your boat trailer fully loaded, and weigh your truck axles fully loaded. Find out if your numbers are within specs. If not and you just add bags, you are masking a problem instead of fixing it.

The bed and hitch is not over payload capacity when I run into sag. The issue is the reduction in stock rake that occured when I lifted my truck. I lifted both front and rear, but net lift on rear was a bit less than front. I still have about a inch of rake, but it is less than stock rake. 300-400lbs of bed weight and an approximately 1500lb trailer and boat get it to squat to about level, which I don't like. With about 800lbs in the bed loaded up, and the 1500lb trailer/boat, it gets slightly into negative rake. Surprisingly, it handles fine with a bit of negative rake, but I'd like to avoid negative rake if possible.

With our 2019 1500 5.7 3.92 4X4 we tow a small landscaping trailer on occasion for the "War Department's" paving project. I think she is going to pave the entire 3 acres LOL

Anyway the trailer loaded is over 1600 lbs with another 500 lbs in the bed of the truck and I see almost no sag. OOPS just noticed you have a 2018 RAM. You are in the 5th Gen Forum. Different truck. You may want to back up one generation.

Good Luck!

No that is my old truck. New truck is a 2020 Rebel.

Tequilatate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bagged my 2012 Ram and I'm happy I did. My 16' trailer has the axles slid back 18" farther than most others creating more tongue weight. I had alot of weight moving from MO to FL and it handled great.They advertise up to 5000lb tongue weight capacity. Way more than I would trust for the hitch or tires. I recently pumped them up to 45lbs and had a yard of rock [ roughly 3000 lbs] dumped in the bed and truck handled great. Actually was about level. I rigged a 12v compressor up with a trailer plug and am able to add air easily when needed. Normally 8-10 lbs is how i run empty. Makes for good handling.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I put a set on my '19 laramie to firm up that backend a little when towing our 6000# travel trailer. dont get much sag without em but I run 25# in em when towing and that takes some of the jiggle out. I also run more air in the falken wildpeak 20's.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I bagged my 2012 Ram and I'm happy I did. My 16' trailer has the axles slid back 18" farther than most others creating more tongue weight. I had alot of weight moving from MO to FL and it handled great.They advertise up to 5000lb tongue weight capacity. Way more than I would trust for the hitch or tires. I recently pumped them up to 45lbs and had a yard of rock [ roughly 3000 lbs] dumped in the bed and truck handled great. Actually was about level. I rigged a 12v compressor up with a trailer plug and am able to add air easily when needed. Normally 8-10 lbs is how i run empty. Makes for good handling.

I put a set on my '19 laramie to firm up that backend a little when towing our 6000# travel trailer. dont get much sag without em but I run 25# in em when towing and that takes some of the jiggle out. I also run more air in the falken wildpeak 20's.

Thanks guys. I installed them a few weeks ago, and so far they're working great. I haven't put HUGE loads in the truck since installing them, but I had enough in it a week ago to cause some sag, and I pumped them up to 20psi and it perked it right up, and handled better. So far, it was a great $180 addition to my truck.

I'm curious if they way I've used them is how you guys use them. I basically loaded my truck, THEN began filling the bag until it started lifting up the sag, and stopped filling it once the lifting ended (when it stretched my spring to full extension).

They are, however, a little bit squeaky, but no big deal. Anybody do anything for the squeak, like spray them with a lube or something?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I installed them a few weeks ago, and so far they're working great. I haven't put HUGE loads in the truck since installing them, but I had enough in it a week ago to cause some sag, and I pumped them up to 20psi and it perked it right up, and handled better. So far, it was a great $180 addition to my truck.

I'm curious if they way I've used them is how you guys use them. I basically loaded my truck, THEN began filling the bag until it started lifting up the sag, and stopped filling it once the lifting ended (when it stretched my spring to full extension).

They are, however, a little bit squeaky, but no big deal. Anybody do anything for the squeak, like spray them with a lube or something?
If you did the in coil variety, the instructions specify to fill the bags most of the way before the load is applied, then adjust after to level. I tried both ways on an older vehicle of ours and it did change the handling slightly. After load the bag bulged between the coils more than pre inflating.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I spray my bags with silicone lube a couple times a year,not for squeak so much,more to keep them in nice shape,but you could try doing something similiar and see if it helps.
My bags aren't used for hauling heavy loads,i use them to help preload the suspension for the track,so i run each bag on it's own seperate line so i can run a bit more pressure in the pass side bag to counter axle lift on the pass side when the trucks at the track.
I ran my fill ports through the licence plate bolts

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat