Anyone install running boards on there 5th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdeperte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get a couple of the brush wheels because there are 18 bolts to clean. Also, as you clean the threads, test it out by hand threading the nut. It should go on easily like butter. If it doesn't then keep cleaning. The paint overspray is on really thick. Take your time and as you clean, keep the brush moving so you don't stay in one spot and potentially wear down the thread itself. It will be tedious, but well worth it in the end when you admire your new running boards.
I just installed running boards on my 2019 Laramie and the advice given above is spot on. When I saw the existing factory stud bolts I thought this is going to quick and easy. Wrong! The supplied nylon lock nuts would go on crooked and seize up due to the paint overspray on the threads. I was afraid I would break a stud if I continued. I used a wire wheel on my drill and cleaned the threads until a M8 wingnut would easily go on. It took several attempts with the wire brush until the threads were ready for the locknuts. Don't rush this, you don't want to break a stud. After the cleaning the running boards installed in no time.

These are the boards I installed and I am very happy with them;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HPCHZFJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Chris Phillips2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Crew Cab Laramie Short Box
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where are all of you buying your running boards from? I see the last guy bought from Amazon, but I'm curious about the others. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here by saying this, and if I am please delete the post, but I checked 2 dealers for the door-to-door running boards for my 2019 RAM 1500 Crew and one dealer quoted $550 + install and the next quoted $750 + install. The 2nd dealer made me talk to their "accessories department" which I guess just adds $200 to the price. I definitely won't be buying from them.

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where are all of you buying your running boards from? I see the last guy bought from Amazon, but I'm curious about the others. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here by saying this, and if I am please delete the post, but I checked 2 dealers for the door-to-door running boards for my 2019 RAM 1500 Crew and one dealer quoted $550 + install and the next quoted $750 + install. The 2nd dealer made me talk to their "accessories department" which I guess just adds $200 to the price. I definitely won't be buying from them.
$550 for factory wheel-to-wheel boards sounds like a pretty good deal to me...I bought Romik Rof-t boards from autoanything during a black Friday thing. I've purchased a lot of stuff from them but they don't have OEM accessories. I like autoanything just because they price match for like a year. I've cashed in on every single thing I've purchased by getting some type of refund for a price match well after the purchase.

Parch07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set from Real Truck (they have excellent customer service) who works with www.runningboardwarehouse.com. As posted throughout this thread I took my time scrapping that $#%#ing overspray off the factory mounting studs on my 19 Rebel. What a pain! It was worth the effort as I didn't strip or damage any studs, and I was happy with the installed running boards.

CharlieP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Not E-torque
what size are the studs so I know what die to use to chase the threads

Parch07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to safely bolt on eighteen 8-1.25 mm nylon lock nuts to attach the board brackets. Of note, the top stud at each section had minimal over spray, but the bottom two were coated. Good luck!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I think they are 5/16". I will take a look at my die set and repost as there are also two thread pitches in my set. make sure which one I used

Matt92037

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just finished installing a set of Mopar boards. I can say for sure the studs are 8mm x 1.25. Chasing the threads is incredibly easy with a hex headed tap. Using one of the kits that has round dies meant to be placed inside a t-handle set it’s not so easy. Just find a 8mm x 1.25 head tap and it’s wuick and easy.

jamjr7411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed oem boards on my 21 Ram 1500. I first used serrated flange nuts but wanted to use washers so switched them to Nylock nuts. Flange nuts went on fairly easy without doing any prep to the bolts. Nylocks were of course more snug but I used hand tools, a little anti-seize and went slow. Torqued to 16 Ft Lbs. Maybe I got lucky with painted threads or they got better being less sloppy painting lol.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I installed OEMs on my 22 Laramie. Used a die to clean the threads. Clean the ends of the studs with a wire brush so you get a good start. Go slow and use lubricant.