Anyone put Fox 2.0 shocks 983-02-020 (diesel) on a gas truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I read same about ICON. Yes, that what it seems like. I notice it most on the highway/freeway.
Rebound is where I always mix up my valving. I wanna say if you're riding at the top of the shocks travel is where they should have the least amount of rebound damping.......if that's the case it makes sense why you feel bouncy.

Than again I could have this totally backwards

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That is the correct link? It shows 1/2" spacer. Just making sure.
You feel my frustration then. lol =)
Correct. That spacer is only 1/4" thick. That will gain 1/2" lift at the wheel. Obviously nothing is a 100% guarantee, but I would say 99% sure you'll have no issue with them.

I feel the frustration 100%! I've accepted I'll never be totally happy with my stuff lol!

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Correct. That spacer is only 1/4" thick. That will gain 1/2" lift at the wheel. Obviously nothing is a 100% guarantee, but I would say 99% sure you'll have no issue with them.

I feel the frustration 100%! I've accepted I'll never be totally happy with my stuff lol!

I hear you. Wife just looks and smiles. I tell her i'm like Goldilocks looking for the right stuff. lol

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I hear you. Wife just looks and smiles. I tell her i'm like Goldilocks looking for the right stuff. lol
Mine just ignores me and is happy it's trucks and not other women [emoji16].

I wish we all were closer so we could ride in each other's **** to help with our opinions.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine just ignores me and is happy it's trucks and not other women [emoji16].

I wish we all were closer so we could ride in each other's **** to help with our opinions.

Oh I m sure mine thinks that as well. lol.
I agree. When I had my many Jeeps it was easy. Jump into someone else's and I could narrow it down. Trucks are harder to find that.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Or like Hodge said, perhaps if you lower the Icons they'll feel better for you. They come with 13" long coils and 650lbs springs though so they will have an inherently firmer ride compare to the competition longer and softer springs. Lowering them is free.

Lots of options. Just trying...I said trying. lol to do this one more time.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of options. Just trying...I said trying. lol to do this one more time.
I know the sentiment :)
Adjusting them is super easy. You should have received an spanner wrench or similar tool to do the job in the same CO box. Lift the front in the air and remove the wheels. Then back the pinch bolt in the adjuster 1 or 1.5 full turns. Check with your instructions though and make sure you follow whatever they say. Then turn the adjusting collar counterclockwise 2.5 full turns and that should be 1/2” less lift. that should put you in the 2” lift range. Re-tighten the pinch bolt (dont overtorque snug is fine), put your wheels back and you’re done.

Take her for a spin and check if you like the ride. You may need an alignment after the change.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
^^ this.

Also you're running stock UCAs. It's really worth mentioning that you should consider them with extended travel coilovers. My truck aligned easily and had no issues with stock upper arms. When I added the ready lift arms the ride was noticeably better. I still can't explain it, but it was a big change.

Edit- I also drive my truck close to 1k a week so I tend to be very in tune with the way my truck reacts.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
^^ this.

Also you're running stock UCAs. It's really worth mentioning that you should consider them with extended travel coilovers. My truck aligned easily and had no issues with stock upper arms. When I added the ready lift arms the ride was noticeably better. I still can't explain it, but it was a big change.

Edit- I also drive my truck close to 1k a week so I tend to be very in tune with the way my truck reacts.

I looked at Zone and RC UCA.
https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-upper-control-arms-31201.html?find=2016-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-567001
https://zoneoffroad.com/control-arms-ram/d2301

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I know the sentiment :)
Adjusting them is super easy. You should have received an spanner wrench or similar tool to do the job in the same CO box. Lift the front in the air and remove the wheels. Then back the pinch bolt in the adjuster 1 or 1.5 full turns. Check with your instructions though and make sure you follow whatever they say. Then turn the adjusting collar counterclockwise 2.5 full turns and that should be 1/2” less lift. that should put you in the 2” lift range. Re-tighten the pinch bolt (dont overtorque snug is fine), put your wheels back and you’re done.

Take her for a spin and check if you like the ride. You may need an alignment after the change.

That is a free option. My gut says to lean towards Fox.
My confusion is the bouncy. Reducing lift some I would think make it more bouncy?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@nick@gotexhaust is awesome to deal with here. I haven't seen the RC arms in person but they are listed for 3" of lift. Thats alot of correction and if be leery of bj angle without seeing them. The zone and ready lift arms I have are being run by lots of members without issue. Nick gets awesome pricing as well

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@nick@gotexhaust is awesome to deal with here. I haven't seen the RC arms in person but they are listed for 3" of lift. Thats alot of correction and if be leery of bj angle without seeing them. The zone and ready lift arms I have are being run by lots of members without issue. Nick gets awesome pricing as well

Maybe he will chime in if not I will reach out to him.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Maybe he will chime in if not I will reach out to him.
Shoot him a pm. Tapatalk is being dumb so idk if he's properly tagged.

As for the bouncy, that has me kind of confused as well. Almost curious if the icons dont have nitrogen in them? Digressive shocks normally feel very controlled over events that you're saying cause a bouncy rebound.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Shoot him a pm. Tapatalk is being dumb so idk if he's properly tagged.

As for the bouncy, that has me kind of confused as well. Almost curious if the icons dont have nitrogen in them? Digressive shocks normally feel very controlled over events that you're saying cause a bouncy rebound.

I talked to a shop (forget name) about re-valve and they mentioned the same. They felt the psi was to low or leaking. I explained they had maybe 2,000 miles while it can happen I wasnt so sure. I see no oil on the shocks. He said he'd bet then low psi. But, why do I feel this now after rear shock swap? Firmer Fox causing this? When I pushed on Fox vs the ICONs the Fox were firmer to push down.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s Another good suggestion Hodge. Wonder if they came with too little gas pressure or the opposite. They should not be bouncy, firm yes but not bouncy. Offroad shops or motorcycle shops can check the gas pressure, OP. I think that also worth checking before anything else. Pressure in your COs should be 250psi.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That’s Another good suggestion Hodge. Wonder if they came with too little gas pressure or the opposite. They should not be bouncy, firm yes but not bouncy. Offroad shops or motorcycle shops can check the gas pressure, OP. I think that also worth checking before anything else. Pressure in your COs should be 250psi.

Great idea. They can check this while on the vehicle? If their low, can they add while on the vehicle?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I talked to a shop (forget name) about re-valve and they mentioned the same. They felt the psi was to low or leaking. I explained they had maybe 2,000 miles while it can happen I wasnt so sure. I see no oil on the shocks. He said he'd bet then low psi. BUt, why do I feel this now after rear shock swap?
They could just be low from the factory. I had fox 2.0 resi shocks that were low from the factory. They acted really weird, almost like they had no damping, until I got them charged. Dude thought I was nuts questioning custom tuned shocks from thuren, and I felt stupid asking, but a simple oversight like proper nitrogen could cause symptoms like you're describing.

Again though, it's all speculation and a risk vs reward.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Great idea. They can check this while on the vehicle? If their low, can they add while on the vehicle?
That's something icon should be able to answer. Depends where the nitrogen charge port is. Likely it's in an inconvenient spot, just because that's Darwin's law lol.

Did you get any type of paper work with the icons? It should be included in there if so