Anyone try installing 7” midbass in front doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Audiofrog has a high sensitivity so will get a bit louder on the same amount of power. The Dyn will sound great but have less output. In the same price range, don’t forget about the Audio Development W800NEO.

All three are exceptionally good sounding speakers. At this level it gets to be more about what you like and the kind of music you prefer.

If it was me, I would choose them in this order:

1. W800NEO - At the higher end of the price range but it’s a kick ass 8” driver. Install may be a bit challenging but not impossible. It’s a 3 ohm speaker so it may coax a little more power from your amp.

2. GB60 - It’s a 6.5” so the install should be more straightforward, just watch the depth. I would say output will be similar to the W800 but it won’t play as low at high volumes. High volume being above 100db and really kicking ass.

3. MW172 - Great sounding speaker that will hang with the others but may want a bit more power in order to keep up when it gets crazy.

Whichever way you go, you’ll have a pretty great system.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The w800neo would be my first choice due to it being a true 8" woofer. It should do well on 175 watts too. I agree with Tom, the GB would sound really nice, but it won't be a midbass monster...a 6.5" can only have so much output below 80hz. The Dyn mw172 would be great, but they are very power hungry. The prob with Dyn woofers in general is they are great woofers on 75-150 watts...however they turn into complete monsters on 250+ watts. It's almost a shame to under-power them. The dyn mw162 is very comparable to the GB60. I owned the mw162 in a two-way for a few years....very musical, great midrange, acceptable midbass.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The w800neo would be my first choice due to it being a true 8" woofer. It should do well on 175 watts too. I agree with Tom, the GB would sound really nice, but it won't be a midbass monster...a 6.5" can only have so much output below 80hz. The Dyn mw172 would be great, but they are very power hungry. The prob with Dyn woofers in general is they are great woofers on 75-150 watts...however they turn into complete monsters on 250+ watts. It's almost a shame to under-power them. The dyn mw162 is very comparable to the GB60. I owned the mw162 in a two-way for a few years....very musical, great midrange, acceptable midbass.

Thanks for the info. I guess my determining factor will determine how hard it is to install an 8” speaker in the door. Hopefuly someone can chime in that has done it.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are y'all buying the w800neo? Idk anyone near me (DFW Tx) that sells AD

Just left a FB message for the US importer asking for DFW area dealers. It’s kind of sad, this is a company that has been making great speakers for 30 years yet their website is total crap.

I’ve given them loads of **** about it. Including offering to build a site for them in exchange for product.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My good friend Jerry is an Audio Development rep. Let me know if anyone wants his contact info. He also sells Audio Frog, Dynaudio, Sinfoni, TRU, Phass, HAT, Image Dynamics.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I texted Jerry who's done a bunch of Ram installs (including mine a few times), he said the mw172 would be harder to make fit than the AD w800neo. The w800neo is about as thin as they come so depth will not be an issue. However, the basket does not taper down as much as most speakers especially with their beefy terminals hanging off the sides. With our 6x9 factory opening...you might have to shave a bit on the sides of that opening to get the basket to drop in....not impossible, but it may have to be done. Having the terminals in the 12 O' clock or 6 O' clock position will probably be necessary too. Also, a 1/2" spacer will help a lot. There might need to be a little effort involved but getting the w800neo to fit is totally doable....and worth it

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Devilman I heard back and it looks like Mobile Toys in College Station is a dealer. You could also contact @autokraftgt friend Jerry as I believe he will ship. Either place will do you right.

toejam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Researched quite a bit for a good replacement for the front doors (taking into consideration they are for mid-bass) and have chosen these:

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_components/subwoofers/cl69s.php

Don't be deceived by the crappy pix, they are awesome! They do require a 1/4 spacer, but deliver very nicely.

My setup:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

system looks somewhat like this:

2livnyg.jpg

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Researched quite a bit for a good replacement for the front doors (taking into consideration they are for mid-bass) and have chosen these:

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_components/subwoofers/cl69s.php

Don't be deceived by the crappy pix, they are awesome! They do require a 1/4 spacer, but deliver very nicely.

While those look ok, the OP seems to be looking for something a bit higher end. Personally, if I were buying a 6x9 midbass, I would go with the Audiofrog GS690. I've had CDT in the past, and while they are ok, they are nowhere near the level of the other midbasses that have been suggested earlier.

That being said, it looks like you'll have a pretty kick ass system. Are you running the rears as two way active?

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I texted Jerry who's done a bunch of Ram installs (including mine a few times), he said the mw172 would be harder to make fit than the AD w800neo. The w800neo is about as thin as they come so depth will not be an issue. However, the basket does not taper down as much as most speakers especially with their beefy terminals hanging off the sides. With our 6x9 factory opening...you might have to shave a bit on the sides of that opening to get the basket to drop in....not impossible, but it may have to be done. Having the terminals in the 12 O' clock or 6 O' clock position will probably be necessary too. Also, a 1/2" spacer will help a lot. There might need to be a little effort involved but getting the w800neo to fit is totally doable....and worth it

Sweet. Yeah I’m not worried about cutting metal out to fit the speaker, I’m comfortable with that. My main concern is the magnet depth hitting. If all I need is a half inch spacer, and it will fit behind the door panel, I will go with 8”.

Devilman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Devilman I heard back and it looks like Mobile Toys in College Station is a dealer. You could also contact @autokraftgt friend Jerry as I believe he will ship. Either place will do you right.

I didn't even think about asking MTI in college station, they do awesome work! They'll be doing the interior and audio install on my 78 Chevy crew cab K30 once I'm done with the suspension and duramax swap.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, Christerfer Pate does amazing work!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bumping this thread to say that I’m not going to use the AD W800 NEOs that I have. In case anyone was interested. Please PM me for info as I don’t want to clutter up this thread any more than I have.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did he say about the audio frog?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
What did he say about the audio frog?
The AF gs690 is a great midbass option and I know there are Ram owners who have them. My friend has them in his Colorado and recently won a IASCA event in Chicago utilizing gs690's, Esotar 430's, and a HAT tweeter (don't remember model). But yes, I would put the gs690's on my short list for midbass in a Ram. I cannot comment on install because I have never tried, but I don't see any reason for concern with installing them into a Ram door