Apple Car Play - What's the big deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To go wireless, it's a hardware upgrade inside the radio for the manufacturer, not a simple software upgrade, so you will not see the current units upgraded to uconnect 5.
The biggest advantage to using Google maps over oem nav is updates. You pay insane amounts to upgrade the oem nav each year.
Google maps is constantly updated, at no cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have never bothered with OEM nav updates. It might just be where I live (southwest CT), its so (over?) developed already its not like much changes.

I think the biggest road change we've had in the last decade was the exit for I91 in New Haven going from a left-hand exit to a normal, right side exit. Oddly enough, the nav in my RAM already knows about that change (late 2017 unit, I think the change happened in 2015 or 2016)

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well if you're in a rural area with no cell service.google maps ain't gonna help.more of these places than you think.the voice commands on carplay or auto work pretty good say if you're in a different city and say directions to so and so it pops up on screen.so its pretty handy if you travel a lot alone and have no navigator riding shotgun.i might use it a couple times a month.
Offline maps for Google if you know you are going to an area with no cell service. And if you regularly travel that area, it's sorted in your phone anyways, trickery Google does in the background that most people don't know about. I make a drive every year from Sudbury Ontario area to Fredericton New Brunswick area, approx 1700km, there are alot of cellular dead zones in that trip, yet my Google maps works flawlessly. So no cell service isn't really a problem like it used to be with maps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk