Are all Ram Techs incompetent idiots?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Its the same across the board with any service oriented job where one provides a service or product. I deal with it in architecture in plan quality and also in the fire dept with well don't get me started....

It comes down to a simple lack of pride and respect....

I had similar issue with Ford, and a old ranger that seized up a engine on me... took it in cause it was 2000 miles past warranty, wanted them to find out what caused the engine to lock up... they called me a week later and told me the engine was seized and a replacement would cost $$$$... when asked what failed they couldn't answer my question.. instead went to pick it up with a trailer. found they lowered my truck off a lift onto a cart wrecking the door... but acted like it was there from the get go. they didn't turn 1 nut or bolt on the engine, there was fluid all over the engine bay from the brake system/ master cylinder they took apart for some reason...
Then they tried to charge me 4 hours of shop time for inspection... Lets just say I'm surprised they didn't call the cops on me... took the truck fought with ford and later just gave up and said F'k it come get your truck. I'm not paying for it anymore. It was a expensive lesson to learn about how some dealerships operate and what to look out for.

All in all it all goes back to what I typed up top, lack of respect and pride in work and its not just exclusive to Auto Service techs.

By the sounds of it, did you have your truck financed through FMC? Did they do a charge off or sue you for the remaining note and lawyers fees?

The reason I ask, regardless if you financed through FMC, the relationship between them and the dealership is in name only and is never a wise move to try and leverage your bank note for warranty issues as those are in two different legal universes.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the sounds of it, did you have your truck financed through FMC? Did they do a charge off or sue you for the remaining note and lawyers fees?

The reason I ask, regardless if you financed through FMC, the relationship between them and the dealership is in name only and is never a wise move to try and leverage your bank note for warranty issues as those are in two different legal universes.
It was through fmc, it's a long story but they ended up as a charge of after I fought them for years. It was a expensive lesson to learn at a young age. But fmc said it will be covered under a manufacturer defect but the dealer where I bought it said they wouldn't touch it from what the other dealer did to it... went back and forth finally got tired of it an just told them to come pick it up cause I'm not paying for it anymore.
If I knew what I know now I would have taken all parties to court regarding it. But back then I didn't know how to cover my ass and when I was being ran around and played games with. They never got a dime out of me after all that... had a lawyer call me once and threatened me, but by then I learned a thing or two. She never called back. All in all it destroyed my credit for years is the worst that happened in my case

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It was through fmc, it's a long story but they ended up as a charge of after I fought them for years. It was a expensive lesson to learn at a young age. But fmc said it will be covered under a manufacturer defect but the dealer where I bought it said they wouldn't touch it from what the other dealer did to it... went back and forth finally got tired of it an just told them to come pick it up cause I'm not paying for it anymore.
If I knew what I know now I would have taken all parties to court regarding it. But back then I didn't know how to cover my ass and when I was being ran around and played games with. They never got a dime out of me after all that... had a lawyer call me once and threatened me, but by then I learned a thing or two. She never called back. All in all it destroyed my credit for years is the worst that happened in my case

Sucks to hear but sounds like you got off relatively lucky. I had a SIL and friend both driven into bankruptcy over a car note and problems with getting warranty repairs or bad dealership repair from walking away from their note. Finance company sued them for the remainder of the original note and all lawyer and court costs. That is why I tell people to never get ones responsibility to the finance company and problems with the dealership mixed up.

Dealerships do not care once you drive the vehicle off the lot as you are now the bank/finance company's problem. Threats to the dealership of not paying the note is no skin off their back.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sucks to hear but sounds like you got off relatively lucky. I had a SIL and friend both driven into bankruptcy over a car note and problems with getting warranty repairs or bad dealership repair from walking away from their note. Finance company sued them for the remainder of the original note and all lawyer and court costs. That is why I tell people to never get ones responsibility to the finance company and problems with the dealership mixed up.

Dealerships do not care once you drive the vehicle off the lot as you are now the bank/finance company's problem. Threats to the dealership of not paying the note is no skin off their back.
I got lucky cause they never could find me or ran out of time on serving me paper... some of me wished I lawyered up and fought them cause I had paperwork that stated they would fix it and the damage by one dealer that prevented the other from working on it.. but all water under the bridge and past the time line so it's rebuild and go from there

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
It's all subjective, I'm in Canada and I had my truck serviced at 2 different dealers when I had it.

Top notch service, I had my passenger seat replaced under warranty for rattling, where the tech took the time to come talk to me and had me show him exactly what was happening. They broke the mounting tabs during removal cuz of rust, so they called in a Chrysler engineer and rented me a new Charger overnight.

The service advisor drove me 17 kms away to an Avis location in his own car after his shift to get the car, as that was the closest location with a Chrysler vehicle.

Maybe we're just different up here.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My general impression of the whole new car industry/repair industry is holy lack of knowledge on the sales side and at best a d grade on the repair side.

Oh and I got everyone beat with an issue so far, my last dealer stole my Sport hood and replaced it with a regular hood. Don't ask, they suck BIG DONKEY ****!

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did I miss the *********? OP sorry to hear you had to go thru this, not all dealerships, techs, or industry people are like this.

Get your local Mopar Rep's contact info. Have the rep investigate this and be there the day you drop off and the day (if not same day) you pick the truck back up.

*Blatant bashing, well, I dunno about that.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the exact reason why if it's something simple I can fix myself...I will do it...EVEN if it's covered under warranty.

I personally just don't like other people touchin my ****....period.

And you hit the nail on the head....it's not theirs....so they're not going to treat it as such.

Were you not the **** ( joking by the way :naughty:) who kept telling me to take my truck into dealership to get it repaired for window seal or some other stuff under warranty? I am glad you you think like me now :)

Back to topic, the whole system is flawed for the consumer/customer when most places implement timeline bonuses, meaning the tech gets rewarded for doing the needed work under the aloted time frame. I suppose now the dealerships write them up for doing their jobs in the actual time aloted by FCA, meaning perhaps the tech has to rush each work just to be in a job.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Boy, I really cannot believe some of the attitudes on this post. My vehicle gets damaged due to an incompetent clown, who worked on it, the slime-bag service writer tries sweep it under the rug. And some of you paint me as the sniveling never satisfied whiner, are you f@@@ing kidding me.

Some poster even basically stated its my own fault, that I have been to 4 incompetent dealerships.

1. Dealership (1) installs bed-liner in my when new per sales agreement, bed-liner does not fit (likely wrong one though the say no). They have some nitwit chop it up to fit it around the cargo hooks and the in bed 7 pin plug.
The job is so bad the bed liner has 2 inch high ripples across the tailgate area, and the cutouts I speak of look like a 5 year old did with a chain saw.
But of course this is my fault! I plan to just throw out the bed-liner and put a bed rug in I get to eat the cost But of course this is my fault!

2. Dealership (2) Compass function not working on RA2 radio, bring to dealer. When speaking with Tech he tells me "these trucks don't have a compass on the radios". The RA2 is the most common radio in these trucks, so I asked him why then does the radio have a big fat hard button the says "COMPASS", I get that deer in the headlight look. Service writer comes out an after an hour and says we don't know how to fix it, so they call the secret agents from star, add to the bill still cannot fix it or even give me any explanation. Strange since they work there as one poster put it they know everything, but can't fix a two bit radio with all there vast resources. At least they did not damage anything. But of course this is my fault as well!

3. Dealership (3) I added the remote CD player to my truck, an option available on any trim and any radio I might add. Bring it to the dealer they added the correct sales code for 55.00 and it works great. Fast forward my ABS light comes on and mr. squiggly and they won't go out. So I make an appointment with same dealer. Later on I get a call from the service writer saying they need to pull my radio out to see if any wires are pinched? Ok they find that the ABS fuse was blown truck had 4000 miles on it. Service writer says fuse keeps blowing, but the tech did something but he does not now what but he fixed it charged 120.00 for a fuse. I pick the truck up my cd player no longer shows up in the radio. SR says bring it back in. SR calls me back later and says you cannot put the CD player in your truck it won't work oh and that's another 120.00, When I picked up the truck I asked him why then did you guys charge me 55.00 to turn it on and it worked, you know what I got that Alfred E Newman playing stupid look?
The end result of all this is they flashed the CD sales code out of my truck, trying to fix the ABS problem which was actually a recall problem. So I am out 295.00 and my CD player no longer works, But of course this is my fault as well!

4. Dealership (4) I stopped by another dealership for a second opinion on the CD player, the service writer assures me he can get it to work No problem. Ok lets do it. After an hour of fumbling, I was able to watch thru the viewing glass as the tech look at a laptop with the most confused look on his face over and over. I have never seen the GUI on the wi-tech pod or his laptop but from the look on his face and watching scratch his head it must be some very complicated stuff? Anyway service writer comes out to me and says we cannot get it to work, we have never done this before? This is the same guy that told me an hour earlier that it was no problem. Ok A for effort F for execution, but hey they work there so they "KNOW EVERYTHING".

But here is where it gets me, I walk out to the service bay with the SR writer and the "TECH" has my truck door edge up against the tire rack while he is climbing around in my truck and put two chips in the paint on the door edge right in front of me! I called him and the SR on it again with the Alfred E Newman look? Not even so much as an gee I am sorry?
But of course this is my fault as well!

So I went back to Dealer 3 for this recent problem and no need to re write that one.

There is a lot more and I could go on and on, but I have already made my point and then some. So some of you paint me as a whining complaining problem customer, I will say and truthfully I have never lost my temper, always spoke in a respectful tone and manner when I was dealing with these folks.

To those who have posted with similar problems I feel your pain.

To those who work as techs and SR and criticize and berate me, let me say one thing the fact that Fiat service departments are by the worst of any other brand in the United States is not my opinion but fact as documented by the recent record NHTSA actions against Fiat in particular Ram. And you guys seem to loose complete sight and obviously do not give as **** but that is not your truck its mine and I paid good hard earned money for it, so you have no right to damage it, through malice or neglect. Further what goes on in the service bays is my business when my truck is sitting in it. And you got some balls even saying something so stupid no wonder you work for Fiat, likely not qualified to work at Mcdonalds!!!!!

To those who praise your dealership service centers, I say lucky you. I would add that you have either found a dealership that is in a very small and I mean very small minority or you may also be much more passive or less caring about your investment that I am. I will never understand why you people seem to defend such incompetence, but hey to each his own.

I want especially say to Pull Ya, you sir have totally missed the point of any of this. It was never about the 40.00 light, it was about them breaking my mirror and trying to hide it, and not even giving me an apologies. I can only hope some idiot Tech screws your truck up even worse than mine, but hey if they do you make sure and thank and praise them for it!

This will be my final post in this thread, so think what you will and keep your fingers crossed whenever you trust your truck to these incompetent, carless Tech clowns, most of whom seem to get their qualification certificates off the back of a cheerios box! I do not need to defend my position at all, the shoddy, incompetent work and callous disregard for the consumers property from the top of the Fiat chain, down to the Techs in the service bays says it all. And the NHTSA has made that clear!

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Boy, I really cannot believe some of the attitudes on this post. My vehicle gets damaged due to an incompetent clown, who worked on it, the slime-bag service writer tries sweep it under the rug. And some of you paint me as the sniveling never satisfied whiner, are you f@@@ing kidding me.

Some poster even basically stated its my own fault, that I have been to 4 incompetent dealerships.

1. Dealership (1) installs bed-liner in my when new per sales agreement, bed-liner does not fit (likely wrong one though the say no). They have some nitwit chop it up to fit it around the cargo hooks and the in bed 7 pin plug.
The job is so bad the bed liner has 2 inch high ripples across the tailgate area, and the cutouts I speak of look like a 5 year old did with a chain saw.
But of course this is my fault! I plan to just throw out the bed-liner and put a bed rug in I get to eat the cost But of course this is my fault!

2. Dealership (2) Compass function not working on RA2 radio, bring to dealer. When speaking with Tech he tells me "these trucks don't have a compass on the radios". The RA2 is the most common radio in these trucks, so I asked him why then does the radio have a big fat hard button the says "COMPASS", I get that deer in the headlight look. Service writer comes out an after an hour and says we don't know how to fix it, so they call the secret agents from star, add to the bill still cannot fix it or even give me any explanation. Strange since they work there as one poster put it they know everything, but can't fix a two bit radio with all there vast resources. At least they did not damage anything. But of course this is my fault as well!

3. Dealership (3) I added the remote CD player to my truck, an option available on any trim and any radio I might add. Bring it to the dealer they added the correct sales code for 55.00 and it works great. Fast forward my ABS light comes on and mr. squiggly and they won't go out. So I make an appointment with same dealer. Later on I get a call from the service writer saying they need to pull my radio out to see if any wires are pinched? Ok they find that the ABS fuse was blown truck had 4000 miles on it. Service writer says fuse keeps blowing, but the tech did something but he does not now what but he fixed it charged 120.00 for a fuse. I pick the truck up my cd player no longer shows up in the radio. SR says bring it back in. SR calls me back later and says you cannot put the CD player in your truck it won't work oh and that's another 120.00, When I picked up the truck I asked him why then did you guys charge me 55.00 to turn it on and it worked, you know what I got that Alfred E Newman playing stupid look?
The end result of all this is they flashed the CD sales code out of my truck, trying to fix the ABS problem which was actually a recall problem. So I am out 295.00 and my CD player no longer works, But of course this is my fault as well!

4. Dealership (4) I stopped by another dealership for a second opinion on the CD player, the service writer assures me he can get it to work No problem. Ok lets do it. After an hour of fumbling, I was able to watch thru the viewing glass as the tech look at a laptop with the most confused look on his face over and over. I have never seen the GUI on the wi-tech pod or his laptop but from the look on his face and watching scratch his head it must be some very complicated stuff? Anyway service writer comes out to me and says we cannot get it to work, we have never done this before? This is the same guy that told me an hour earlier that it was no problem. Ok A for effort F for execution, but hey they work there so they "KNOW EVERYTHING".

But here is where it gets me, I walk out to the service bay with the SR writer and the "TECH" has my truck door edge up against the tire rack while he is climbing around in my truck and put two chips in the paint on the door edge right in front of me! I called him and the SR on it again with the Alfred E Newman look? Not even so much as an gee I am sorry?
But of course this is my fault as well!

So I went back to Dealer 3 for this recent problem and no need to re write that one.

There is a lot more and I could go on and on, but I have already made my point and then some. So some of you paint me as a whining complaining problem customer, I will say and truthfully I have never lost my temper, always spoke in a respectful tone and manner when I was dealing with these folks.

To those who have posted with similar problems I feel your pain.

To those who work as techs and SR and criticize and berate me, let me say one thing the fact that Fiat service departments are by the worst of any other brand in the United States is not my opinion but fact as documented by the recent record NHTSA actions against Fiat in particular Ram. And you guys seem to loose complete sight and obviously do not give as **** but that is not your truck its mine and I paid good hard earned money for it, so you have no right to damage it, through malice or neglect. Further what goes on in the service bays is my business when my truck is sitting in it. And you got some balls even saying something so stupid no wonder you work for Fiat, likely not qualified to work at Mcdonalds!!!!!

To those who praise your dealership service centers, I say lucky you. I would add that you have either found a dealership that is in a very small and I mean very small minority or you may also be much more passive or less caring about your investment that I am. I will never understand why you people seem to defend such incompetence, but hey to each his own.

I want especially say to Pull Ya, you sir have totally missed the point of any of this. It was never about the 40.00 light, it was about them breaking my mirror and trying to hide it, and not even giving me an apologies. I can only hope some idiot Tech screws your truck up even worse than mine, but hey if they do you make sure and thank and praise them for it!

This will be my final post in this thread, so think what you will and keep your fingers crossed whenever you trust your truck to these incompetent, carless Tech clowns, most of whom seem to get their qualification certificates off the back of a cheerios box! I do not need to defend my position at all, the shoddy, incompetent work and callous disregard for the consumers property from the top of the Fiat chain, down to the Techs in the service bays says it all. And the NHTSA has made that clear!

I agree with you. Most techs have zero to a little knowledge about adding anything other than a remote start to vehicles and even less know how to fix anything. (I guess that's why they are "techs" not mechanics). Really adding factory accessories is fairly simple. You have 4 components and 9 times out of 10 it's just 3. A code to activate the device, the computer that controls the device, wiring and sometimes a module. If you have access to diagrams with wiring and parts trouble shooting isn't hard. It comes down to lack of knowledge and laziness. I think that's why they want to make it illegal to modify vehicles. Besides trying to stop false warranty claims. Granted for someone to know everything about every vehicle sold at the dealer would take commitment and a lot of training. For the most part everything is the same. The diagrams we have available to us break things down enough for a majority to figure things out maybe fiat/Chrysler needs to take a page from the military and break it down barney style. I think the military has five pages on how to change a tire.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.