Are they gone?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I posted about a month or so ago about how I had some paint swirls. I had done a lot of research, and I wanted to take the route to fix the problem, not cover it up. From the stuff you guys told me and I read on some other places, the only way to repair the swirls is to use a DA or rotary buffer and use aggressive compounds to remove the slightest bit of clear coat. Which makes sense but I don't have the money to buy those tools and abrasives.... So, I wanted to try Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Unlike Swirl X or Scratch X, I believe ultimate compound actually removes clear coat and helps level the clear coat instead of filling the scratches. Am I correct? I spent around 15-20 hours detailing my truck using the following products (wash, clay, compound, wax/seal, carnuba) and my results are amazing. My swirls are basically gone. In some spots, I still have a small amount of them, but not very noticible. Will they come back quickly after a few washes? After i used the Compound, I hit my truck with a very bright light to check for swirls, and they were basiclally gone. I checked this before waxes because I did not want to see just the results after the wax because the clear coat will be leveled with the wax. Here's a picture of my hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 36

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A polishing compound certainly can correct minor imperfections.

The worse part is how meticulous you have to be with washing to keep them from coming back. ZOMG. I want an old farm truck anymore, trying to keep this beauty clean and swirl free is amazingly difficult on a daily driver.

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Aggressive compounds for removing swirls is a huge NO NO..! Compounds are for an actual cut and polish which is wet sanding and polishing. And yes. General store products such as Mother's and Meguiars are fillers and will not last after a few washes. I could go on and on. At our shop it takes many different pads and polishes and steps for proper long lasting results. And a lot of experience to actually carry out the process.

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Even a store product compound is a filler?

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Since you're already done with the work, I'd just recommend you change up your washing/drying methods. It's not impossible to prevent swirls from coming back, but you have to be meticulous about the equipment you use. For instance, an easy way to keep swirls from popping up would be to change the drying cloth you use.

I use a waffle weave towel, after I use my leaf blower to remove most of the water from a vehicle. If you don't have access to a leaf blower or compressed air, use a california blade and make sure it's free of debris first.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ultimate Compound does not have any fillers per say, but it does leave behind oils -- which may act like fillers. Before applying your wax/sealant, you should have done an IPA wipe down. What did you use for wax/sealant? It looks like you did a great job. Keep it sealed with a high quality sealant. Use a 2 bucket wash, keep out of car washes, and your results should stay intact for some time.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ultimate Compound actually works great, and when on a budget, it's probably the best bang for your buck. On my 2012 Mustang GT I used the clay bar treatment, ultimate compound, then AutoGlym paint cleanser to release any oil build up from the compound, and then 2 coats of Autoglym wax, and the compound took the swirls completely out, and even after a year of washes they didn't come back. The important thing is to protect the work you've done with a good wax, and ensure you wax it regularly. I waxed the Stang every 3 months during the summer months, as it was stored in the winter, but when I washed the car I used the 3 bucket system and a leaf blower to dry it, then with a good quality drying towel I dab dried the remaining water droplets. Never had an issue with swirl marks again.
I just recently did the same with the Ram.