At my wits end...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So I have checked for codes since this all started... all I ever got was a code 12 (batt. disconnected in last 50 starts) and a code 55- end of sequence.

It literally just threw a code 11 after I drove it around the block and parked it when it stalled again. ******* Dodge has hands down, the worse engine management system known to man.

Code 11 on a 1996 Dodge Ram means that there is no ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.

So more than likely the crank shaft position sensor is toast? WTF?

Dodge sucks balls.

Sorry to vent, but dam!

Thanks for your guys help so far...

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
How does the PCV look, i did not see it mentioned in your list

I did change that. After it sat for so long I popped out the old one and shook it. No rattle, so it got replaced. I will add it to the list.

Thanks. I am kind of convinced now it's the crank shaft position sensor. See above^

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any part store can put a load tester on the battery to check it.

So I have checked for codes since this all started... all I ever got was a code 12 (batt. disconnected in last 50 starts) and a code 55- end of sequence.

It literally just threw a code 11 after I drove it around the block and parked it when it stalled again. ******* Dodge has hands down, the worse engine management system known to man.

Code 11 on a 1996 Dodge Ram means that there is no ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.

So more than likely the crank shaft position sensor is toast? WTF?

Dodge sucks balls.

Sorry to vent, but dam!

Thanks for your guys help so far...
I think it's hard to say that an entire brand sucks because a 26 year old truck has sat for years and is showing some signs of problems once revived. That's going to happen on every brand.

If you want to fix all of the issues you need to be methodical with the repairs and do a lot of troubleshooting and testing. Take one step at a time and understand that its a marathon and not a sprint. It will calm the frustration and ease the desire to blast the parts cannon at it.

However, code 11 does narrow it down. It's likely either 1 of 2 things. The crank sensor is bad or the pickup plate. I would start with the pickup plate (I believe it's also called a distributor pickup plate, a hall switch, or a switch plate) as they're relatively cheap. The pickup plate on my 318 was located in the distributor so I'd venture to say it's probably the same for the 360. If you want to test it, find the wire coming from the distributor and with the engine running, wiggle the pigtail and see if the engine starts to break up. If it IS the pickup plate be aware that aftermarket units don't seem to work quite as well. This is an area where the OEM plate will serve you well.

Unless it has 300k miles I doubt the timing chain (not a belt on the 5.9) skipped a tooth.

On the battery... it doesn't matter how new it is. I've gotten batteries with dead cells off the shelf.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If you do set it on fire and roll it off a cliff, make sure to video it. Post to YouTube and you might earn enough ad revenue to buy a new one.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I think it's hard to say that an entire brand sucks because a 26 year old truck has sat for years and is showing some signs of problems once revived. That's going to happen on every brand.

If you want to fix all of the issues you need to be methodical with the repairs and do a lot of troubleshooting and testing. Take one step at a time and understand that its a marathon and not a sprint. It will calm the frustration and ease the desire to blast the parts cannon at it.

However, code 11 does narrow it down. It's likely either 1 of 2 things. The crank sensor is bad or the pickup plate. I would start with the pickup plate (I believe it's also called a distributor pickup plate, a hall switch, or a switch plate) as they're relatively cheap. The pickup plate on my 318 was located in the distributor so I'd venture to say it's probably the same for the 360. If you want to test it, find the wire coming from the distributor and with the engine running, wiggle the pigtail and see if the engine starts to break up. If it IS the pickup plate be aware that aftermarket units don't seem to work quite as well. This is an area where the OEM plate will serve you well.

Unless it has 300k miles I doubt the timing chain (not a belt on the 5.9) skipped a tooth.

On the battery... it doesn't matter how new it is. I've gotten batteries with dead cells off the shelf.
I had already replaced the dist. pickup coil in an effort to curb the stalls. So it more or less widdles it down to the crank shaft position sensor... no?

And according to Dodge's stellar advice from the book- And I quote the little asterisk * next to code 11- (Event may not always issue a code). The fawk is that? Must be a Dodge thing. In any case yeah, code 11 narrowed it down. According to the book it's either the pick up coil (which has already been changed), a timing belt issue (which this engine doesn't have), the timing chain broke (which really would have been obvious) or a crank shaft position sensor.

I tested the battery. It's fine.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had already replaced the dist. pickup coil in an effort to curb the stalls. So it more or less widdles it down to the crank shaft position sensor... no?

And according to Dodge's stellar advice from the book- And I quote the little asterisk * next to code 11- (Event may not always issue a code). The fawk is that? Must be a Dodge thing. In any case yeah, code 11 narrowed it down. According to the book it's either the pick up coil (which has already been changed), a timing belt issue (which this engine doesn't have), the timing chain broke (which really would have been obvious) or a crank shaft position sensor.

I tested the battery. It's fine.
Did you replace it with an OEM unit or an aftermarket? The aftermarket ones are hit or miss. I've seen plenty of new parts be bad off the shelf.

It sounds like you've already fired the parts cannon at it, so you might as well replace the crank position sensor. All of these have metal contacts that can get corroded when sitting so it could be a combination of things.

If that doesn't work the only thing I could suggest is that you take it to a mechanic. It seems that you're frustrated with it.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ok I figured some things out...

The crank shaft sensor is bad, but my engine in my 1996 dodge is from a 98 or later I believe. It only has on port for a coolant temp sensor. Is there a difference between the crank shaft position sensors in those years? The one I ordered looks longer than the one I took out. And will the later year model have a different plug?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok I figured some things out...

The crank shaft sensor is bad, but my engine in my 1996 dodge is from a 98 or later I believe. It only has on port for a coolant temp sensor. Is there a difference between the crank shaft position sensors in those years? The one I ordered looks longer than the one I took out. And will the later year model have a different plug?
Not according to Google.

Both are calling for the same part number.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Well something is off then... The original is 1/8" or better shorter than the new one. And the used one has a slight groove worn in it.

I am beginning to understand why most Dodge owners I know seem so angry all the time.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never been angry. :) But then again I also don't fire the parts cannon at things so my wallet keeps me happy. Take it to a shop and you'll be less upset with it. Not poking, but if you can't figure it out then that's what I would do. We're not getting all the pieces to the puzzle here.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I've never been angry. :) But then again I also don't fire the parts cannon at things so my wallet keeps me happy. Take it to a shop and you'll be less upset with it. Not poking, but if you can't figure it out then that's what I would do. We're not getting all the pieces to the puzzle here.
Do you even own a second gen dodge? Also you may want to work on your google skills... apparently there ARE differences in crank sensor sensors between years. AND between auto and manual.

My point:
Fits 95-96
Fits 97-03

I need some one who works on these, not someone who takes everything to a mechanic.

Anyone else have some actual experience?

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you even own a second gen dodge? Also you may want to work on your google skills... apparently there ARE differences in crank sensor sensors between years. AND between auto and manual.

My point:
Fits 95-96
Fits 97-03

I need some one who works on these, not someone who takes everything to a mechanic.

Anyone else have some actual experience?

I don't currently own a 2nd gen, but I have in the past. I also work on all of my own vehicles (unless I realize that I need to bring in a professional to diagnose something that I just don't have the tools or experience to find). So... I have the actual experience that you're speaking of. You just don't like my answers.

If you really want to know why folks aren't more eager to help you solve this problem I might be able to point you to an answer.

"I hate this pos truck... and need some help before I set it on fire and roll it off a fawkin cliff."
"Dodge sucks balls."

Plus the above comments.

This is a Ram forum. If you want help with a Ram, maybe try coming in here with a little less attitude and a little more gratitude. A few of us have offered suggestions. Each time it seems that you come back later and have fired the parts cannon at it again. This why a few of us have suggested that you find a mechanic. If you're just going to ignore what we're telling you and get an attitude when we do offer suggestions, then why bother?

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I don't currently own a 2nd gen, but I have in the past. I also work on all of my own vehicles (unless I realize that I need to bring in a professional to diagnose something that I just don't have the tools or experience to find). So... I have the actual experience that you're speaking of. You just don't like my answers.

If you really want to know why folks aren't more eager to help you solve this problem I might be able to point you to an answer.

"I hate this pos truck... and need some help before I set it on fire and roll it off a fawkin cliff."
"Dodge sucks balls."

Plus the above comments.

This is a Ram forum. If you want help with a Ram, maybe try coming in here with a little less attitude and a little more gratitude. A few of us have offered suggestions. Each time it seems that you come back later and have fired the parts cannon at it again. This why a few of us have suggested that you find a mechanic. If you're just going to ignore what we're telling you and get an attitude when we do offer suggestions, then why bother?
Nowhere in your response did you offer advice or help.

Or maybe I missed it? I am fairly mechanically inclined. And I have NO issue getting into this. At all...

So if you had some advice, what was it? I have gone through this thing and have put a couple hundred bucks into it. Far less than a shop to diagnose it. So with all that said... What was your advice? Or did you actually have any?

Also... I stand by my original statements. To date... every dodge I have worked on sucks big fat hairy balls.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
For those actually interested in helping that have some advice, please feel free...

Apparently the only advice the above responder has is "I don't know... I haven't a clue what to do besides take it to a mechanic". If the entire point of a Ram forum is to tell people to go to a mechanic... doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also... I stand by my original statements. To date... every dodge I have worked on sucks big fat hairy balls.

please go buy a ford and leave us to laugh at your misery :party36:

hopefully you will get one of those triton plug shooters and you can go cry about it on the f150 forum, tell them about how much you loved to lick the big hairy dodge balls and now your stuck with slim hairless little boy ford balls :roflsquared:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nowhere in your response did you offer advice or help.

Or maybe I missed it? I am fairly mechanically inclined. And I have NO issue getting into this. At all...

So if you had some advice, what was it? I have gone through this thing and have put a couple hundred bucks into it. Far less than a shop to diagnose it. So with all that said... What was your advice? Or did you actually have any?

Ahh.... there it is.

If you go back through and read my posts, I actually did offer suggestions but you just didn't bother reading them. Sometimes the suggestion IS to take it to a mechanic to diagnose. That's advice based on what you've posted so far. Time is money to most of us and it has a value.

If you're unable to figure it out in this length of time (and considering that time is money for most of us) sometimes the best bet is to take it to a mechanic who has probably seen these issues before and who can diagnose and/or repair it quicker than you can wait for a forum to solve the problem for you. Whether or not you have an issue getting into it or not does not determine whether or not you have the skill to do so. I am not knocking you for whether or not you have it but rather saying that sometimes you have to admit that it might be a bit out of your wheel house and take it to someone.

I don't believe that you actually want the help, but instead want people to parrot your frustration with a 27 year old truck (which is understandable). If you want the advice then listen without being snarky. You're brand new to the forum. You won't get any help at all with posts like this.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I am getting the sense Dodge owners don't fix their own stuff.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For those actually interested in helping that have some advice, please feel free...

Apparently the only advice the above responder has is "I don't know... I haven't a clue what to do besides take it to a mechanic". If the entire point of a Ram forum is to tell people to go to a mechanic... doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?
Sorta ironic that you just spammed the forum on eight different threads with the same response of "take it to a mechanic"
Take this as an informal warning to stop or further action will be taken by the forum staff.
Don't bother trying to delete or edit your posts now because the forum staff can still see them.

OP
OP
F

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So nothing of value to add? Do you think every issue people ask for help with should be taken to the mechanic?

Is this place just an ad marketing machine or an actual forum where people have input and help each other out?

Maybe you should pm that @nlambert182 chump and offer him some sage advice as well...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357