Auto Headlights and Climite control problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dboyds9343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, new to this forum, I have a problem with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. Hear is the situation. I noticed the other day that my auto headlights did not come on. I bought a new headlight switch, disconnect the neg battery cable, replaced the switch. It took awhile of driving ( I assume the computer does not reset right away), but the auto headlights started working, went to put my AC on and it did not work than I realized the whole climate control panel was out. Change the switch back, the auto headlights and climate control panel worked fine. You can bet I was happy, short lived, got back in my truck after work and neither one worked again. Put the new switch back in, auto headlights don't work but the climate is back working. Not sure what will happen when I drive it again tomorrow. Sorry that this is so long but someone has got to be having the same problem. I have tried both switches the new and the old and one or the other problems continues. I am beginning to think there may be something else wrong other than the headlight switch. Please help

l1tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm kind of curious as to why you thought the headlight switch was going to fix it. Anywho, in order for the auto headlights to function the sun sensor on the dash needs to do it's job. The sun sensor is also is a main input for the climate control system. The sun sensor feeds it's info to the hvac module and that info is passed onto other modules that require that information. Being that your auto headlights AND the climate control is on the fritz it's probably safe to say that the hvac module is having an issue. Obviously it would need to be properly diagnosed but I'm betting that that is what your problem is

OP
OP
dboyds9343

dboyds9343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your input, that give me something else to check out, I am sure that is not something I am going to be able to fix on my own.

OP
OP
dboyds9343

dboyds9343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible that my problem has something to do with the TIPM? Just read an article about it, if it is I guess I could see if any wires are loose or any connections are corroded. Any feed back on this as a possible problem.

l1tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad tipm's cause all sorts of interesting problems.

OP
OP
dboyds9343

dboyds9343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a new one, none of my IOD fuses in my fuse box has power, fuses are good checked them, even switched them out but still not power is going to them in the fuse box. Any one have a ideal on this. Kind of got me in a pinch.

BOSTONDAN1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you ever find out what caused the issue with the headlights and climate controls? I'm having the same issue and cant track down the problem. Randomly the automatic headlights wont work and then the heat/ac knob and the vent selector knob wont work on (the fan speed know WILL work). Every time i disconnect the negative battery terminal it will temporary fix the problem then it will come back a short time late. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
did you ever find out what caused the issue with the headlights and climate controls? I'm having the same issue and cant track down the problem. Randomly the automatic headlights wont work and then the heat/ac knob and the vent selector knob wont work on (the fan speed know WILL work). Every time i disconnect the negative battery terminal it will temporary fix the problem then it will come back a short time late. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Hi @BOSTONDAN1990,

Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local Ram dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.

Mark
RamCares

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines doing this now too!!! Changed the battery and now auto headlights don't work and my climate control is gone. Dead completely

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jrouille

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I recently had the same problem. I called our local Ram dealer and they said they never heard of this issue. My issue was I could not turn my AC/Heat on with the 8.4 uconnect screen or the hard keys. Nothing at all. Screen just said climate off. I also had an issue with my auto headlights. My lights would turn on during day and night with the auto feature. I read somewhere that the auto headlights run through the a/c climate control module. So I figured if both aren't working it must be the climate control module. So after being told by my mechanic I would have to replace or rebuild my 8.4 uconnect costing $500 to rebuild and $1500 to replace and Ram dealer telling me they have never heard of this issue I swapped out the climate control module which took 5 min and $60 and it works fine now. Both auto headlights and my AC. I have a 2013 1500 and the climate control module is behind the bottom glove compartment. Then you remove the panel to the right of the right side air vent. Two 7mm screw heads and just plug in the new one. Worked for me!

cool_chef_09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
so its been 3 years, have you figured out what is causing this issue?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know how you think AUTO HEADLIGHTS work.

Set your headlight switch to AUTO & drive to a shaded area, a breezeway or tunnel is best.
Your headlight will turn ON, when you leave that shaded area & return to full daylight, they will shut back off.

OR, start your Ram, look at your headlights, they will be OFF if your headlight switch is in the Auto position & it is Daylight, now place a rag over the Dome like sensor on your dash board, near the center speaker, Your headlights will come on, if everything is working correctly.