Axle Seal or Caliper Piston Seal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Where do you think this oil/fluid is coming from on right rear wheel? Axle seal or Caliper Piston seal? Truck is at the dealer getting this fixed under my MaxCare warranty. First Extended warranty coverage repair. Also they will give the third attempt at fixing the start/stop button, get a full engine oil filter service and look at Steering wheel radio controls. Have a 3500 mile road trip coming up in a week and need this girl running right.

IMG_0573.jpg IMG_0574.jpg IMG_0575.jpg IMG_0577.jpg

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like the classic leaky axle seal, sling gear oil all around the wheel to me.

2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 Hemi 4:10 Gears Ram Boxes 35x12.50R18 on Factory Wheels
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yep, looks like a axle seal leak.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Smell should give it away right quick.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO definitely axle seal leak. Not brake, as brake is almost clear, not that dark consistency. And yes, the smell test if U have ever smelled used/burnt axle oil will tell U. But due to color and consistency, axle (rear end diff) oil.

Also, what is a: (full engine oil filter service)? I hate to assume, are you just referring to oil change w/filter??? IF they tell U they just gonna change (filter), tell them to get bent and do full oil change with filter.

Just IMHO.......

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
IMHO definitely axle seal leak. Not brake, as brake is almost clear, not that dark consistency. And yes, the smell test if U have ever smelled used/burnt axle oil will tell U. But due to color and consistency, axle (rear end diff) oil.

Also, what is a: (full engine oil filter service)? I hate to assume, are you just referring to oil change w/filter??? IF they tell U they just gonna change (filter), tell them to get bent and do full oil change with filter.

Just IMHO.......

No, just mean oil change with filter. Carried over terminology by some of my equipment service techs call it when they are doing engine, hydraulic and transmission oils services or any combo of them.

I don't drive my truck a whole lot and the past week or so it has only been short, local, 1-3 mile trips so may not have gotten hot enough to cause much of a smell. Just glad that I have the lifetime warranty on my Ram. Especially, since my wife's 2012 Explorer just ran out of its 100K warranty and we dropped $1084 on a service and repair trip to the dealer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, though in TX, grew up NE. Never heard referred to that way. Good Luck with your issue. Hope U have a reputable dealer and make sure U check or have someone U trust check diff fluid level after service. There have been a few failures on another forum where stuff worked on/replaced and not enuf diff added and blown rear ends, just FYI...

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, dealer actually called me today and said my truck is done and ready for pickup. Got the truck and they said it was the axle seal. replaced the bearing and seal. Should have asked if they replaced the race or not but forgot. I'll check the diff fluid but I don't think much came out as I don't drive it much.

Question: I asked if the brake pads should have been replaced and the service writer said it is not necessary. I asked if he was sure as I would think that the they would get fouled with oil or grease as the caliper was coated with the oil when I first checked or at least the part of the caliper I could see. What is typical protocol with the Ram 2500. Have never taken the wheel off this particular truck so have not seen it. Maybe I should tomorrow?.?.?.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Check your service ticket, they should have needed to add some oil after replacing the seal. Also i would pull the wheel and do a good cleanup of the oil. I sure they didn't and it the only way to tell if the leak has stopped.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Mine has a small leak as well, drivers side if I recall, noticed it when I did my brakes a little bit ago.
Going into the dealer soon for replacement.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if there’s a defect on the drivers side axle seals. Seems like everyone who has an axle leak it’s the drivers side including mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk