Back up camera upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Hebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, first time user, I just have a question if anyone has ever upgraded the factory back up camera or if it is even possible? I have the 8.4 uconnect system and the back up camera is average at best on my 2016 Laramie 1500 crew cab. I already don't like that the camera is off center to the left of the handle, not a big deal, but I think they should come in the center of the vehicle. My 2007 Tahoe had better clarity. I test drove a 2019 Ram before buying the one I have now a couple weeks ago. The 2019 Camera has AMAZING clarity, and a very sharp image quality. Is it possible to swap them out or is there anything else out there with the guidelines when reversing? THX

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Mark First WELCOME and I know a dub b question and I am sure you have BUT have you tried cleaning the lens off ? Looking closely at the lens is it foggy inside ? I have read a few post that some have fogged up ! Also try adjusting the brightness wheel in the cab, bright to dull back to bright. I am not much help but I am sure a Tech guy will chime in . And I believe you can use a after market camera. I will be following in case I have issue other then brain issues lol And PLEASE UPDATE when you find a fix

OP
OP
Mark Hebert

Mark Hebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply, and yes the camera is clean and it appears to be in good shape. I should say the image is decent, its probably exactly how the others are. But when I drove that 2019 the camera blows mine away. kind of like the image on say a cell phone 6 years ago compared to the cell phone cameras today. The Uconnect has great image quality and everything is sharp, then the camera comes on and its just average. So even when I wipe it clean and the brightness is up and stuff, it gets the job done, but comparing the two its such a large difference. I was just wondering if the camera itself could be upgraded to these ones that have great image quality like in the 2019 ram, or if there is an aftermarket one I could install into the factory camera location. It might also be the new 12 inch monitor that is high quality as well as the camera and the two paired together display the fantastic image. Thanks

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Your welcome.. I forgot the 2019 has the 12" screen, IMO Bigger would make the image better.. I would go to a car lot and look at the rear view in the ones with the same radio as you have !Then compair those to yours, Might be a better match !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca