Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigCalsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a base model 2016 RAM 1500 pretty devoid of upgrades, but have found it necessary to add a backup camera. I am installing a backup Camera from https://www.carnaviplayer.com/ that replaces the stock tailgate handle. This camera requires power from the reverse lights, which I figure I could tap right at the plug behind the tail lights.

2 questions:
Does this seem like the best place to get power for this application?
From what I could find there should be a black- ground and a red- positive behind there, anyone know from experience if that's what will be back there?

Thanks for your help I haven't done anything really to this RAM but have experience in a past life installing stereos, so mildy comfortable with the process.

Backup Camera

Thanks
Nick

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This camera requires power from the reverse lights, which I figure I could tap right at the plug behind the tail lights.

2 questions:
From what I could find there should be a black- ground and a red- positive behind there, anyone know from experience if that's what will be back there?
Don't tap the reverse lights as it could cause issues with the bulb out detection.
You can use this CURT wiring harness to get the reverse and +12 volts from the trailer plug:

OP
OP
B

BigCalsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will it work with the stock radio? do you need ALPHA OBD?
I am upgrading the head unit with a carnaviplayer direct replacement option which is real simple, so I failed to mention it.

Thanks
Nick

OP
OP
B

BigCalsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't tap the reverse lights as it could cause issues with the bulb out detection.
You can use this CURT wiring harness to get the reverse and +12 volts from the trailer plug:
This is exactly the type of guidance I had hoped to gather in this forum. Do you happen to know if typically a backup camera can utilize an accessory power 12V or would it need to be only powered when in reverse? The new head unit already looks for video when reversing so I'm guessing the camera could be powered the whole time the key is on without issue......

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you happen to know if typically a backup camera can utilize an accessory power 12V or would it need to be only powered when in reverse?
That would be specific to the radio manufacturer, I'm guessing you could power it any time the truck is on if the radio has some way to turn the camera while driving forward.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a base model 2016 RAM 1500 pretty devoid of upgrades, but have found it necessary to add a backup camera. I am installing a backup Camera from https://www.carnaviplayer.com/ that replaces the stock tailgate handle. This camera requires power from the reverse lights, which I figure I could tap right at the plug behind the tail lights.

2 questions:

Thanks for your help I haven't done anything really to this RAM but have experience in a past life installing stereos, so mildy comfortable with the process.

Backup Camera

Thanks
Nick
I used a T-tap to tap into the 7 way plug. As I recall, the center wire goes "hot" in reverse. It's not too hard to figure out. Chock your wheels, set your brake, turn on the key, put it in reverse. Use a meter or 12v light and you can quickly find the hot just to verify. There is also another wire that goes hot in reverse in that plug. Looking at it, I think it's at 2:00 position.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I used a T-tap to tap into the 7 way plug. As I recall, the center wire goes "hot" in reverse. It's not too hard to figure out. Chock your wheels, set your brake, turn on the key, put it in reverse. Use a meter or 12v light and you can quickly find the hot just to verify. There is also another wire that goes hot in reverse in that plug. Looking at it, I think it's at 2:00 position.
Yes the center pin is reverse in the 7 pin plug, you don't need to put the vehicle in gear as the pin diagram is molded on the cover.
The center pin is the only one that goes hot for reverse.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the center pin is reverse in the 7 pin plug, you don't need to put the vehicle in gear as the pin diagram is molded on the cover.
The center pin is the only one that goes hot for reverse.
Yep, you're correct. I mention to put it in gear to verify that it does actually go hot. I have never used a trailer on mine and verified that circuit.