Backup camera lines dissapeared.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRedRam15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure where to post this. After reinstalling my tailgate the lines in my backup camera have disappeared. I removed the tailgate and drove it to get a new bed put on. But as soon as I put the tailgate back on I noticed the backup lines had gone away. When I first checked the menu there was a check in the box so I toggled it off but it just automatically ticked back on. Still no lines though. Now when I look in the menu the check box is empty and automatically unchecks itself when I try to toggle it on. Any ideas? Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BigRedRam15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And I just checked it again and the box is again checked in the menu, all by itself, but still now lines. I tried resetting everything back to factory settings but still no lines. :-(

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
Curious to see what you get figured out. I got a 2021 ram 3500 that’s doing the same thing.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Following ,
Is there anything in Settings that can be checked or unchecked for the camera that might turn lines on and off ! ????

Last edited:

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been trying to get rid of the lines, I disconnected tailgate and reconnected, still got lines.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Found this thread here ! May help I have not read it all

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can enable or disable the menu item for the backup camera lines using AlphaOBD and OBDLink MX+.

Once you get connected, select Body Computer --> Your Body Computer Model Year. I.e.: I have a 2017. The Model year I would select is "Body Computer MY2016+ PowerNet". If I had a 2018, I would select the MY2018 PowerNet. When you get connected, select the Diagnostics button (looks like a car with it's hood up), and then select "Rear View Camera Grid Lines" - should be pretty far down on the menu. Select Enabled (or Disabled) and then "START". Wait until it says the procedure is complete. I believe this overrides the menu button (enabling or DISABLING that MENU item). You should now be able to enable or disable whether the lines show up through your radio stack menu assuming that that selector was disabled by the factory, the dealer, or the service dept.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And I just checked it again and the box is again checked in the menu, all by itself, but still now lines. I tried resetting everything back to factory settings but still no lines. :-(
Have you tried disconnecting & reconnecting the tailgate connector? That's how it happened on the first place. While it's disconnected check for recessed pins.

OP
OP
B

BigRedRam15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did do that but it didn't help. I thought I would get some contact cleaner, take it apart and clean it up. I've got a schematic and there are only five wires for the camera. Plus the camera itself is working. I can ring the wires out with a multi-meter but I thinks it's going to be a software issue from driving the truck without the tailgate attached. Although I did use the dummy plug that came with the truck for just such an occasion.

OP
OP
B

BigRedRam15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the lines have magically reappeared. Stopped at the dealer yesterday evening and spoke with the service manager. He had a couple of ideas like disconnecting / reconnecting the tailgate harness. Checking for recessed pins. Cleaning the contacts. Ringing out the wires...... I went to leave and the lines were back! I guess I just needed to drive by the dealer to get them to work! lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well the lines have magically reappeared. Stopped at the dealer yesterday evening and spoke with the service manager. He had a couple of ideas like disconnecting / reconnecting the tailgate harness. Checking for recessed pins. Cleaning the contacts. Ringing out the wires...... I went to leave and the lines were back! I guess I just needed to drive by the dealer to get them to work! lol
When you rehooked up the connector,did you feel it click into place and lock.My tailgate is off pretty well every week-end in the summer,and i learned to listen and feel for the click when reconnecting the connector,otherwise it'll do some funky things with the camera

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can enable or disable the menu item for the backup camera lines using AlphaOBD and OBDLink MX+.

Once you get connected, select Body Computer --> Your Body Computer Model Year. I.e.: I have a 2017. The Model year I would select is "Body Computer MY2016+ PowerNet". If I had a 2018, I would select the MY2018 PowerNet. When you get connected, select the Diagnostics button (looks like a car with it's hood up), and then select "Rear View Camera Grid Lines" - should be pretty far down on the menu. Select Enabled (or Disabled) and then "START". Wait until it says the procedure is complete. I believe this overrides the menu button (enabling or DISABLING that MENU item). You should now be able to enable or disable whether the lines show up through your radio stack menu assuming that that selector was disabled by the factory, the dealer, or the service dept.
Hate to buy the app just for this, BTW I must have the cheapy EVIC cause I don't see rear camera on the menu

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found this thread here ! May help I have not read it all

he ended up buying a new harness..it had a bad wire. $180....i would have just fixed the wire.

OP
OP
B

BigRedRam15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I ended up getting some electrical contact cleaner and spraying out both connectors. It was odd because once I got the steering lines back again I noticed that the picture was kind of grainy and darker than normal. Then the steering lines would disappear but the picture would be very crisp and bright. Then our temperatures outside dropped down into the teens and everything worked like it should. Until it warmed up outside again. But a few squirts of contact cleaner and all is well. I hope!