Banging in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've had the 2500 for a couple months now and all is well for the most part.

However, I keep getting an intermittent banging in the steering/suspension that of course I can't replicate at the stealership. There's no rhyme or reason, but part way through the steering stroke it sounds like someone is hitting the lower control arm with a ball peen hammer.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It's a 2014, 2500 Cummins, with 32k on the clock. Thanks!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That is a tough one.

Does the steering while bounce back or stop for a second when doing it?

so it does it when you're turning to the left / right ?

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a tough one.

Does the steering while bounce back or stop for a second when doing it?

so it does it when you're turning to the left / right ?

No, it doesn't bounce back or stop, and it bangs in both directions. The first time I really noticed it, I had the wife get in and move the wheel while I crawled under the front of the truck to see if I could pin point it. She said she could feel it in the steering wheel too, when it knocked.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
is it at the same exact amount of rotations in the steering wheel? left and right?

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is it at the same exact amount of rotations in the steering wheel? left and right?

I believe so. Since it's not constant I'll have to remember to count. It's not the steering stops if that's what you're thinking.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I believe so. Since it's not constant I'll have to remember to count. It's not the steering stops if that's what you're thinking.

LOL!!! Wasnt thinking that at all but its funny. Gave ma a laugh

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL!!! Wasnt thinking that at all but its funny. Gave ma a laugh

I only bring it up because that's what the stealership tried to tell me... I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I'd know if it was the end of the f'n stroke. lol :favorites13:

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Intermediate shaft? That'll give a knocking sensation & clunking sound.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I only bring it up because that's what the stealership tried to tell me... I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I'd know if it was the end of the f'n stroke. lol :favorites13:

and the end of the stroke sure doesn't hit hard enough to make a hammer to steel niose.......

T.W.S.S.:naughty:

Chuck14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Two questions.

1. When did you have the recall done on the front end (can't remember the recall number but was a major topic here not long ago)?

2. Did this issue start before or after the above recall being done?

I ask because after I had the recall done on my truck (2014 2500) I had a similar issue. Crank the wheel left or right and the front end would pop. It would do this going forward or reverse. The truck also wallowed going down the road. Was difficult to maintain a lane at times. Luckily the truck was making the noise during a test drive with the service manager.

He brought the truck back in and had every bolt loosened and torqued back to specs. This fixed the issue and the truck drives as good as new.

Now I was told the only difference was that the truck was on a four post lift (wheels unsupported) the first time. The second time the truck was on a ramp lift (wheels supported).

Were the wheels being unsupported during the install the issue? I don't know. Maybe? All I know is the truck drives like it should and I am happy.

YMMV. Good luck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have something on my truck while turning at slow speed that I would best describe as a crawling hop. It feels as though the front tires are moving side-ways and hopping a bit. I suppose it feels like a bit of a banging through the steering wheel. It's only at very low speed and while turning at or near the max. I've just always figured this is what a warranty is for. Maybe someday something will break and I will get some new stuff :)

I'm not sure if this is the same thing the OP is experiencing but it sounds similar.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have something on my truck while turning at slow speed that I would best describe as a crawling hop. It feels as though the front tires are moving side-ways and hopping a bit. I suppose it feels like a bit of a banging through the steering wheel. It's only at very low speed and while turning at or near the max. I've just always figured this is what a warranty is for. Maybe someday something will break and I will get some new stuff :)

I'm not sure if this is the same thing the OP is experiencing but it sounds similar.

Sounds a little diff to me. sorry, but i have to ask..... is it in 4wd?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds a little diff to me. sorry, but i have to ask..... is it in 4wd?

Come on now :) :) Nope, not in 4WD. It's not so much of a binding as it is lateral movement. Every HD truck I've driven seems to somewhat "complain" when making super tight turns at low speed in parking lots and such.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Come on now :) :) Nope, not in 4WD. It's not so much of a binding as it is lateral movement. Every HD truck I've driven seems to somewhat "complain" when making super tight turns at low speed in parking lots and such.

I had to ask...you know. sorry.

i know what you mean about making full lock turns on a solid front axle truck. there is nothing about it that should be done fast. the tires hate it the most. i remember in my f-150 I could zip around pretty quick at full lock with no concerns. thats IFS for ya.

I do think someone had the right idea when mentioning the intermediate shaft. as well as the recall.