Tiny clunk in my steering is still driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've replaced every steering part on my 2015 2500 about 10k ago. I got the BMF aluminum inserts for the u-joint under the dash, but I've STILL got a tiny clunk in the steering.

I think I feel it in the lower ujoint on the steering shaft down by the box, but it's hard to tell.

My question is whether the steering shaft is considered a consumable and if guys are having to replace it?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I haven't seen many others comment on this but from mine I would say yes. My drag link was garbage and I replaced it, steering got better but still not perfect. Everything from the pitman arm down is still tight so the steering shaft is my next guess. One day I was working on the front end and was turning the wheel back and forth without starting it each time. My steering was noticeably worse after that so I think all of that turning without the help of the power steering may have worn out the linkages on the shaft.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I'm thinking that's what I'll do next, since aside from the steering shaft all that's left is the box, and it feels ok.

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 1500 and I have a knock as well it comes from the steering rack not sure if it's a bushing or what it is

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the same issue in my 2017 1500. Inner and outer tie rod ends are good, I replaced the steering intermediate shaft under the hood, and I fixed a steering rack mount that I thought may have had something to do with it. None of this has worked. I do have the bushings to put in the steering column under the dash but if not done that yet. I'm also not sure if an out of 'sync' steering position sensor could interact with the electric power assist and cause this. It's frustrating but a new steering rack is very expensive to replace just on a guess.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've got the same issue in my 2017 1500. Inner and outer tie rod ends are good, I replaced the steering intermediate shaft under the hood, and I fixed a steering rack mount that I thought may have had something to do with it. None of this has worked. I do have the bushings to put in the steering column under the dash but if not done that yet. I'm also not sure if an out of 'sync' steering position sensor could interact with the electric power assist and cause this. It's frustrating but a new steering rack is very expensive to replace just on a guess.

Again, your 1500 has a different steering system than OP's 2500. Your clunks and noises won't be anywhere close to the same as his.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I found that the Steering dampener bolt was loose and that allowed for some clicking. I too have been chasing this issue. It's back and my next step is to replace the factory dampener for the king

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mike,

I have a 2016 2500 hemi and had clunking in my steering. Just like rzr said, my problem turned out to be the drag link. In fact, it snapped when I was parking (thank God it wasn't on the freeway). The dealer replaced it with the upgraded new design and the steering has been solid. Also look into a steering box brace. This was one of the first mods that I did; cheap and easy to install. It tightened up the front end and relieved stress off of the steering box. Hope this helps. BTW I am at 152K miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat