Basic Cam and Lifter change Cost comparison. 2010 SLT 189000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MudDog2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I needed a utility truck around the house as I have a F350 manual with dump bed for the heavy stuff.
So I bought a 10 Hemi that needed some help/maint and the proverbial Tick.
Purchase was 2K, and Ive gotten 90% of repairs done (about 1K), except the tick. And Ive hit a fork in the road.
Truck body is fair, a minor dent in cab and bed and rear bumper. Silver paint and glass are OK, its a Quad Cab.
Expected use is maybe 5k miles a year. So, The cost to fix the Tick , me doing all the labor, I have my own shop, parts prices only is

1. Summitt Kit for Cam/Lifters/Gaskets only approx $1200

2. RockAuto similar(not same) parts approx $800

3. Fleabay kit $300

What Im trying to evaluate is usage vs cost. I would like some feedback on the 3 options. Prefer actual experience as opposed to opinions.
Im not opposed to any of the 3, just trying to justify expenditure as opposed to the value of the truck.

I would really be curious if anybody did a fleabay kit buy and it worked out ok. Inquiring minds ......

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you can do the work, and have a place to do it, why not? Go for it, I say.

As far as parts, I would not buy any 'kits' from ebay or Amazon, for that matter.

Rock auto is ok. I have heard that Enginetech lifters are junk, but no experience there. I have bought OE parts from them and did OK, much cheaper than dealer.

Benny at Allmoparparts is on the site here as well. Worth a look see.

If the truck is in decent shape, thats a plus, IMO.

Getting all the metal out of the engine would be my biggest worry.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited: