Battery Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
They don't last as long as they used to! My trucks went out after 3 years. Our 14' Durango's is still going strong. My old 04' Dakota had 10 years on it when it was sold. I have heard the new batteries are only lasting 2-4 years.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I checked out that website and we have a store right down the road from me too. https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/ram/1500/2015/v8-5.7l-730cca#finder-box-top

They have a 20% off coupon until late Feb. I may see if the dealer can test the battery while I'm there.

Also, the higher the cold cranking amps..the better? And if I did the install myself, does it simply reset my system or would I be throwing codes for some reason afterward (would it be easier to have someone do the install)?

Yes, more amps teh better.

FYI< DUracell is East Penn Battery so too O'Reilly's store brand.

X2 is a NOrthstar battery, also a superb choice.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what the actual warranty policy is for the Duracell Ultra Platinum? It states 48 months but no mention of a pro-rated term, etc.

Walmart's AGM battery is $40 cheaper but only has 3 year replacement, then remaining 2 pro-rated. Many more stores around the country though.

Walmart is Johnson Controls.
Not the old Johnson Controls but new version after some capital hedge fund bought them out....no thank you sir.

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My battery lasts longer than 3 years when i turned the headlight off instead of “30sec on “ timer setting in the menu. So now when engine off, all lights off. I have a 2012 ram hemi crew cab. 108,000 miles. 20w00 napa synthetic. No tic and select 5th to turn off the crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to the dealer for my oil change/rotation. They tested the battery and said it failed the power test. They said it would be about $208 for a replacement, which would be the same OEM battery I have now. I told them I'd make a decision in the next few days. I asked if it would last a couple weeks and he said yeah if that yada yada.

So I went up the road to have the battery + bulbs place run a test real quick. The guy said the power output was a little low but didn't seem to be as bad as the dealer made it out to be (surprise). So I asked if it would make it another week and he said yeah no problem. The battery was still good enough to recharge but I said nah, I'll have to replace it down the road at some point anyway so I'll get a new one.

I told them I'd probably buy one online and do an in-store pick up and they said they will do the install. So I'll get the AGM type battery either the duracell or x2 power as those were the only ones available for my truck on their site.

There is one duracell AGM for $215 and the x2 AGM is $299 with a $30 mail in rebate and 20% off on any battery purchase. I'm thinking of going with the x2, any opinions? x2 also has 5 year warranty and duracell has a 4 year warranty.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently (Dec) changed out my OE battery in my 2011 Ram 1500. Relocated to a northern Ontario isolated community and the thing needed boosts every morning until I bought the best Crappy Tire carried. No more issues and the truck will sometimes sit in -30C weather when I forget to plug her in. Trim of the key and she starts!

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought I heard earlier Rams had AGM batteries. I traded in my 2012 with its original battery last year with no signs of it failing (6+ years). Cranked every time even in frigid temps. I would've changed it if I had kept it so as not to push my luck. However...I recently went away for 2 weeks and my 2019's battery needed a jump when I came home.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
So I went to the dealer for my oil change/rotation. They tested the battery and said it failed the power test. They said it would be about $208 for a replacement, which would be the same OEM battery I have now. I told them I'd make a decision in the next few days. I asked if it would last a couple weeks and he said yeah if that yada yada.

So I went up the road to have the battery + bulbs place run a test real quick. The guy said the power output was a little low but didn't seem to be as bad as the dealer made it out to be (surprise). So I asked if it would make it another week and he said yeah no problem. The battery was still good enough to recharge but I said nah, I'll have to replace it down the road at some point anyway so I'll get a new one.

I told them I'd probably buy one online and do an in-store pick up and they said they will do the install. So I'll get the AGM type battery either the duracell or x2 power as those were the only ones available for my truck on their site.

There is one duracell AGM for $215 and the x2 AGM is $299 with a $30 mail in rebate and 20% off on any battery purchase. I'm thinking of going with the x2, any opinions? x2 also has 5 year warranty and duracell has a 4 year warranty.

Glad I could help you with that. Both are great batteries but i would go with the X2 Power. 5 year warranty, coupon and MIR make it the best choice. You will defiantly see an immediate improvement in starting the truck with ease and brighter lights. I would not delay, your going to need it so start benefiting from it now.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad I could help you with that. Both are great batteries but i would go with the X2 Power. 5 year warranty, coupon and MIR make it the best choice. You will defiantly see an immediate improvement in starting the truck with ease and brighter lights. I would not delay, your going to need it so start benefiting from it now.

Yeah the x2 will be about $210 after the rebate like you mentioned in a previous post. So I will most likely order it online Friday so they will for sure have it,and have it installed Sunday around noon. Thanks for the help and suggestion of an AGM!