Bed Stake Hole Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I bought my '22 Laramie new last November and love it. In May we took a short trip to one of the local flea market/trade days and upon getting home noticed that both rear (tailgate) stake hole plugs were missing. While bummed out, I chalked it up to fate and bought a replacement set off of Amazon. While not "factory ", and while they didn't sit flush like the originals, they fit tight and were the proper color. All was right with the world.
Fast forward to this past week, I took a long road trip and took the kids to a couple of amusement parks. Again, got home and noticed that both plugs are missing again. It seems highly unlikely that both rear plugs would pop out at the same time while driving down the highway, not once but twice.
Anyone else have trouble with your plugs coming up missing? Any advice on how to secure them from prying thieves while still being able to remove them in the future should the need arise?

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think they come with plugs from the factory. At least mine didn’t. I also bought Amazon ones. I can’t see these ever flying off on their own.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
buy some bed rail pocket covers that set in the stake pockets deeper than most.

They would sit deeper in the pocket, then you could drill a hole under the bed rail into the pocket & the plastic cap.

1691378288345.png

Stake Pocket Hole Covers Caps Plugs 2019-2022 Ram Bed Rail Accessories Set of 2​

Made and shipped in Indiana - NO SHIPPING DELAYS
Engineered by Schildmeier, LLC

Then put a screw into both.
You could use a screw with an Allen Head

1691289197872.png
or if you want more security

1691289429690.png

Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck had the plastic rails and the back two holes were already open.

Heads up: if you decide to cut open the front holes, start in the middle and work outwards. They are not as big as that little outline would have you believe. Also, I just used a brand new blade on my exacto knife and it was easy to cut.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did not come with any in the rear holes. I bought some from a guy that 3D printed a bunch and sold them on ebay. They fit nice and snug to the point I needed to tap them in wiih a rubber mallet. They sit flush and I'm not worried about the popping out. I also have a tonneau cover which covers most the it anyway

rws1944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As has been mentioned the rear stake holes are not factory plugged. I bought a set similar to post #4 above and they work very well. Snug flush fit and the only way to get them out is to tap them out from the underside. Keep the tail gate closed and they won't go anywhere. I think mine came from the same place as #9 above,

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before installing them coat the inside and the edge of the inside of the plug with Never-sieze. The M F that tries to steal them will look like Tinman from Wizard of OZ before he/she/them even makes it home.
As someone who can't apply anti seize without getting at least a little on my hand, this is hilarious.

OP
OP
K

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Thanks for the suggestions (especially the Never-sieze). I'm wondering if a dab of silicone would make them a little less susceptible to light fingers.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No covers came with mine either.

Early on the only one offering stake hole covers was the ones GTYankee posted. I bought those and have never had a problem.

They look great and sit flush with the bed rail with a little applied pressure. It would take a passer-by a screwdriver to dig them out.

PStine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 Crew Cab DRW 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO
i have the factor bed rail covers and have lost the rear two stake hole covers as well. i found the rear stake holes the rail covers are inlayed deeper than then the other four. the covers i bought from RealTruck.com - TruXedo Stake Hole Pocket Covers - are all the same and the clips only go down about 1/4 inch, so they dont catch on the rear post holes. i didnt notice it at first when i lost the first one, but when the second one came up missing i got to looking a little harder and noticed the difference.

Attachments

• 2021 RAM 3500 rear post hole.JPG
    2021 RAM 3500 rear post hole.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2021 RAM 3500 front and middle  post hole.JPG
    2021 RAM 3500 front and middle post hole.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 5

brian42

Military
Reaction score
That brings up a good point. Is your '22 Laramie a 1500 or HD?

The bed rails and stake pockets are different between the two. I had a 1500 and only had to "fill" the rear pockets as the front ones have the bed rail over it (although there is a design you can cut out if you want to open them up).

OP
OP
K

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Mine is a 1500. It came with the plastic top rail cover, front and rear stake holes were plugged, and it has the Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover. That's what kills me, not once, but twice both rear plugs have come up missing at the same time. The only thing I can chalk it up to is light fingers where I've parked it both times they came up missing. (They're cheap enough to buy folks. Quit stealing them ya cheap butts.) I'm hesitant to glue them in because I actually use the bed to do truck things on occasion, and will need to access the holes from time to time. I'm hoping to come up with a semi-permanent solution.