Before and After.. Out with the chrome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
I’m doing the same. Got rid of stock running boards and replaced with blacked out ones. Replaced chrome RAM on grill with blacked out lettering. Chrome wheels now gone with Helo blacke rims... side RAM lettering next and then tailgate badging...

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude that looks top class,Way better.
Nope I like Chrome... way worse... sorry.

I'll tell you this, you would have hated the fifties chrome days. Me, I loved it... when they started dropping chrome it was to shave the cost as chrome is far more expensive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looks awesome, fits you truck for sure!!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
First off. Wow!:jawdrop:

Chrome has its place. And it is not on my truck! 60s charger or challenger heck yeah.

well done.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrome has its place. And it is not on my truck! 60s charger or challenger heck yeah.

I agree, I like the real chrome on the classics (just re chromed my bumpers on my 66 buick a few years ago), but prefer color matched on newer vehicles. I think my ram looks a little ridiculous with the chrome on it, but upgrading to the longhorn didn't leave me much choice unless I want to paint or wrap it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I agree, I like the real chrome on the classics (just re chromed my bumpers on my 66 buick a few years ago), but prefer color matched on newer vehicles. I think my ram looks a little ridiculous with the chrome on it, but upgrading to the longhorn didn't leave me much choice unless I want to paint or wrap it.
My Jeep has chrome bumpers on it when I bought it and when I went rock crawling with “friends “ they told me that there was not any shopping malls at the end on the trail we are headed down. Went home and bought a used Warn front bumper and painted the rear bumper (back when I cared what people thought) that was the first mod that lead to my addiction.

Hi my name is Joshua and I’m a mod addict!

01156CBF-A100-4D74-A10F-9573AA499961.jpeg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I'll tell you this, you would have hated the fifties chrome days. Me, I loved it... when they started dropping chrome it was to shave the cost as chrome is far more expensive.
The problem with chrome now days that besides the bumper and tube steps, what is chromed? I had the Texas Edition and the grill, handles, badges, and mirrors we’re all plastic. Had the chrome look but chip and Peeled. So that’s not class. That’s junk. Weight saving, sure, but not class. not to start a beef but to further explain that chrome has its place. :favorites13:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Jeep has chrome bumpers on it when I bought it and when I went rock crawling with “friends “ they told me that there was not any shopping malls at the end on the trail we are headed down. Went home and bought a used Warn front bumper and painted the rear bumper (back when I cared what people thought) that was the first mod that lead to my addiction.

Hi my name is Joshua and I’m a mod addict!

View attachment 184708

Haha yep sounds about right in the jeep world, our phrase was always "chrome won't get ya home"...I had the same addiction except with mud instead of rocks:
101_0499.jpg

The problem with chrome now days that besides the bumper and tube steps, what is chromed? I had the Texas Edition and the grill, handles, badges, and mirrors we’re all plastic. Had the chrome look but chip and Peeled. So that’s not class. That’s junk. Weight saving, sure, but not class. not to start a beef but to further explain that chrome has its place. :favorites13:

Egggsactly! A lot of the "chrome" on the trucks reminds me of the chrome that was on my toy trucks when I was growing up. It would be interesting to see how much weight it would add if everything on the truck was like old chrome rather than all the plastic.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i assume you sold the billet grill-I have a wall of RAM grills-looks cool-if you still have the grill let me know how much $

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, great job on the bumpers and the whole truck.

Blacked mine out some time ago and just blacked out the grill fins and antenna this weekend.

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, nicely done. I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition

Funny you say that because to add the body color trim package or sport or blackout whatever it’s called at the time, is an added cost over chrome today