Bench seat center console shakes at 70mph +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Sooo on my fun journey of being a first ram owner after 3,000 miles on the odo now at 70 mph + my center console randomly shakes violently side to side, with this I seem to have noticed a rotational hum sound which seems to be in the middle or the rear of the truck. Anyone else ever have this issue and symptoms? Dealer appointment 6/26 oh just can’t wait!
-2022 ram classic tradesman crew cab 6’4 box
-4x4, 5.7L, 3.92 gears

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
As above, check the balance. The above 70 mph is the clue :waytogo:

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply’s so far people, looked at rear tires quick and looks like some sticky weights are ripped off as who did the wheels originally removed all old stuff. Now there is just a strip of glue on a outer edge. Hopefully that’s it!

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sooo on my fun journey of being a first ram owner after 3,000 miles on the odo now at 70 mph + my center console randomly shakes violently side to side, with this I seem to have noticed a rotational hum sound which seems to be in the middle or the rear of the truck. Anyone else ever have this issue and symptoms? Dealer appointment 6/26 oh just can’t wait!
-2022 ram classic tradesman crew cab 6’4 box
-4x4, 5.7L, 3.92 gears
also check drive shaft u-joints That will also set up a vibration in center and cause things to shake like you described

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also check drive shaft u-joints That will also set up a vibration in center and cause things to shake like you described
Going to go with the balance first, going to made a appointment at a reputable shop I go to. If it persists after that it’s in the dealers hands under warranty. I don’t want them balancing my tires. Whoever balanced mine last time at a shop I will never go to again added a TON of weights to these wheels.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If it takes a ton of weight to balance it is an indication of an out of round tire, belt slippage or a wheel(s) that aren't round any more. If the tire(s) are bad enough they need to be replaced because no matter how well balanced at some point they will create vibration.

Even brand new tires are often out of round. Never accept a mounted tire that needs an excessive amount of weight. A good shop will go though tires till they get 4 that balance up properly and return the defective ones, bad shops just mount them and force balance the wheel.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it takes a ton of weight to balance it is an indication of an out of round tire, belt slippage or a wheel(s) that aren't round any more. If the tire(s) are bad enough they need to be replaced because no matter how well balanced at some point they will create vibration.

Even brand new tires are often out of round. Never accept a mounted tire that needs an excessive amount of weight. A good shop will go though tires till they get 4 that balance up properly and return the defective ones, bad shops just mount them and force balance the wheel.
Everything was good until 2,000 miles + later. This issue isn’t constant but the noise it makes is which reminds me of the noise I have at 50 mph. From research it seems like my symptoms are a torque converter but I am not a mechanic. The rotational hum is weird. It’s like at a faster speed the issue moves to the back of the truck, which is new as of yesterday. I had so many sets of ko2’s and never had any issues on any vehicles. Not sure if I had faith on the shop that did the work, as they killed my alignment by just checking it as well, and greased up my interior.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like all issues with vehicles, start at the simplest and cheapest and work your way through the diagnostic process. It may not be wheels and tires at all, but it is a common cause and easy enough to rule out.

A good shop is also pretty critical. Anyone that got grease in my vehicle would get a severe nut kicking and I certainly wouldn't be using them again. Best of luck.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like all issues with vehicles, start at the simplest and cheapest and work your way through the diagnostic process. It may not be wheels and tires at all, but it is a common cause and easy enough to rule out.

A good shop is also pretty critical. Anyone that got grease in my vehicle would get a severe nut kicking and I certainly wouldn't be using them again. Best of luck.
Don’t have a picture of the pillar where the seat belt is but they nailed that badly as well, and got a little on the seat. They offered to make it right, Tipping my detailer $20 he got it all out very easy thank the lord. But for a BRAND NEW truck I wanted to punch the kid in the head. Don’t even know why it’s there it’s like he wanted to clean his hands with my headliner

Attachments

• C21A8750-0430-4A7A-8689-2EEDCFBA3897.jpeg
    C21A8750-0430-4A7A-8689-2EEDCFBA3897.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny when you try to purposely drive to create a issue it doesn’t happen. Trying to get it on video and failing, I feel like you literally have to drive until a check engine light comes in, the issue is constant, or something blows up to have the dealer actually try to fix something. Vehicles suck!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have new tires installed, you mentioned the sticky weighs in the rear and an alignment for the grease on the headliner, sounds like a balance problem or a broken belt in one of the tires, what kind of tires if any did you have put on?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A reputable tire store will use a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine.

If the shop is good, after removing a wheel/tire, they place it on the machine.
It will balance or not
If it takes too much to balance, they should inspecting the tire & rim.
The tire could have developed a Bulge, which could be caused by torn radial belts.
The could have a missing strip of weights, it could happen from a employee being careless while mounting or balancing the rim & tire.

Each Rim has a heavy point & a light Point
Each tires rubber also has a heavier & lighter point

If they mount the tire correctly, the Heavy point on the rim, will be matched to the lightest point of the tire.

The weights are there to make up for any difference

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A reputable tire store will use a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine.

If the shop is good, after removing a wheel/tire, they place it on the machine.
It will balance or not
If it takes too much to balance, they should inspecting the tire & rim.
The tire could have developed a Bulge, which could be caused by torn radial belts.
The could have a missing strip of weights, it could happen from a employee being careless while mounting or balancing the rim & tire.

Each Rim has a heavy point & a light Point
Each tires rubber also has a heavier & lighter point

If they mount the tire correctly, the Heavy point on the rim, will be matched to the lightest point of the tire.

The weights are there to make up for any difference
I get a real kick out of all this road force balance talk. It's like it is some new age Vodoo recently enabled by modern technology. When I was 16, which was now 50 years ago I worked in the Sears Auto Centre, mounting and balancing tires. Even back then we spun the rim on it's own. We checked for run out and we marked the heavy and light spots. We also spun the tire on it's own looking for run out and marked the light and heavy spot on the tire. If the tire had too much lateral runout or was too heavy in one spot it was sent back to the maker. We then mounted the tire, putting the heavy side of the tire on the light side of the rim and spun the combined unit.

The new road force units make it easier to do but a good tire shop has been doing this stuff for many decades. The right way to balance a tire has not changed in a long time notr has the need to discard even new tires that don't spin true on the vertical axis or that take too much weight to balance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the alignment shop that i use, still balances tires/rims the old way, there are very few large outfits that do that any more.

Now most of the big outfits are very likely to use one of the Hunter machines

Every Dodge dealership that i go to, has had one of those machines, but they don't have any training on it

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have new tires installed, you mentioned the sticky weighs in the rear and an alignment for the grease on the headliner, sounds like a balance problem or a broken belt in one of the tires, what kind of tires if any did you have put on?
I had bf Goodrich ko2’s installed, only tire I will buy. Never had a issue with them. If it was a balance issue I just think it would be pretty constant.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get a real kick out of all this road force balance talk. It's like it is some new age Vodoo recently enabled by modern technology. When I was 16, which was now 50 years ago I worked in the Sears Auto Centre, mounting and balancing tires. Even back then we spun the rim on it's own. We checked for run out and we marked the heavy and light spots. We also spun the tire on it's own looking for run out and marked the light and heavy spot on the tire. If the tire had too much lateral runout or was too heavy in one spot it was sent back to the maker. We then mounted the tire, putting the heavy side of the tire on the light side of the rim and spun the combined unit.

The new road force units make it easier to do but a good tire shop has been doing this stuff for many decades. The right way to balance a tire has not changed in a long time notr has the need to discard even new tires that don't spin true on the vertical axis or that take too much weight to balance.
I never had the need for road force balancing, all the tires I ever had installed were balanced correctly and that same balance stayed for the duration of the tires. Lots of ko2’s which people claim are terrible.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Day 2 of highway test driving above 70 mph, smooth as silk. Wonder if whatever happened those brief times or so was just a fluke. Put plenty of miles on numerous highway stretches. Google sucks, once I ‘looked up’ center console shaking issues tons of problems with rams popped up going back to ten years ago, which those were constant non fixable issues.