Besides a different sound, any other advantages to an exhaust kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

Just curious....

Besides a different sound, any other advantages an exhaust kit (e.g. Boesch, Carven) have to offer? Any performance gains?

To me, the stock truck sounds great. Not sure I'd want to drop $260+ for a different sound...but that's just me.

Thx

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are performance advantages to just about all exhaust kits that are more free flowing than the stock exhaust. you may not always feel them, but if you're removing restrictions, you're increasing performance.
It's all about moving air, so the more air you can move into the engine and then out of the engine in an efficient manner, the better performing your engine will be.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are performance advantages to just about all exhaust kits that are more free flowing than the stock exhaust. you may not always feel them, but if you're removing restrictions, you're increasing performance.
It's all about moving air, so the more air you can move into the engine and then out of the engine in an efficient manner, the better performing your engine will be.

To a point... your engine also needs a certain amount of back pressure.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only if you make sure to add the muffler manufactures sticker to your truck.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've seen a lot of opinions and information on the topic of backpressure, and i've seen just as much information that refutes it as i do that supports it.
I think you'll find that there's a shift in where the power is. Application is key, or else you won't have people that dump the exhaust right out of the header.
With that said, my money will always be with a free flowing exhaust for performance. The only negative in my book is sometimes it's too loud for a daily driver.

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To a point... your engine also needs a certain amount of back pressure.

I've always thought the same thing, but then I see (for example) dragsters that only have about 2 foot of pipe coming out of each cylinder going up into the air. Obviously those engines & vehickes are worlds different than our trucks, but still curious to see if anyone has anymore information or experimental data or anything. Very interesting subject regardless!

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are a lot of studies out there, but my opinion is that within reason, a less restrictive muffler will be better than one with baffles that restrict air flow.

This is why they sell exhaust cut outs for high HP applications.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are a lot of studies out there, but my opinion is that within reason, a less restrictive muffler will be better than one with baffles that restrict air flow.

This is why they sell exhaust cut outs for high HP applications.

all the electronic nannies limit if any gains from add on mods.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my magnaflow. Only thing that bugs me is when MDS is active, it sounds and runs like a blown up geo metro.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you put a cat back system on plus a catch can you will really feel a difference. :happy107:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sound and here is a short why.

Our trucks are N/A so they move air only through the normal ignition process. There isnt a turbo or supercharger pulling in more air to then need expel more air than the engineers designed the engine for. As well backpressure vs none, again this is a N/A motor, and back pressure will aid in fuel economy and toruqe at low rpms, but does restrict a tad on top end when revving out.

This is seen in many studies. This rule does have many exceptions. Truth is some companies like to exaggerate, or bend the facts to HP gains. Again you may get say that mythical 10hp gain with an exhaust, but at a certain rpm in the power band and likely in a place you commonly dont use and this is at the expense of low end torque. These are mountains of power difference on a N/A motor heck at 390hp they wont even been noticeable, the butt dyno will lie to you.

Now if you have a polished intake manifold, free flowing intake, larger throttle body, cam, no cats, then yes the last piece would be the muffler. Again this is stretch on the rules but still this engine would be designed for top end, not stump pulling so top end will show gains, down low likely not. Heck there are a few guys here that are decked out that can show you dynos, the top end picks up.

Get one you like the sound of thats the bottom line. We can get in VE variables, temps, pressures and make this a full on war, but short and sweet on an exhaust on a N/A truck is noise.

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about one until 1 went by house house with MDS active, sounded like a tug boat. I no longer have that itch.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about one until 1 went by house house with MDS active, sounded like a tug boat. I no longer have that itch.

Yep. Pretty much forced me to either buy a tuner or put the stock muffler back on. I went with the tuner. But the tuner cleaned up the confused 6 speed so it was worth it.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Advantages of a good, loud exhaust:
Smile Everytime you crank your truck up
Wake your ******* neighbors up
Helps discover which interior panels are loose
Drowns out a talkative passenger
Thumbs ups from other drivers with exhaust
Conversation starter
Conversation avoider
Alarm clock
Let the wife know when you're on the way home without calling

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
NO! My only advice/opinion: Choose/select a muffler with a straight through design.