Best Headers for RAM 2500 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But have you done dynos with both to see what the difference really is, or are you just saying yours is the same as going the LT route because it's the way you did it and you want to justify being more frugal with your exhaust system the same way you think the guys buying LT's are doing to justify their spendings?

No but I would bet my truck all 3 of these header manufacturers dyno numbers would be within 1hp. Untill then, show me the dyno sheets.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No but I would bet my truck all 3 of these header manufacturers dyno numbers would be within 1hp. Untill then, show me the dyno sheets.
It seemed like you were talking about a JBA long tube headers, which I have never seen for the 6.4L...or were you talking about shorties? I thought you meant shorties, sorry.

Last edited:

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really appreciate all the input. I was wanting to go to 5.13’s as well, but I figured with my 500ft elevation and minimal hills I’d be fine with 4.88’s. It is a nearly 31% increase in rpms over my current 3.73’s.

I have the flowmaster HD50 muffler, which is fairly tame. I assume headers with high flow cats will help it roar a little more. Granted, I don’t really care must about volume, just want it to sound good.
I have ARH LT with HF cats on my 5.7 and it's louder than stock. I had to go from a Magnaflow 18" to a 22"(larger case) to be at about the same level as before.

the 50HD should be ok since it's already on the quieter side like the Magnaflow 22"

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah the 50HD ain’t bad at all, I can barely even notice it in the cab.

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. I’m trying to do some research on it but not making much headway.

Of all the searching I've done in the past few years, this has been the biggest eye opener.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148-0404-best-headers-shootout/

A similar sized mtr with a similar powerband and look at the Tork from a mid length 1 1/2" header! I'm amazed that Flowtech themselves haven't seized the opportunity to take this and make mid length 1 1/2" headers for all similar application! Specially Trucks!

If I were to bite the bullet and purchase headers right now for my 04 1500 4x4 it would be either the Flowtech ceramic 1 1/2" shorty's, or a set of 1 5/8" LT's. I'm even considering a set of OBX 1 1/2" LT's which should make even more Tork below 3000rpm than in that test.(but flange is wrong and need to know primary tube length!)

So to Know that testing like this exists and yet no one tests 1 1/2" headers any more is Shocking!

1 5/8" LT headers are well known for 450HP before stepping up to 1 3/4" on 3000lb race cars. Yet 5500+lb trucks are running 1 3/4"+ LT's with HP at or below 450 when the rule of thumb says for a heavy truck, go 1 size Smaller in primary diam to retain low end Tork!

I don't get it? Although, as long as they're happy selling product, who's to say they even think about efficiency vs performance? (squeaky wheel syndrome?)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Of all the searching I've done in the past few years, this has been the biggest eye opener.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148-0404-best-headers-shootout/

A similar sized mtr with a similar powerband and look at the Tork from a mid length 1 1/2" header! I'm amazed that Flowtech themselves haven't seized the opportunity to take this and make mid length 1 1/2" headers for all similar application! Specially Trucks!

If I were to bite the bullet and purchase headers right now for my 04 1500 4x4 it would be either the Flowtech ceramic 1 1/2" shorty's, or a set of 1 5/8" LT's. I'm even considering a set of OBX 1 1/2" LT's which should make even more Tork below 3000rpm than in that test.(but flange is wrong and need to know primary tube length!)

So to Know that testing like this exists and yet no one tests 1 1/2" headers any more is Shocking!

1 5/8" LT headers are well known for 450HP before stepping up to 1 3/4" on 3000lb race cars. Yet 5500+lb trucks are running 1 3/4"+ LT's with HP at or below 450 when the rule of thumb says for a heavy truck, go 1 size Smaller in primary diam to retain low end Tork!

I don't get it? Although, as long as they're happy selling product, who's to say they even think about efficiency vs performance? (squeaky wheel syndrome?)

You're so all fired up about smaller primary tubes,why don't you start manufacturing a set for the 4th Gens. You keep harping on something that's not readily available at this point in time,so I think you should start manufacturing them,especially as how you have a burr up your ass about them not being available for the later trucks.If you're not going to go that route,kindly back off on talking about headers that "are not" available to the average guy.Just my 02.Most of us know the benefits to a smaller and longer primary tube,but unless you want to spend a lot of money on a custom made 1 5/8 or 1 1/2 header with a 30" long primary tube,we're basically stuck with what's available.Please give it a rest

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You're so all fired up about smaller primary tubes,why don't you start manufacturing a set for the 4th Gens. You keep harping on something that's not readily available at this point in time,so I think you should start manufacturing them,especially as how you have a burr up your ass about them not being available for the later trucks.If you're not going to go that route,kindly back off on talking about headers that "are not" available to the average guy.Just my 02.Most of us know the benefits to a smaller and longer primary tube,but unless you want to spend a lot of money on a custom made 1 5/8 or 1 1/2 header with a 30" long primary tube,we're basically stuck with what's available.Please give it a rest
Ya wouldn't say what's on your mind would ya.....LOL

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Really not That fired up lol just sharing info I've found while I've been researching header options for our 5.7's ;)

I had considered making myself a set of headers for my own 3rd gen, but how does that help anyone else? The only way you or I or any of us can help the situation is to talk about it openly on forums like this and Show through Interest, that there Is a demand for it!

If every Ram forum on the net started a thread about the need for 1 5/8" LT headers for the 4th gens, guess what!? The header manufacturers would take notice and Build some! Or haven't you ever experienced that side of the manufacturing process?

I had considered starting a thread for you 4th gens, but thought it would be Inappropriate since I didn't Own a 4th gen 5.7. Since You have shown an interest in purchasing a set of 1 5/8" LT's, maybe an avenue You may want to consider?

I Have, in the last week or so, and since it was brought to my attention, emailed several header manufacturers, suggesting there is a demand for 1 5/8" LT headers for the 4th gen Rams and suggested they get on Top of the market and do a run to see how demand is. So I would also suggest anyone else interested to do the same.

This is the True value of a community forum. Not to just Blah Blah Blah, or attempt to heighten ones Ego by putting others down, but to actually Do something about what is deemed Needed!

I can understand your frustration in not being able to purchase what you Know would be a superior product for Your needs and application, and I'm sorry that speaking my mind bothered you that much, but it's the only way I know of how to make a difference.

Peace :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Really not That fired up lol just sharing info I've found while I've been researching header options for our 5.7's ;)

I had considered making myself a set of headers for my own 3rd gen, but how does that help anyone else? The only way you or I or any of us can help the situation is to talk about it openly on forums like this and Show through Interest, that there Is a demand for it!

If every Ram forum on the net started a thread about the need for 1 5/8" LT headers for the 4th gens, guess what!? The header manufacturers would take notice and Build some! Or haven't you ever experienced that side of the manufacturing process?

I had considered starting a thread for you 4th gens, but thought it would be Inappropriate since I didn't Own a 4th gen 5.7. Since You have shown an interest in purchasing a set of 1 5/8" LT's, maybe an avenue You may want to consider?

I Have, in the last week or so, and since it was brought to my attention, emailed several header manufacturers, suggesting there is a demand for 1 5/8" LT headers for the 4th gen Rams and suggested they get on Top of the market and do a run to see how demand is. So I would also suggest anyone else interested to do the same.

This is the True value of a community forum. Not to just Blah Blah Blah, or attempt to heighten ones Ego by putting others down, but to actually Do something about what is deemed Needed!

I can understand your frustration in not being able to purchase what you Know would be a superior product for Your needs and application, and I'm sorry that speaking my mind bothered you that much, but it's the only way I know of how to make a difference.

Peace :)

I'm not interested in a set of 1 5/8's,i already run 1 7/8's on my truck,and I can't say as i'm unhappy with them.The truck pulls high 1.60 60ft's and runs DA corrected 11.80's ,and even on drag radials with a 75lb Group 31 AGM battery in the back passenger corner of the box is severly traction limited,so i'm not looking to add any more bottem end torque lol.I'm just pointing out the fact,you're going on and on and on,about something that isn't readily available to the average guy.Good luck with getting the header manufacture's to tool up and build smaller headers for a small niche market.Keep us updated on your progress.

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Can you guys post some P/N's for these shorty's?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley