Best Plugs for the 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok every forum needs this thread.

What are your thoughts and recommendations.

I have always heard that the copper champions work the best. I won't deny that as I used the platinum and had pinging issues. So I went back to copper.

Anyone else have better luck out of NGK? I have also been looking at the E3 but I need a good cool burning plug. I wanna keep my cylinder temps down for when I run my tunes with 93 octane.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 3rd Gen so I am not sure if its apples to apples but here is what I found. I ran the stock plugs. They were good. I ran the NGK and they were about the same but didn't seem to last as long. Then I tried the Bosch Platinums and they were horrible. I now run the Champion Platinum not the double ones. They are the best by far! I do not think I will try another plug again for the Dodge. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^Good to share! I know there are mixed reviews on all the plugs and I really wouldn't mind an overall idea of what works best. I had platinums in there but they may have been bosch now that I think of it.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I can not figure out why but the Bosch Platinums we just no good. I have used them in my previous Chevy SB's and they were great. Tried them in the hemi and they were worse than the old NGK's I replaced. I would like to know if anyone else had the luck with the single platinum Champions like i did. BTW don't know if it's still going on but I payed 3.18 per plug and they had a rebate for 3.00 a plug. Yea got a whole plug change for $2.88!!

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
stock champions.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I used to run Champion truck plugs untill they stopped making them. I just run plain old copper champions or whatever thier regular plug is.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i too would suggest the champion copper plugs (RC12)...or Autolite 3923 if you're really wanting a colder plug.

Last edited:

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm running some copper NGK's in mine now. Had them in for about a year and they're still doin just fine but I'll probably swap back to Champions and see how they do

Howells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
im running ngk g power platinum with ngk wires, working good so far, i had pinging issues under heavy load towing my trailer and installed these plugs and wires and havent had a problem since, i know everyone says dont used platinum but i had to try it for my self and so far its been a year and i dont see any problems yet and i have 357,000 km on my truck with the factory 5.9 still. tranny is a different story....lol