BEWARE! of Mopar extend warranty.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Unfortunately I see this too often in my profession. I'm in procurement/contracting and am amazed at how many times I'll write a contract or purchase order and the signer doesn't bother to read the terms/conditions. I've even dropped a 200% salary increase in the middle of one just to see if my boss would catch it. Granted, while I was honored he trusts me so much, I also took him to task for signing a document without even turning a page to see what he was receiving for his signed, legal commitment.

Back on the subject, I have FCA Extended Warranties on my 2018 Ram, 2019 Ram and 2017 GMC. All of them start with the "in service" date and mileage which is the date/mileage when I took possession of them. Some guys don't like them and that's time. I prefer to spend my money on an extended warranty as I've seen first hand how it can help when disaster strikes and I also get a hell of a lot better treatment from the dealer in terms of a loaner car when they have it for even just a day versus taking the courtesy shuttle to work. Yes, I have life insurance too just as I have auto insurance and my extended warranty. It's all about the amount of risk you're willing to take - including executing a document for an extended warranty and not reading/comprehending what you're accepting.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have lifetime warranties on my Ram & my wifes 07 Pacifica. As far as her car goes the warranty has paid for itself, then some

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just bought a 2017 2500 that just came of a lease and still has factory warranty, the 3yr is almost almost done. Being these new vehicles can be pricey to repair I purchased the Mopar 8yr extended warranty, I don't know how they can do this and get away with it and it seems like fraud to me but the warranty doesn't start on the day you purchase the vehicle it goes back to the day it was first put in service when new so they are making you pay for time already gone by. So in my case I bought a 2017 this yr and only really get 6yrs of coverage on a 8 year extended warranty.

It's too bad as you've already purchased the extended warranty, but NEVER do that. It's more just a cash grab for dealers.

You'll find that practically nothing is covered.
Buying vehicles in the past (new or used),I've been asked, "do you want the extended warranty?"
an emphatic "NO"

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i bought an extended warranty from FCA and got a list of the things that will be covered that won't be after the standard 3 yrs otherwise. its very substantial.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3rd party extended warranties are generally useless, manufacturer extended warranties if you get the right one aren't.

Ie extending the bumper to bumper from 3 years to 5, the coverage in year 4 and 5 is the same as the first 3 included with the vehicle purchase for most of them.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wasn't given any type of contract, was just shown a paper with 4 different Mopar warranty plans to pick from if I was interested, it was marked which one I wanted and I signed that paper and no where on that paper does it explain anything about it starting back at the date the truck was put in service. When I got my card with contract info and noticed the date I contacted the dealer about it they said sorry that they didn't explain how it worked and that they get complaints about it all the time.
I guess if you're stupid enough to just sign without reading you deserve whatever happens. You aren't getting ripped-off you're getting exactly what you signed for. :anitoof::manos:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's too bad as you've already purchased the extended warranty, but NEVER do that. It's more just a cash grab for dealers.

You'll find that practically nothing is covered.
Buying vehicles in the past (new or used),I've been asked, "do you want the extended warranty?"
an emphatic "NO"
I can assure you that you're speaking from assuption not fact. My extended lifetime maxcare covers just about everything o my truck. There's very little it doesn't cover. As I stated in a previous post my wifes 07 pacifica added care lifetime has MORE than paid for itself so to each his own. I know I did the right thing for peace of mind.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can assure you that you're speaking from assuption not fact. My extended lifetime maxcare covers just about everything o my truck. There's very little it doesn't cover. As I stated in a previous post my wifes 07 pacifica added care lifetime has MORE than paid for itself so to each his own. I know I did the right thing for peace of mind.

Yup, to each their own

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! That $2-3K you spent on lifetime Maxcare will seem like peanuts WHEN that cam and lifters go out(and they will if you drive it long enough with 5W20 in the crankcase) and you could possibly need a completely new engine or that 8hp70 takes a **** at 200K and its $8K for a new one.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate to say it but warranties now a days are not worth the paper they are written on.you better follow maintenance schedule to a t and have it verified most likely through the dealer.the manufacturer will do their best to find a reason to void a warranty.and if your engine or trans go out at 60000 mile don't think for a minute you are getting a complete new one no questions asked. and if say you do is the service dept trust worthy enough to fix/install it correctly?if you do get a warranty great but at least don't let them finance it and charge you intereste on it for the life of the vehicle loan

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and if say you do is the service dept trust worthy enough to fix/install it correctly?

Yeah I'd be pretty concerned about this part as well...you'd have to know you had a reasonable service department, which seem to be few and far between in most area's. If you had a good place to work with then great, but if not it may end up being pretty useless if you can't trust their ethic or work performed.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Our company purchase a FCA minivan with the lifetime warranty. The sensors which alert you for blind spot detection went out. The lifetime warranty supposedly doesn’t cover this... Needless to say the $1500 sensor didn’t get replaced.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"The peace of mind was worth it". Sounds like an emotional purchase to me.

$8000 is what you're going to pay for the new transmission that you're going to need at 200,000 miles? Let's get real. Are you even going to have that vehicle at 200,000?

But for argument sake, let's pretend that you do still have that vehicle at 200K. At 20,000 miles year, it'd take you 10 years. Your $3000, on average, will turn into $6000 in 7 years. Give it 3 more years, and your insurance company will gladly buy that new $8000 transmission; that is if they're still in business.

Sometimes when you think you've won, you haven't. The guys that sell that BS are sharp. They know how money really works.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"The peace of mind was worth it". Sounds like an emotional purchase to me.

$8000 is what you're going to pay for the new transmission that you're going to need at 200,000 miles? Let's get real. Are you even going to have that vehicle at 200,000?

But for argument sake, let's pretend that you do still have that vehicle at 200K. At 20,000 miles year, it'd take you 10 years. Your $3000, on average, will turn into $6000 in 7 years. Give it 3 more years, and your insurance company will gladly buy that new $8000 transmission; that is if they're still in business.

Sometimes when you think you've won, you haven't. The guys that sell that BS are sharp. They know how money really works.
If you maintain the trans according to fcas recommendations, it won't make 200k miles.

Also consider the radio that controls everything, the potential can/lifter issue and the lovely tipm

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Amos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our company purchase a FCA minivan with the lifetime warranty. The sensors which alert you for blind spot detection went out. The lifetime warranty supposedly doesn’t cover this... Needless to say the $1500 sensor didn’t get replaced.

The lifetime warranty doesn't cover company vehicles. At least that what it says in my contract.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess the FCA dealership knowing that it sold the vehicle to a company should have known that before selling them insurance. The owner said he will no longer buy a vehicle from them.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess the FCA dealership knowing that it sold the vehicle to a company should have known that before selling them insurance. The owner said he will no longer buy a vehicle from them.

Sounds like a typical dealership, sadly.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chris, I have money set aside for the cam I have picked out, should that need ever arise. I also have money for the ATS Stage 3 transmission that I'm going to put in if the stock 545RFE ever gives up. I know which shops are going to do the work, if ever.

That's the beauty of insuring yourself. You don't have to ask permission for anything. You pick out what parts you want. You negotiate the best price from the best shops. When the work is done, you show up with a stack of cash ,and see if they can do even better on the price.

Unfortunately, my truck will probably never need a cam or transmission. It'd be fun to add those 2 components. Money changes everything. And Cash is King.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Chris, I have money set aside for the cam I have picked out, should that need ever arise. I also have money for the ATS Stage 3 transmission that I'm going to put in if the stock 545RFE ever gives up. I know which shops are going to do the work, if ever.

That's the beauty of insuring yourself. You don't have to ask permission for anything. You pick out what parts you want. You negotiate the best price from the best shops. When the work is done, you show up with a stack of cash ,and see if they can do even better on the price.

Unfortunately, my truck will probably never need a cam or transmission. It'd be fun to add those 2 components. Money changes everything. And Cash is King.
Alright, you made your point. I have lifetime warranty on my wifes ' 07 pacifica and that has more than piad for itself. I decided to buy one for my '17 ram since I plan to retire and keep it for many years and it gives me peace of mind having it. Financially I am very comfortable so thats not really an issue here.

Now what I wonder is why are you here on this forum? If you're that much of a financial genius why aren't you out on your multi million dollar yacht instead on a ram forum bashing everyone who buys a warranty.