Bilstein 5100 Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
02293384-2B68-4B25-93EA-76DF4D09CAF5.jpeg D6DB5AB6-212C-41D7-A215-60EFE9F272B7.jpeg 51D30016-2AC7-4560-A94A-8191B1B0C5B9.jpeg 06AAC922-A125-4767-9AC8-192C8ECCA426.jpeg 42B8142D-DD27-44E7-A480-B96EB8C84C17.jpeg i know this is a random question...but I heard a clunk noise from the front end the other day and decided to narrow down the lists of suspects.

I have put bilstein 5100s in myself before and I’ve made sure to put the infamous washer on the bottom. But the last time they were installed a shop put them in for me so I figured checking the washer placement would be one place to look.

From the pics I think they don’t appear to have been incorrectly installed on the top (like some installers make the mistake of).

You guys don’t see a washer under the nut do you? And is this amount of rust after 1 year normal?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
View attachment 157721 View attachment 157722 View attachment 157723 View attachment 157724 View attachment 157725 i know this is a random question...but I heard a clunk noise from the front end the other day and decided to narrow down the lists of suspects.

I have put bilstein 5100s in myself before and I’ve made sure to put the infamous washer on the bottom. But the last time they were installed a shop put them in for me so I figured checking the washer placement would be one place to look.

From the pics I think they don’t appear to have been incorrectly installed on the top (like some installers make the mistake of).

You guys don’t see a washer under the nut do you? And is this amount of rust after 1 year normal?

I see washers :)

I'd replace the hardware when you work on it again if it we're my truck.

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see washers :)

I'd replace the hardware when you work on it again if it we're my truck.
I think the washer we’re speaking of is pretty small...not much bigger than the diameter of the nut.

The larger circle youre seeing around the nut (I think) is just part of the top hat? But I’m not sure either so I was posting to get answers from the peanut gallery lol...

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
To me it appears like the nut and washer are one piece and not two. Once you take one off we'll know :Caffeine:

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention the large “possible washer” I feel like we’re seeing is part of the ProComp lift kit/front spacer assembly?

Isn’t the infamous washer (that people commonly incorrectly install which is the one I’m concerned with) really small and barely larger than the nut?

I feel like the big obvious one in my pics is just part of the lift kit?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know i see people asking about this before but where are you supposed to put the washer if not under the nut ? lol
There is the shock bushing, (bumpstop in our case) then the washer then the nut, how can somebody mess this up ?
or maybe the washer looks like a cup and people and putting it backwards ? i have no idea what i'm looking at, there seems to be a washer in there underneath the nut. My Ranchos were preassembled, and the Kings doesnt even use that system, is a big bolt that goes through the mounting bracket, can't mess it up :)

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And what i'm seeing may not even be a washer, the supllied washer is very small
go here to min 13, the bumper thingy is the bump stop :)

OP
OP
rwhjr

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So that little washer (the one they threw on AFTER they put the struts actual top hat back on.....

I’m pretty sure they just did it wrong if I’m not mistaken.

The small washer is supposed to go on BEFORE the strut top hat. If you look at the threaded part of the struts shaft (where it gets the nut to hold top hat one) has a beveled edge. The shaft gets thicker BELOW. the threaded end and the washer keeps the stud from pushing up thru the top hat plate.

Not sure if that makes sense or not but it does in my own head lol.

So the large washer you see on mine....that’s not even the same washer I don’t think. I think the one we see on mine is just part of the ProComp front spacer (bolts the spacer to the struts top hat).

I’m not certain if my little washer is on the bottom like it should be but I will be checking this weekend.

Now what actually bothers me more is the amount of rust on the 5100 we can see poking up into my ProComp spacer.....Does that seem remotely normal for a 1yr old Bilstein???

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So that little washer (the one they threw on AFTER they put the struts actual top hat back on.....

I’m pretty sure they just did it wrong if I’m not mistaken.

The small washer is supposed to go on BEFORE the strut top hat. If you look at the threaded part of the struts shaft (where it gets the nut to hold top hat one) has a beveled edge. The shaft gets thicker BELOW. the threaded end and the washer keeps the stud from pushing up thru the top hat plate.

Not sure if that makes sense or not but it does in my own head lol.

So the large washer you see on mine....that’s not even the same washer I don’t think. I think the one we see on mine is just part of the ProComp front spacer (bolts the spacer to the struts top hat).

I’m not certain if my little washer is on the bottom like it should be but I will be checking this weekend.

Now what actually bothers me more is the amount of rust on the 5100 we can see poking up into my ProComp spacer.....Does that seem remotely normal for a 1yr old Bilstein???

This is the install doco that shows how to place the washer, it seems they did put it right ? damn it unless i'm looking at something completetely different, sorry if that was the case..

Edited: after reading the instructions which of course doesn't include the hat mounting plate in the picture, you're right lol, they should have placed the washer first, then the hat, then the nut.

upload_2019-3-7_13-22-29.png

Last edited:

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the install doco that shows how to place the washer, it seems they did put it right ? damn it unless i'm looking at something completetely different, sorry if that was the case..

Edited: after reading the instructions which of course doesn't include the hat mounting plate in the picture, you're right lol, they should have placed the washer first, then the hat, then the nut.

View attachment 157984

Does anyone have a picture of the “hat” you all are referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "hat" you are referring to is the upper shock mount as seen below. Also, here is a picture of the small washer installed incorrectly below the nut. You have to get a camera down in there at an angle to see it.

download.jpg IMG_3077.jpg

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not use a wider heavier duty washer so it working through never happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can probably use a larger washer or just the smaller one that is provided. As long as either washer is installed correctly below the upper shock mount and not above it, the strut rod will not force its way through the hole.