Bilstein 5100 Shock Absorbers Install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello Race Fans!
A quick question on the installation of these Bilsteins...is it required to get a front end alignment done when shocks are installed
I have a '19 1500 Classic Express
Thx!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO yes it is required. Tires are more expensive than those shocks so keep em running true and save yourself some money in the long run. Plus, wouldn't you rather have your truck track perfectly straight all the time?

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes have alignment done. I had the 6112's installed, shop checked and I happened to be within spec after install.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're not changing the ride height... I would just double-check your truck's toe-in with a tape measure (find *like* treads front/back, or use a marker line). If it seems 'right' then it's your call. I probably wouldn't then. If you changed any ball joints, tie rod ends or it's high miles, then a good alignment would be a good idea.

You'd be surprised that some dealers still verify tow this way. And I've had pit passes and seen them do minor adjustments with race and Indy cars in the pits with a tape measure. It surprised me and my buddy. I've done my vehicles with a tape measure too for years. Assuming all else hasn't changed, 1/8" to 3/16" difference front to rear on the tires (that's a 1/16-3/32"toe-in) is what I usually set at. If you're running oversized tires you might want to go on the higher side. 90% of the time, you're paying for a toe-in adjustment anyway.

Before you let your truck down off the jackstands, you double-check the ball joints and tie-rod ends. There's videos that show ya how to do it. Or maybe you have already.

Here's what I use for each wheel which makes the job easier (if you make one, verify it's 100% 'true'). It measures off the rim rather than the tire:
Alignment Jig_email.jpg

OP
OP
Compu-Doc

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you're not changing the ride height... I would just double-check your truck's toe-in with a tape measure (find *like* treads front/back, or use a marker line). If it seems 'right' then it's your call. I probably wouldn't then. If you changed any ball joints, tie rod ends or it's high miles, then a good alignment would be a good idea.

You'd be surprised that some dealers still verify tow this way. And I've had pit passes and seen them do minor adjustments with race and Indy cars in the pits with a tape measure. It surprised me and my buddy. I've done my vehicles with a tape measure too for years. Assuming all else hasn't changed, 1/8" to 3/16" difference front to rear on the tires (that's a 1/16-3/32"toe-in) is what I usually set at. If you're running oversized tires you might want to go on the higher side. 90% of the time, you're paying for a toe-in adjustment anyway.

Before you let your truck down off the jackstands, you double-check the ball joints and tie-rod ends. There's videos that show ya how to do it. Or maybe you have already.

Here's what I use for each wheel which makes the job easier (if you make one, verify it's 100% 'true'). It measures off the rim rather than the tire:
View attachment 530545
The only reason I'm changing the shocks is for the front end leveling. The truck only has 50000kms / 30000miles so nothing should be worn to the point of needing replacement
Appreciate everyone's feedback... always a great site...

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only reason I'm changing the shocks is for the front end leveling. The truck only has 50000kms / 30000miles so nothing should be worn to the point of needing replacement
Then absolutely.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Then you definitely want to get an alignment.

With IFS, when you change the height you change the tow-in. Ever see some trucks traveling over a highly undulating road at highway speeds? Their front wheels are wonky all over the place! LOL.

Cheers! :happy160: