Bilstein Top Coil Seat Install Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know how the Top Coil Seat is supposed to be installed when re-assembling the Bilstein's? I have a knew top plate and there is no marks on the top plate or the spring.

Does the thicker part go on the back side under the 2 studs or front side under the 1 stud, or doesnt it matter?

Thanks!

_simm_ns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know how the Top Coil Seat is supposed to be installed when re-assembling the Bilstein's? I have a knew top plate and there is no marks on the top plate or the spring.

Does the thicker part go on the back side under the 2 studs or front side under the 1 stud, or doesnt it matter?

Thanks!

Should only be able to go one way? Having trouble picturing it in my head it's been a while since I've installed mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should only be able to go one way? Having trouble picturing it in my head it's been a while since I've installed mine.

You're right the Top Coil Seat can really only go on one way. But the Top Plate (part with the 3 studs to mount to strut housing) that sits on the Plastic Coil Seat, that can be spun to sit on the coil seat in various ways. So I don't know if the thicker part of the Coil Seat should be in the back or front.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm attaching a couple of pictures. I pulled the Dodge Service Manual and looked at that. Sure enough it just states to put the coil seat into position, and re-install the top plate.

I previously had a set of Bilstein's installed and had what I call strut noise at low speeds (yes the washer was installed correctly). I had the Rancho Quicklift's installed for a few months and elected to go back to Bilstein's when Rancho offered me a full refund. So I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that these are assembled 100% correctly, and installed 100% correctly.

Attachments

• thin.jpg
    thin.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Thick.jpg
    Thick.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah. Well that looks right

Which picture? The one on the left or the one on the right. Both are the same strut. But notice the thickness difference of the part that I circled. I snapped the pic basically the same way that they will be installed in the truck. With the two studs in the back and the single stud up front. So when I loosen the spring compressor's where should that top plate be in relation to the thickness of the coil seat.

Again maybe it doesn't matter? It just seems like it would, and it seems like you would want both driver side and passenger side installed similar to each other.

Thanks for the response! Appreciate it!

_simm_ns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You see how the spring fits in that slot on the first photo. That's seated properly. The thickness tapers with the angle of the spring. ( i think that's what you're asking.. if not I apologize lol)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could have to do with the angle of the spring for compression and extension, I would wait till someone chimes in or take a look at stock truck and see if the coil looks more angled to one way or the other, the goal should be to try and keep the stock geometry as much as possible- hopefully someone will chime in- maybe check you tube for videos-

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking down on the top, you basically have 3 corners, one at each stud, 2 are curved edge and one is pointed, the pointed edge near the stud points outward to the center of hub. As far as where the coil ends up facing kinda depends on the rotation of the bottom seat and where you placed it. I don't think it matters but if you want place the thin side facing front near stud with pointed edge I mentioned (photo on left)

Last edited:

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
183282ebdc6cb7090c60cd1afd0812e3.jpg
my 12' 1500 looks to have the thicker part facing the front of the truck. So the stud above where the coil ends (1st pic) is facing the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much everyone! I ended up going and talking to my local wrench, and he said that it should not matter as long as the spring seat is seated tight to the spring.

I think I was just so paranoid that I would do something wrong and the noises I had with my last Bilstein's would come back.

Thankfully I got the new ones installed, set at 2.1, love the look, and absolutely no sounds like the old set! Phew! Now I will send the Rancho's back and never look back! :)

Again thank you all for the responses!

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks so much everyone! I ended up going and talking to my local wrench, and he said that it should not matter as long as the spring seat is seated tight to the spring.

I think I was just so paranoid that I would do something wrong and the noises I had with my last Bilstein's would come back.

Thankfully I got the new ones installed, set at 2.1, love the look, and absolutely no sounds like the old set! Phew! Now I will send the Rancho's back and never look back! :)

Again thank you all for the responses!

Pics or it didnt happen! :favorites13:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
congrats, clean her up and post some pics

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went and had it aligned today and all was good until I pulled into a parking lot late tonight and heard and felt a clunk in the front end. Doesn't happen all the time and caught me by surprise since all seemed to be perfect before the alignment. Seems like when I am braking at low speeds it was most noticeable.

I'm wondering if it's maybe sway bar end links. I noticed that my bushings were cracked and in pretty poor condition when I put everything back together. So I ordered a set of the Maxxlinks SMT-1300L.

Fingers crossed this is all that is wrong. It's most definitely a different clunk then what I had before.

I'll get some pictures posted in the next day or two! :)

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well here are a couple of pics. 275 65 R20 Falken AT3's. Crazy how small they can still look on these trucks!

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24