Bilsteins installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed my 5100s today set at 2.8", also installed mevotech ucas. Overall the install was pretty easy, took about 2.5 hours to install by myself. The ride is stiffer than stock, but it also feels much more responsive. Overall I'm very pleased with the setup. I also got my 35x12.50 cooper st maxx installed and they look killer! There's no rubbing anywhere and they clear the ucas just fine with no spacers. Now onto pics!
837f664155207e50fc738213de48ab31.jpg
43e564f7128d2568d353671ca4969d1b.jpg

These are about the best I could get with the current lighting. Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxaddict392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great, did you install spacers in the back also?

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
Looks awesome!! Glad to hear the install went smooth. Can't wait for mine to go up as well !!:favorites13:

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, every time I think I've got my mind made up on a tire size, I see another one on here that changes my mind! I finally settled on 275-65, and now I see this and think "nope, I want 35's". Damn you!! Haha. Looks great man.

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks great, did you install spacers in the back also?

Nope. I bought 3/4" spacers but did not install them. I don't think I will either. In the pic it's on uneven ground, but on flat ground it looks perfectly level.

Looks awesome!! Glad to hear the install went smooth. Can't wait for mine to go up as well !!:favorites13:

You'll enjoy it!

Man, every time I think I've got my mind made up on a tire size, I see another one on here that changes my mind! I finally settled on 275-65, and now I see this and think "nope, I want 35's". Damn you!! Haha. Looks great man.

I was in the same boat as you and finally said screw it and ordered the 35s. These tires actually measure around 34.5x12 and are fairly light for a 35.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Looks great!

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Looks awesome man!! I wish my install was that easy I had to jump through so many hoops

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
The ride is stiffer than stock, but it also feels much more responsive.
837f664155207e50fc738213de48ab31.jpg
43e564f7128d2568d353671ca4969d1b.jpg

These are about the best I could get with the current lighting. Let me know what you think!

On a scale, how much stiffer? I am thinking about doing some bils up front but am concerned about roughing up the ride.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a scale, how much stiffer? I am thinking about doing some bils up front but am concerned about roughing up the ride.

The ride is in no way uncomfortable. I agree a little stiffer, but very controlled. The ride is more comfortable than the stock shocks. You won't regret the purchase if your thinking about it. I did my fronts, now I am chomping at the bit to install Bilsteins on the rear now. The factory shocks suck!

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Easy way to explain it is, the factory seem to just float. The 5100s seem to keep you planted to the road very well, also the suspension movement is more crisp.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I also didn't install any rear spacers. Looks perfectly level like I wanted. It will settle out a bit and the initial cali lean will dissipate.

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
I had a 2.5 inch spacer in my Ram 1500 and thought it ride fine. The truck is still new but I wanted to change the tires out and thought I would change it all. I replaced all 4 shocks with Bils. I had the front set at 2.8 and a 1 inch spacer added to the rear. I got rid of the stock tires and went with Nitto G2's 295/60R20. I have a lot of compliments on the stance from friends with the new tires on. However I feel the truck drives worse now. I was hoping for a tighter feel after reading everyone's reviews on the Bils but the truck feels sloppy in the curves. I can't see the ride quality changing that much from 2.5 to 2.8. Could it be the tires? The tires have 38 psi so they are not under inflated. The are no noises coming from the front end and I hit any bumps it feels smooth. It just feels like I have to constantly move the steering wheel while driving thru a curve. I can't just hold it still.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2.5 inch spacer in my Ram 1500 and thought it ride fine. The truck is still new but I wanted to change the tires out and thought I would change it all. I replaced all 4 shocks with Bils. I had the front set at 2.8 and a 1 inch spacer added to the rear. I got rid of the stock tires and went with Nitto G2's 295/60R20. I have a lot of compliments on the stance from friends with the new tires on. However I feel the truck drives worse now. I was hoping for a tighter feel after reading everyone's reviews on the Bils but the truck feels sloppy in the curves. I can't see the ride quality changing that much from 2.5 to 2.8. Could it be the tires? The tires have 38 psi so they are not under inflated. The are no noises coming from the front end and I hit any bumps it feels smooth. It just feels like I have to constantly move the steering wheel while driving thru a curve. I can't just hold it still.

How many miles on the new tires? Add some air to the tires. I run 45 PSI in my new tires and it drives fine. But the first few hundred miles until tires are "broke in" it'll feel loose and kinda spongy.

CruzRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Any pics of your truck with the Nittos? Thats the tire size and brand Im considering. How bad did it hurt your mpg?

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3386b938024aa8877e113f3a4e4c81f5.jpg

So far I went from 15.5 to 16 mpg around town to 12.5. That's a huge drop but not unbearable.

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to a Dodge dealership today and had them check the work. They liked the way the truck looked and gave me some compliments which made me smile. They said everything looked good, the install was done correctly. They did say that the truck will handle differently now that I raised the truck up. I am starting to agree that the tires had to break in some because it is definitely handling better now. I think I have less than 100 miles on the new tires but can tell a difference already. Hopefully the MPG's go up some though.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks awesome man!! I wish my install was that easy I had to jump through so many hoops

What unexpected issues did you run into? I have been eye balling these shocks since so many like them. I have never installed shocks or any suspension components before.

So far I went from 15.5 to 16 mpg around town to 12.5. That's a huge drop but not unbearable.

I just got mine and it had 35x12.5's on it. Those tires, rims and front end leveling kit were the only changes to the truck. My dash read out was saying 12.8 and I was really getting 12.4. I just had long tube headers installed, installed cat back exhaust myself, as well as the K&N 63 intake and Diablo tuner. Now my digital readout is saying 13.8 but that is with my foot into it A LOT and a bit of idling getting some videos for exhaust note comparison. I think I can get up to 14.5 with normal driving.

I have thought about when I do get new tires going to 33's or smaller in general. But the 35's really do transform the look of the truck.

Where do ya'll buy the Bil 5100's at?

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
What unexpected issues did you run into? I have been eye balling these shocks since so many like them. I have never installed shocks or any suspension components before.

I just got mine and it had 35x12.5's on it. Those tires, rims and front end leveling kit were the only changes to the truck. My dash read out was saying 12.8 and I was really getting 12.4. I just had long tube headers installed, installed cat back exhaust myself, as well as the K&N 63 intake and Diablo tuner. Now my digital readout is saying 13.8 but that is with my foot into it A LOT and a bit of idling getting some videos for exhaust note comparison. I think I can get up to 14.5 with normal driving.

I have thought about when I do get new tires going to 33's or smaller in general. But the 35's really do transform the look of the truck.

Where do ya'll buy the Bil 5100's at?

Nothing with the bils it was my shop that kept adjusting them at heights that I didn't want. And they finally set them at 2.1

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing with the bils it was my shop that kept adjusting them at heights that I didn't want. And they finally set them at 2.1

Gotcha, just wanted to be prepared for any unforeseen hitches in an install.

Has anyone installed these shocks when you already had a 2" front end lift/leveling kit? I seen a comment from Bilstein on Youtube you can install the shocks and just leave them at stock ride height or remove and take it up. Which way is better? I like the look of my truck but I would like to bring the rear end up a tiny bit.

Last edited: