black flares on lifted white ram 1500 sport, need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please post a pic when you get them on. My Ram is Granite and has black wheels and emblems. I think I want black flares as well. I think I want the smooth ones, pockets seem to collect more dirt.

These flares look great On Granite Crystal Metallic

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After searching around I stumbled on some Mopar pocket style flares available at the dealer that I liked. These came on the 2016 Ram Rebel Mopar '16. They were about $90 more than the smaller 2500 textured flares but. These flares keep the same outline profile as the 2500's but they are wider and give more coverage (shows fitment for rebel, 2500, 3500 only due to front bumper design). They aren't as wide as the massive bushwackers but they aren't as narrow as the 2500 flares, sort of a happy medium for what I needed. They don't require you to move any emblems and they fit great imo. I added the 5/16-18 x 3/8" powder coated bolts from route66mods (available in many colors) to keep it all black.

My install takes extra time and might be seen as overkill but I have seen some people do it this way and it "should" prevent any paint damage.

1. Install the flare with 2-3 fastners as if you weren't going to remove it.
2. I used 3/8" painters tape and made an outline around the flare leaving a small gap.
3. I removed the flare
4. I then used 1/2" XPEL clear flim (door edge) and followed the outline of the painters tape.
5. Remove painters tape and reinstall flares and tighten.

If you look at the zoomed in pic you can just barely see the edge of the clear film at the rubber edge.

This was my first time adding flares with the clear film, so I cant give you any long term reviews so hopefully this lasts.

Parts:
1. Ram Rebel Mopar ’16 Off-Road style Black medium grained textured OEM Fender Flares P/N 82214577AC.
2. Matte Black powder coated fender flare bolt kit from route66mods.

Really like these, been looking for a while for something for my 2017 white bighorn. Think these will work just fine.

Thanks for the writeup.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I like them and they do a great job of keeping debris off my doors and fenders even with my MT’s. I wanted a more offroad look like the power wagon, Jeeps, TRD Pro and ZR2 of which all come with black flares.

Last edited:

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I like them and they do a great job of keeping debris off my doors and fenders even with my MT’s. I wanted a more offroad look like the power wagon, Jeeps, TRD Pro and ZR2 of which all come with black flares.

So, I have to ask.... If the flares can rub through paint, and we've all seen the pictures, couldn't it rub through a thin piece of tape too? I love the idea, and your truck looks awesome, and I want some.... I just don't want any long term damage.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I have to ask.... If the flares can rub through paint, and we've all seen the pictures, couldn't it rub through a thin piece of tape too? I love the idea, and your truck looks awesome, and I want some.... I just don't want any long term damage.

This method was not my idea, I merely was showing how I did it to my Ram. I didn’t use a “thin piece of tape” as you describe it, I used XPEL protective film, same film they apply to corvettes, Porsche’s, Mercedes or any vehicle/owner that wants to protect their paint from all sorts of road debris, rock chips etc.
I give no guarantees that this method works, this is my first time using it. You should search and determine the best way if any and go from there.

http://www.xpel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/XPEL-ULTIMATE-Stealth-PPF-Technical-Data-Sheet.pdf

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have the flates painted to match if my truck was not black.

Painted flares do look nice, it’s a personal choice. For me the purpose of my flares is to take the abuse from rocks, mud, sand etc. and keep that off your paint. Having them painted inside/out kinda defeats the purpose somewhat because now your flares paint is chipped. I’m still happy with my black flares.

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Congrats on your truck, I have the same and struggled with the same problem. I couldn't stand the 3/4 front flare it just looked incomplete/outta place, Bushwacker is expensive and I wasn't crazy about the way they looked. Id say paint white with black rivets but currently I have nothing except oem mudguards to offer some protection. I don't mind because my stance isn't super aggressive.

Last edited:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My flares came with a rubber edge guard that slips on top of the flare where it makes contact with the paint. When i took my factory flares off, the only protection was a very thin piece of foam tape. I think it would take a very long time to wear threw the rubber edge guard.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem is dirt/grit gets between the rubber edge and paint and as the flare moves while driving it acts like sandpaper on your paints finish. How long or how many miles this takes varies with driving habits and environments and if you never remove your flares you may never see it or even care.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
I like the black. I went back and forth too. It’s a nice look if your other accessories and your wheels are black.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
These flares look great On Granite Crystal Metallic
Those flares look like they belong on that truck. I like how the front contour follows the contour on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoMPG2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You've got a lot of work ahead of you if you're planning on getting rid of all that chrome. If you're not, then I would paint match the flares, because they kinda look out of place with all the white/chrome.

I don't plan on getting rid of the chrome anytime soon

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Those are some expensive flares JB... I hope you got a better price than I found.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are some expensive flares JB... I hope you got a better price than I found.

I thought the price was great myself. I had ordered/received a set of painted bushwackers for $800 a set and the paint didn’t even match and the fitment wasn’t as good as expected. I had to return them with the shipping on my dime which wasn’t cheap but I cut my losses and moved on to these.

These were about $320 at the dealer with tax approx maybe little less, amazon has them for $315. Seemed like a fair price to me for factory flares made in USA. My Local dealer has coupons online you can print and get discounts on parts, service etc. I think it was 20% off. They weren’t in stock but being a dealer they don’t charge shipping as they get in parts all the time so they had them in two days. Another reason I bought from local dealer is that if I didn’t like them I could simply return them for a refund versus me paying return shipping like I had to with the bushwackers.

I realized a long time ago you get what you pay for. I always try to select quality items, but find them at the best price. If I can’t afford it, I save up till I can versus going cheap, wasting my money on something I’m not satisfied with.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I was seeing $400, not $300. I've been on the fence on getting flares. I'm kind of surprised how much crap gets kicked up just with stock tires