Black soot on exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Hemi 5.7 Express. I have noticed that my Hemi and most other Hemi's have black soot on the bottom of the ends of the exhaust tips. I read that it could be a fuel/air mixture issue but with so many around that I have seen...is this something I should bring to my dealers attention? I have 8,600 on the odometer and do my oil changes at 3,000 miles and use 89 octane fuel.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I really dont know anything about it but I wouldnt worry about it
my guess is its just some carbon and is laying on the bottom from moisture in the exhaust tubing(weather, condensation, etc)

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 09 did it from the day I bought it til the day I traded it. I cleaned them about once a week until I finally painted the tips black....(****) the soot disappeared lol

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't noticed this on mine

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Normal. Some hydrocarbons (small soot particles) make their way through the exhaust. Also, the acidic nature of the exhaust gas will remove a very small amount of material from inside the exhaust system. Combine that with some condensation and ya got black soot.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yep, have had this with mine since day one but it always seems worse in the winter months. But that may be because i don't wash her as much in the winter...

websterc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
same issue. just paint them black and enjoy the free black paint day after day lol