Blown Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ollerich29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2l
A mechanic friend of mine told me I have a blown rod in my 98 1500 with the 5.2l and only 85000 miles. He was thinking it would be about 1k-2k to fix, but i found a reman for 2k and a three year unlimited mile warranty. We haven't looked inside yet to see how much damage it caused and it didn't go through the block, still no oil on the garage floor it happened 6/26 on the way back from camping. I'm hopeful that we can get it fixed on the lower end but part of me wants to replace. Any thoughts would be great.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
A mechanic friend of mine told me I have a blown rod in my 98 1500 with the 5.2l and only 85000 miles. He was thinking it would be about 1k-2k to fix, but i found a reman for 2k and a three year unlimited mile warranty. We haven't looked inside yet to see how much damage it caused and it didn't go through the block, still no oil on the garage floor it happened 6/26 on the way back from camping. I'm hopeful that we can get it fixed on the lower end but part of me wants to replace. Any thoughts would be great.
I hope your mechanic friend plans on digging a little deeper to see whats actually wrong with it before you throw an engine at it because its supposedly blown up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
what makes you think you FYI its "Threw a rod"? usually its a very violent process and most of the time you put a hole in your block unless you broke it right at the crank which is lucky.

Blown engines
Thrown Rods

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
my wife blew a rod in my old 360 Duster. She said it just "stopped", and there was smoke and steam. She was doing about 60mph on the freeway. I thought she had just split a rad hose. When I went to fix it, I turned the key, and all it did was go "CLANK". I got down on my belly, and looked at the engine, and there was a big split in the pan, and a hole in the block pan rail. When I tore it down, the cam was in three pieces, and there was no more cylinder wall between #3 & #5. There might be a lot more damage, but I'd seen enough.

OP
OP
O

ollerich29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2l
Pulled the motor found out i had a spun rod bearing (hope that's the right terminology), had a leaky gasket and coolant was getting into the oil. Ended up with some cylinder wall damage, so decided on a reman. Gonna get a new oil pump, timing chain, plenum gasket looks good. Anything else i should consider while motor is out? What is a good source i can get torque specs from? Thank you all for your help in advance.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can find the factory service manual for download here in the diy section. Has everything you need.

Perfect time to do any headers for a little extra grunt and do plenum

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get yourself a Cloyes 3028X timing chain. It's a double roller so it's much stronger than a single and it's only a bit more money. And no clearance issues, so you don't have to get a different cover.

And do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for Fel Pro stuff. I've read of too many re-gasketed engines that leak almost immediately after a freshen-up because the owner opted for cheap gaskets.