Bought a new truck have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hi all, Just wanted to say how much of a help this forum is, ive gathered alot of needed information after buying a 1995 Ram 2500 5.9 magnum. Got it off an old man who used it as a work truck for his contracting business until he sold the business awhile back. Truck was garage kept its whole life and was coated underneath too. Picked it up for $1,200. What ive done so far,
New battery, PCV Valve, New crankcase breather filter and hoses, New air filter, synthetic oil change with K&N filter, new spark plugs and wires, flowmaster 10 series muffler, two new front fenders, flushed transmission fluid and installed new filter, and a new tail light (was bashed out) going to check plenum gasket next but truck runs like a bat out of hell when floored, in the process of waiting on ac compressor to arrive so i can get started on that but are there any other things to look out for or check out to make it road worthy besides looking over the brakes and suspension? Again awesome forum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not sure how many miles it has on it but higher mileage 2nd gen trucks have a problem with the track rod end joint. You'll want to inspect that.

The plenum you know about. What I'd do is just inspect it from end to end, looking for the obvious leaks around the rear seal, transmission, differential. Pay attention to all of the axle seals.

Good luck!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum sir.!
Wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out the cooling system and install new coolant with some RMI-25 and flush again and put in more RMI-25 IN ABOUT 5K or so , also change differential oil and push out all break fluid and install with new . Also change power steering fluid. All these are things that most people never do , so on an old used vehicles this is a good idea.

Nice purchase , I'm gonna be buying me a project dodge truck in the future !

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks alot! It currently has 120,000, ill get on those track rod end joints soon, and no big leaks just a tiny dampness around the rear main seal, nothing to worry about though

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for the info RLK, the power steering fluid definately needs some changing as does the front and rear diff's, checked the coolant as it seems green and clean ill get on that as well, including the brake fluid. It seems as it doesnt have ABS, no fuse or pump as i could see, was that normal in the base models of these trucks?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info RLK, the power steering fluid definately needs some changing as does the front and rear diff's, checked the coolant as it seems green and clean ill get on that as well, including the brake fluid. It seems as it doesnt have ABS, no fuse or pump as i could see, was that normal in the base models of these trucks?

Yes it is especially for a base model. Also have a gander at your transmission fluid and keep a lot of tabs on it as you probably know from reading the forum.
Weakest links on a 2nd Gen Ram:
1. Transmission
2. Transmission
3. Transmission
4. Plenum
And 5. . . .Transmission

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yes it is especially for a base model. Also have a gander at your transmission fluid and keep a lot of tabs on it as you probably know from reading the forum.
Weakest links on a 2nd Gen Ram:
1. Transmission
2. Transmission
3. Transmission
4. Plenum
And 5. . . .Transmission

Hahaha i know thats why the first thing i did was pull the pan and flush everything, even put some lucas trans fix in just incase but it seems to be pulling and shifting good for now, just itching to check the plenum but have to find some time in the schedule :banghead::banghead:

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Welcome to the forum sir.!
Wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out the cooling system and install new coolant with some RMI-25 and flush again and put in more RMI-25 IN ABOUT 5K or so , also change differential oil and push out all break fluid and install with new . Also change power steering fluid. All these are things that most people never do , so on an old used vehicles this is a good idea.

Nice purchase , I'm gonna be buying me a project dodge truck in the future !

RLK, what kind of project dodge would you be interested in? Keep me updated when you find one, an older D200 would be a nice find

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can prevent a lot of possible trans issues with a shift kit, check valve delete, bigger cooler, and if you really feel like preventing stuff, different tq converter.

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
You can prevent a lot of possible trans issues with a shift kit, check valve delete, bigger cooler, and if you really feel like preventing stuff, different tq converter.

I was actually looking into a bigger cooler, im scared of the old one clogging up, and ive heard of them but whats the purpose of a shift kit?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I was actually looking into a bigger cooler, im scared of the old one clogging up, and ive heard of them but whats the purpose of a shift kit?

Solves flow issues and things like that in the valvebody and allows trans to pump in park. Firms up shifts as well

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Solves flow issues and things like that in the valvebody and allows trans to pump in park. Firms up shifts as well

**** i was wondering about the flow in park, when i worked in a shop we had a durango police suv that came in and the trans was slipping, remember that it had to be in nuetral while parked or youd overheat it. Appearently the cops running it left it parked for a few hours in park.. Yikes