Bought truck and 3 days later, engine needs replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time ram owner. I bought my 2014 ram big horn 4x4 1500 on May 31st. On June 4th I brought it back in due to a slight whining noise. Much louder under truck than in engine compartment. Happens in drive and park/neutral andngets louder with higher rpms. Dealership dug I’m and replaced the roller lifters which they said were worn. Stated the cam looked fine from what they could see. Then they unbolted the torque converter from the flex plate and started it up. Noise still there. They used the stethoscope and on the 3/4 and 5/6 bearing journals it sounded like it was about to grenade itself as they said. So, they decided to ship out a brand new zero mile long block for my truck. Putting it in this week. Pretty pissed this has happened but at least my 65k miles truck has a brand new engine right?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time ram owner. I bought my 2014 ram big horn 4x4 1500 on May 31st. On June 4th I brought it back in due to a slight whining noise. Much louder under truck than in engine compartment. Happens in drive and park/neutral andngets louder with higher rpms. Dealership dug I’m and replaced the roller lifters which they said were worn. Stated the cam looked fine from what they could see. Then they unbolted the torque converter from the flex plate and started it up. Noise still there. They used the stethoscope and on the 3/4 and 5/6 bearing journals it sounded like it was about to grenade itself as they said. So, they decided to ship out a brand new zero mile long block for my truck. Putting it in this week. Pretty pissed this has happened but at least my 65k miles truck has a brand new engine right?

Grandavi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Breaking in an engine is basically mostly about setting the rings. Don't floor the pedal.
You should vary the speed for 500-1000 miles (RPM being key), taking it up the scale to high RPM (under 4000), then low, etc.

Basically, take it through it's driving range, but avoid staying at a constant RPM/Speed.
After 500 miles, change the oil (this should have a break-in oil which I believe has zinc in it).
I’m OCD about this and would change the oil a second time at 1000 miles after. That way your know all filings from initial wear are gone. Do the filter as well not just the oil.

That’s my thoughts on break in.

Staying off the added boost of the Supercharger or turbo will basically ensure you don't put too much pressure on the rings to give it excessive force while breaking it in.

(Also... avoid just running it for a "short period". Make sure you run it to proper temp at the very least and drive it a bit before parking it)

… some will say... drive it hard. There are reasons why you don't want to floor it, etc... but you can decide for yourself. I go by physics over "this is what I do and it works for me". Just keep in mind, the idea is to wear the engine under load without damaging anything.

You could actually just ignore any break-in at all and likely be okay. But... like I said, I'm a tad OCD about it.

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people trade their vehicles in every 3 years. I put Redline engine break in fluid in my truck when new and gave it plenty of high rpm runs. I prefer to beat on my engines when new rather than baby them. Rough on things helps diagnose problems while under warranty, IMO. I changed the oil around 1200 miles the first time.

Grandavi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people trade their vehicles in every 3 years. I put Redline engine break in fluid in my truck when new and gave it plenty of high rpm runs. I prefer to beat on my engines when new rather than baby them. Rough on things helps diagnose problems while under warranty, IMO. I changed the oil around 1200 miles the first time.

A New vehicle's engine is normally broke in at factory... you don't have to worry about those. But I still baby it for 500 miles and then do an oil change.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Here’s a few pictures of my truck. Absolutely love it I just want to drive it already. Any tips for breaking in the new engine?
ride it normal varying speeds and always for a long period hour or so (heat cycles are what you are looking for).....no revving the motor do not exceed 5,000 rpm do this for 500 miles , then you'll be fine.......the main thing about ''bbreaking in'' a motor is heat cycles and low revs for 500 miles....imho, and countless owners manuals pretty much across the board with all manufacturers

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
The wait must be insanely frustrating. Your almost there.

OP
OP
Mopar man

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the truck back tonight! Running flawless and sounds great. I asked about the break in and they said there isn’t one. Reminds me when I bought my 2016 durango rt brand new, there was no break in period for that engine either. They said I can tow, drive it to the desert this weekend in 115 degree heat, whatever I want drive it like normal

Lee DeTro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking Ram, I bought my 2010 Crew Cab used with 94,000 in Aug. last year now 118,000+ I'm retired and we travel a lot from Prescott Valley, Az to San Diego where I retired in 2016, to No-Cal, Vegas, Phoenix :) That said the Ram replaced a 2002 Dakota special ordered new, that was heavy modified after warranty was gone, wrecked/totaled with 252,500 miles, motor untouched since new. changed to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles then changed every 4000-5000 miles. So good luck enjoy, this is the first Automatic I've had since a 1977 B200 Van with a 360 & 727. My Ram has the 545RE.