Bouncy bouncy after leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akinney10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi Laramie
Hi ya'll. I recently bought my first full size truck, 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with 4x4 off road package. I love my truck. So... my son (also an owner of same truck model) talked me into putting in a leveling kit. It was professionally done at a 4x4 garage and aligned, however, I feel a lot of bounce now. It drove like a dream before. I assume I should have also replaced the shocks. Can any one give me any advice on if this could be the problem and if so, what kind of shocks should I get? I am not an off road driver, just want a nice ride around Texas roads.

Thanks for any guidance and recommendations.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Put it back, and don't listen to your son? :)

Never understood why anyone would 'level' a truck. Bad gas mileage, doesn't look better to me. I could see lifting a truck for the look. Or if you off-road. But to level it? ewww.

OP
OP
A

akinney10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi Laramie
Well, I don't actually off road, but I do need to tow the occasional two horse trailer. Do you still stick with the "Ew" or would that make a difference? :p

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
What kind of kit was installed and what parts were replaced

OP
OP
A

akinney10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi Laramie
It was just the level kit from RC. To my knowledge, no other parts replaced.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, I don't actually off road, but I do need to tow the occasional two horse trailer. Do you still stick with the "Ew" or would that make a difference? :p

It wouldn't make a difference. A 'level' wouldn't benefit you at all.

Would go to scale, weigh the trailer / trailer, horses. If you were in numbers for towing, and it was sagging. Would look at fixing that issues, bags or something.

Level changes the aerodynamics of the truck.

Anyways, it's your thread and truck. I'll shut up about the level. I don't have answer to your question. I don't think one really would, unless you give more details.
e.g. like question about. what kit, what they actually did, etc... bouncing could be just too much air in the tires, or something done wrong.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Don't know why you're bouncing post-install other than a guess that your installer screwed something up. You'll want to adjust your headlights down if you decide to keep the kit installed. If you tow at night with a leveling kit, you'll want to adjust your headlights even more, depending on the tongue weight.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It was just the level kit from RC. To my knowledge, no other parts replaced.
there is your problem. No reputable 4x4 shop would ever install rough country suspension products. That's a jeep/truck accessory shop that pretends to know what they are talking about. Unfortunately

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hi ya'll. I recently bought my first full size truck, 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with 4x4 off road package. I love my truck. So... my son (also an owner of same truck model) talked me into putting in a leveling kit. It was professionally done at a 4x4 garage and aligned, however, I feel a lot of bounce now. It drove like a dream before. I assume I should have also replaced the shocks. Can any one give me any advice on if this could be the problem and if so, what kind of shocks should I get? I am not an off road driver, just want a nice ride around Texas roads.

Its bouncy because they most likely installed a 2" preload spacer and loaded the factory coil spring that will turn into a squeak. I see it a lot and just like you they think they are getting something decent and the shop just doesn't understand Ram trucks

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It wouldn't make a difference. A 'level' wouldn't benefit you at all.

Would go to scale, weigh the trailer / trailer, horses. If you were in numbers for towing, and it was sagging. Would look at fixing that issues, bags or something.

Level changes the aerodynamics of the truck.

Anyways, it's your thread and truck. I'll shut up about the level. I don't have answer to your question. I don't think one really would, unless you give more details.
e.g. like question about. what kit, what they actually did, etc... bouncing could be just too much air in the tires, or something done wrong.
Your Rebel comes factory with a Leveling kit. Just wanted to point that out..................... Power Wagons come with them too so you're not alone

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your Rebel comes factory with a Leveling kit. Just wanted to point that out..................... Power Wagons come with them too so you're not alone

Not sure which Rebel you have. But mine does not.

2021 Rebel comes from Factory with a LIFT with optional air suspension (which I have). Since the LIFT is not optional. It wouldn't be called a Kit anyway.

Same with PW.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Have that RC level removed. Go with the appropriate height strut system, Bilstein, fox etc. make sure to go at least 1” higher in the back, taller springs or puck back there will work to keep some rake for towing. You will need new longer rear shocks, get them to match the front struts for valving or it will ride weird.

OP
OP
A

akinney10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi Laramie
Thanks. I don't have a Rebel. It is a Laramie, but I added the level. It is after the level was put in (by a reputable 4x4 shop) the I found it to be "bouncy" in the front end. I tested the tires which are balanced and have appropriate tire pressure. I am new to large truck ownership, and am a female so "car stuff" is not my first interest. I will bring it back to the shop to have them check the shocks. If there is anything else it could be, please let me know so I can be sure it is checked out.

Thanks again.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply, but not very helpful.
Rough Country or RC are considered poor quality suspension components. Some consider all RC products to be of inferior quality. Although I have RC neoprene seat covers and the quality is excellent their suspension components typically consist of metal parts that rust, have poor construction and use spacers that quick_shifter explained earlier. No one knows for sure why you are getting a bouncy ride except the ride was good before the install. It has to be the parts or the installation so considering the shop used RC spacers chances are they are the culprit and it could also be they were installed incorrectly. Personally I’d return to the shop with your concerns and give them a chance to rectify the problem. You can always return to the stock setup. As IDSandman said Bilstein and Fox make reasonably priced level systems that offer a good ride. CanRebel makes a good point that if you tow a level on your truck may not be the best option.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks. I don't have a Rebel. It is a Laramie, but I added the level. It is after the level was put in (by a reputable 4x4 shop) the I found it to be "bouncy" in the front end. I tested the tires which are balanced and have appropriate tire pressure. I am new to large truck ownership, and am a female so "car stuff" is not my first interest. I will bring it back to the shop to have them check the shocks. If there is anything else it could be, please let me know so I can be sure it is checked out.

Thanks again.
I own the only Ram shop on the east coast specializing in Ram truck suspension. Take a picture of your front springs and I can have one of our preferred vendors on this forum set you up with a rock solid kit your reputable 4x4 shop can install. I help out members all across the country regularly through PM’s on here and instagram. We all come here for help and education

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Not sure which Rebel you have. But mine does not.

2021 Rebel comes from Factory with a LIFT with optional air suspension (which I have). Since the LIFT is not optional. It wouldn't be called a Kit anyway.

Same with PW.
A “level” is any height above the standard mass production model. Oem or not. A “lift” is not considered until heights are raised more than 3”.
Corvettes can lift the front up an inch to assist in navigating uneven and inclined surfaces and no one calls that a lift.
Putting a leveling kit on a truck makes it look like a truck. It’s an easy cost effective way to achieve a great look. If done properly the right quantity will be improved.
Since I’ll most likely be the one answering your questions when your air suspension fails because it’s not if it’s when. I’ll keep in mind that you don’t want it to be leveled

OP
OP
A

akinney10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi Laramie
I own the only Ram shop on the east east specializing in Ram truck suspension. Take a picture of your front springs and I can have one of our preferred vendors on this forum set you up with a rock solid kit your reputable 4x4 shop can install. I help out members all across the country regularly through PM’s on here and instagram. We all come here for help and education
Thank you. I will do that.