Brake and ABS warning lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty75

Reaction score
Both of these are illuminated now. I searched and found two possible answers, speed sensor, and or low brake fluid. I just replaced the speed sensor and the brake fluid is fine. What is my next step, the ignition key code trick brings up no codes.

BTW, I just replaced all the rotors and pads, and I replaced one of the rear calipers. Did I damage something. How do I get a ABS code if its not showing up?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ive heard on some vehicles, you need to flash or prime the abs system or something like that. I'd call the "Stealership" and ask them if there's any kind of ABS maintenance that needs to be done. You could also try reseting you pcm, just take the bateery cable off for 10 mins, then reconnect it. Just a thought.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
yes sounds like you need to reset the PCM like stated above .

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
I'll give that a shot in the A.M. I'll let you know what happens.

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
I reset the pcm this morning, :birgits_tiredcoffee no dice. I am gonna crawl under there after the rain subsides and visualy inspect whatever wires etc that are in the vicinity of the hubs.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you 4WD or 2? You replaced the ABS/speed sensor that is located on top of the rear differential?

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
4wd and yes I replaced the Speed Sensor or VSS on top of the rear diff.

Thing is, is that I did the front brakes 2 weeks ago, why now unless this is a completely unrelated problem.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck? Some have 4 wheel ABS and some don't. If you have 4 wheel ABS I wonder if you knocked a sensor or wire in the front during the brake install. I would follow the brake lines to each of the fronts and check to see if there is a sensor there or if the wireing is messed. Also I assume you checked for cracked wires to the rear sensor. It's entirely possible you got a bum ABS sensor in the rear diff too.
You mentioned you damaged something during the rear break install, what got damaged?

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
Its a 2006, and it does have 4 wheel ABS.

Nothing damaged during install only had to replace one of the rear calipers. I have already replaced the rear speed sensor, which is the rear part of the abs. But I have not checked the wiring due to rain yesterday. I'll be checking that this AM.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
This is a good one . Let us know after you check the wires . Im hope'n its a loose wire .

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
Inspected the wiring this morning, everything looks fine, the front has only one wire/sensor on the drivers side hub, and the rear in on the pumpkin as said before. I am not sure what else I can do, and I don't like to throw in the towel so easily.

Also I did not bleed the fluid as I was comprssing the caliper pistons, honestly never have, but recently heard that you can damage the ABS module doing this, anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
I know some people, instead of pushing brake fluid back into the resevoir, actally crack the bleeder, and let it come out there.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I did mine a bunch of times and found the best way for me :

Aquarium tubing off the bleeder valve into a clear bottle half full of brake fluid. Make sure the tubing is completely submerged in the fluid. Then bleed the brakes with your buddy pusing the pedal. That way, if you accidently leave the bleeder valve open too long it wont suck any air back into the lines/system/reservoir. Only the brake fluid. Just my experience.

Any luck yet with the ABS?

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
I used that method when I installed the new rear caliper, works well.

As for the ABS, if I don't get some other advice, than I have done everything I can and will be visiting the dealer :Grenade:. Sucks, but I have no way to tell if its the ABS module or not. This issue throws no codes that can be read with the freebee reader at autozone/advanced. Somebody said they might have to reflash the cpu. I have no idea why but I have to figure out what the problem is.

OP
OP
Shorty75

Shorty75

Reaction score
Well the mystery has been solved, but it's not pretty!

My LSD clutches grenaded, luckily not destroying the entire rear end. I am gonna need a new tone gear and new carrier housing with new clutch packs. Grand total $1400!:emotions122:

On the bright side my mechanic skills are not in question anymore! Whew! But my wallet is much lighter! Ouch!

Thanks for everyone who helped out, still pretty pissed about all the cool crap I could have gotten for all that $$.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
dammm c-clips .