Brake controller installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this under my other Thread but figured that wasn't the right place so I started a new one. I just received and installed my brake controller. I forgot to disconnect the battery before installing it but other than that everything went fine. I have an appt. tomorrow at my local Dodge dealer to get it flashed. My question is will not disconnecting the battery cause any issues? How about with the flash? I also didn't get a check engine light upon start up after installing the controller like some other people did.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I posted this under my other Thread but figured that wasn't the right place so I started a new one. I just received and installed my brake controller. I forgot to disconnect the battery before installing it but other than that everything went fine. I have an appt. tomorrow at my local Dodge dealer to get it flashed. My question is will not disconnecting the battery cause any issues? How about with the flash? I also didn't get a check engine light upon start up after installing the controller like some other people did.

Nope, not going to be an issue.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
M

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help, just making sure I have everything covered on my end because when I called the dealer the service tech gave me the old "since we didn't install the controller we can't guarantee that the flash will work on it"

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the help, just making sure I have everything covered on my end because when I called the dealer the service tech gave me the old "since we didn't install the controller we can't guarantee that the flash will work on it"

LoL but of course. They are adding a sales code into the BCM to enable the controls in the dash.

Now it all hinges on if you installed the right part number. They changed it a few times throughout the 4th gens life.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
M

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the updated part #82213474AB which shows that it works with my truck so hopefully no problems.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L

I just installed mine last week and enabled it with AlphaOBD no problem. Just curious what is the dealer going to charge you? Might cheaper to do it yourself.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
LoL but of course. They are adding a sales code into the BCM to enable the controls in the dash.

Now it all hinges on if you installed the right part number. They changed it a few times throughout the 4th gens life.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

First I have run across updated part #, but since I am new its no wonder. I need to get this done and my dealer where I purchased the truck said they are on back order, like maybe November. I was told I can buy a Mopar brand off eBay and it will work. Please tell me I haven't made a mistake since I just placed the order last night.

OP
OP
M

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased mine off Ebay for $207 and installed it myself. Took it to my local Dodge Dealer and they charged me $79 including tax to flash it. I dropped it off because I didn't want to sit in the waiting room as it's quite small and everyone sits very close. Service Tech called me 40 minutes later and said it flashed fine on the 1st try. I didn't hook up a trailer but I confirmed on the dash screen that it's working.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First I have run across updated part #, but since I am new its no wonder. I need to get this done and my dealer where I purchased the truck said they are on back order, like maybe November. I was told I can buy a Mopar brand off eBay and it will work. Please tell me I haven't made a mistake since I just placed the order last night.

What year is your truck and what part number did you buy?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a different one for the 5 th Gen, I got mine off E Bay controller module that I looked up on All Mopar.com 68277136AF is the one for my 2019.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Trailer Brake Controller Part Numbers

82213474AB ‘13-‘14

82214492AB ‘15

82215040AB ‘16-‘19(Classic)

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
M

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2013 1500 and the part number I used was 82213474AB.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Trailer Brake Controller Part Numbers

82215040AB ‘16-‘19(Classic)

Well I doubled checked the eBay page and they have what I purchased as a Part # 82215040AC which has only 1 letter different That what you posted. I read somewhere there was an update on this part and the dealer where I purchased the truck said they are on backorder. I sure hope the "C" at the end of the part # is the revised part number.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still working out some bugs as I do NOT receive emails when I get a reply... but thanks for the reply. My truck is a 19 Big Horn Classic with the 5.7.
The ebay page list the part # as 82215040AC.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Still working out some bugs as I do NOT receive emails when I get a reply... but thanks for the reply. My truck is a 19 Big Horn Classic with the 5.7.
The ebay page list the part # as 82215040AC.

The C is just the most current revision, you should be gtg. Let us know how it works out.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, No Tyme, you should be good. with that revision. I installed one in my 2018 last week - I posted on a different thread. Main reason I posted is the the back-order is for the KIT, with the bracket and three screws included.

My dealer sold me just the Module and Switch, which they had in stock. On my truck the metal dash brace seemed a fine place for two heavy duty zip ties and some high density urethane foam. No rattles, no squeaks, very solid.

In case you want separate part numbers for the '16-'18 ('19 classic), here's the info:
Individual parts: the Switch (P/N 68105206AC) and the Module (P/N 68092732AE).

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
The C is just the most current revision, you should be gtg. Let us know how it works out.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Will do... I have to get the bypass harness next but hope within next two weeks to get this done. I have lots of reading on the page for the app which I also have to download. Just hope

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Well, I may reach out and contact a dealer and see what they will charge for the flash. I already have the BlueDriver scanner but when I contacted BlueDriver and asked if their devise will work with Alfa OBD app this is what they replied:

"BlueDriver is a fully original design from the ground up and does not use generic components. As a result it is not currently supported by third party apps developed to work with ELM327 based devices".

The way I look at it is if the dealer will do it for the cost of what I now need to purchase (the Alfa app, security bypass harness & OBDLink MX) I may go that route just to give myself peace of mind that I won't be possibly screwing anything up.
Will continue to post results.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I may reach out and contact a dealer and see what they will charge for the flash. I already have the BlueDriver scanner but when I contacted BlueDriver and asked if their devise will work with Alfa OBD app this is what they replied:

"BlueDriver is a fully original design from the ground up and does not use generic components. As a result it is not currently supported by third party apps developed to work with ELM327 based devices".

The way I look at it is if the dealer will do it for the cost of what I now need to purchase (the Alfa app, security bypass harness & OBDLink MX) I may go that route just to give myself peace of mind that I won't be possibly screwing anything up.
Will continue to post results.

If they charge one fee, figure out all the options you could possibly want, and have them program them all at once.

I did that on my old 1500. ITBM, tow mirrors, puddle lights, mirror turn signals, remote start(minus keys), DRL, and a couple others I can’t remember. Worked great after that, I was able to just add the parts and it all worked.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40