Brake controller settings and instructions for a dummy. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
i recently had the factory brake controller installed at dealer. 2016 1500 4x4 crew cab. Instructions were non existent. I understand the whole let the truck roll and squeeze the brake controller and should allow for a smooth stop. Not enough or too much, adjust the gain. Currently set by them at 3.5. My main issue with is the dash indicator. I have on the screen a meter from 0-100%. Even without a trailer connected, when I brake to a full stop, I noticed the meter goes to 100%. When I am hooked up, will that only indicate the percentage of the brakes on the trailer? Do I want it to go to 100% when I brake the truck when attached to trailer or should it be less because I want the truck to brake more than the trailer? I can’t find any info on that part f the brake controller operation. Towing travel trailer about 6000 lbs loaded.

Thanks

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The brake controller is discussed in your owners' manual. The steps for setting the brake controller's gain are also in your owners' manual.

The brake controller is proportional braking, the trailer, when the gain is set correctly, will stop the trailer while the vehicle's brakes stop the vehicle.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
The brake controller is discussed in your owners' manual. The steps for setting the brake controller's gain are also in your owners' manual.

The brake controller is proportional braking, the trailer, when the gain is set correctly, will stop the trailer while the vehicle's brakes stop the vehicle.

I understand the gain. I’m questioning the meter 0-100%. Does it reflect the trailers braking power when connected to a trailer and what is the percentage you should expect to reach when braking with the trailer. Currently with no trailer it goes to 100% when braking

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I understand the gain. I’m questioning the meter 0-100%. Does it reflect the trailers braking power when connected to a trailer and what is the percentage you should expect to reach when braking with the trailer. Currently with no trailer it goes to 100% when braking
Neither of my RAMs do that, the brake controllers were installed at the factory.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The ITBC is a proportional brake controller based on what the tow vehicle is doing. 100% is akin to squeezing the sliders all the way closed in a manual brake application, but your gain/trailer brake type setting controls how much power is actually being applied to the brakes. Basically if you are going to a full stop scenario and you get to a full brake application the trailer is going to mirror the truck as the truck sees fit to do so.

I've only seen mine hit 100% under two conditions. During an emergency stop which it did a damn good job at doing compared to some of the after market controllers I've experienced (Smooth and nicely controlled) and with my foot buried stopped at a red light that's on a fairly decent grade. I have a pretty simple procedure to set my gain. I find an empty side street and do a couple fairly strong stops from 5-10 mph until I neither feel the trailer push me or pull me and then typically I confirm by using the manual override to stop me from a 2-5mph roll and see if it can hold the truck at idle. If I hit both of those conditions the ITBC works damn well and I typically don't feel any pushing or pulling when braking in traffic or normal driving.